
TERRI AGNEW: We'll go ahead and begin today's call. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. This is the NARALO monthly teleconference on Monday the 9th of June 2014 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Allan Skuce, Yubelkys Montalvo, Glenn McKnight, Joyly Macfie, Robert Castonguay, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Darlene Thompson, Garth Graham, Garth Bruen, Judith Hellerstein, Ogi Mitev, Gordon Chillicott, and Tom Lowenhaupt.

We have apologies from Alan Greenberg and Eduardo Diaz. From staff we have Ariel Liang, Silvia Vivanco, Nathalie Peregrine, pardon me. Nathalie is not on the call, I apologize. Heidi Ullrich, Joe Catapano, and myself, Terri Agnew.

I'd like to also remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. This is Garth Bruen. If the chair could read the action items. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Garth. It's Glenn McKnight for the transcript. Okay, the action items, it's in the middle of your screen. First item, Susie Johnson together, latest NARALO brochures. That's the one with the proper address. 50 English, 25 French, and 25 Spanish. It will be sent to

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

London and to Glenn McKnight for activities. Glenn will send his mailing address to Susie.

Second item, Heidi Ullrich to check on transcripts for ICANN sessions. Alan Greenberg to confirm NARALO election schedule and put on the wiki. Gisella Gruber and Terri Agnew to follow up on the turnaround for transcripts for all meetings.

Garth Bruen has suggested one single page for all the media listed. And last item, is for Heidi to follow up with Janice and Rob on whether the CROPP request can be submitted even before the approval. Back to you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen. Welcome to the June call. I appreciate everybody being here. I want to make sure that everybody refreshes the conference agenda, the teleconference agenda, to make sure you have the most up-to-date agenda, because it may have changed in the last hour.

We're going to have two main topics that we need to focus on. One is our pending election and the other one is preparation for ATLAS II if there is any time remaining at the end of the call, we can discuss other issues but those two are taken precedence over everything else. I appreciate your understanding with that.

So, in terms of Heidi, yes, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Garth, this is Heidi. Thank you. I'm wondering if you would like to have an update from staff on those various action items?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. Just on a couple of them, I think that list may be outdated, but if you do have any updates, that's fine. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you. Very quickly, so the one on the NARALO brochures, my understanding is that Susie has been in touch with Glenn, and that she'll actually be bringing those various brochures to London and give them to Glenn there. On the transcription issue, we have followed up with our language services, and again this is the transcribing.

And again, due to the cost issues right now and likely for the foreseeable future, that they will only be for the major meetings, the major sessions at ICANN meetings. The issue of Gisella and Terri to follow up on the turnaround time for transcripts, I think that's been done, on terms of, it's just the massive volume during ICANN meetings that slows things down.

In terms of the one page for all the media, we thought that was a brilliant idea. And Terri, did you just want to give a really brief update on that? I know that's coming along.

TERRI AGNEW: Yes, on the page?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, yes.

TERRI AGNEW: Yes, it is coming along. So there will be the main meeting page and from there, you can link to the individual pages for each meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Terri. So Glenn, as requested, there is going to be this one table with all of the At Large and ATLAS meetings, and from that, you'll be able to click on the transcript, on the recording, on the action items, etc. So they're working on that. Terri and Kathy are working on that. And the issue of the CROPP, I think that's sort of a moot point right now, because it's already, the webpage is open now, [?] 15.

And so you can already submit. So I'm just going to double check on that. And those are the updates from staff. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Heidi, this is Garth again. So one thing that may have been missed was the PowerPoint template for the London meeting. Is that something that is available?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely. That's already on the At Large summit page, and I'm going to put that... So this is the summit wiki page, and you can find it a little

bit lower on that page. Here's the summit workspace, and that is, it's already on there.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. All right. Want to jump right into our discussion of election. This is the time of the year where we commonly have our RALO elections and the other regions do as well. And this, of course, is also to synchronize the cross-RALO positions within the At Large advisory committee.

So, first of all, in terms of post, I'm just going to review which posts are up for reelection, reappointment, or not up for reelection or reappointment. Number one is the NARALO Chair which is currently held by myself, as an annual election. The second position is NARALO Secretary, which is currently held by Glenn McKnight, also annual.

We have At Large Advisory Committee Post, which is currently held by Evan Leibovitch, which is term limited, and Evan is at the end of his two year term, or his second two year term, if I'm not mistaken about that. So he cannot seek that post again for I guess another session, another two years. And there is another ALAC post, elected post held by Eduardo.

That is term limited but is not up for reelection this year. Those terms are staggered so we don't have a complete exit of leadership all at once. The third post for ALAC from NARALO is selected by the NomCom, the nominating committee. We don't vote on this. The nominating committee selects somebody who has submitted their statement of

interest. The nominating committee to be the NARALO representative to ALAC, that's currently held by Alan Greenberg.

We also have a NARALO nominating committee representative that is sent to the nominating committee to do the nominating committee's business from NARALO. That is currently held by Louis Houle, and that is a two year limit appointment, but after we reappointed annually. And just before I go into any of the details about some of these posts, I want to give anybody an opportunity to mention any posts that I may have overlooked.

No? Okay. All right. In terms of the actual elections and selections for these posts, this is not a campaign speech, it's just more of a bit of advice. The Chair and Secretariat posts, they're very, very time consuming. A lot of work goes into it. I've spent a lot of time working on it. Glenn has spent tons of time in his, you know, previous people who have held these posts, they can tell you that it can be extremely draining.

For these reasons, I don't expect or anticipate holding this post indefinitely. I am going to seek it again, but I also want to give other people the opportunity to have the leadership experience, to bring their own ideas forward. But just consider that when you are interested in one of these posts, that it is a lot of work. There is no money involved, other than the sponsorship to the trips, to the meetings.

And you may think to yourself, as I have thought previously, that you get sponsorship to go to the ICANN meetings, and you can get more of your own work done, but actually the complete opposite is true. You

get to do much less of your work, and you spend more and more time doing the region's work, and doing the At Large advisory committee work that is required there. So just keep that into consideration.

Now in terms of nominating people for these particular posts, we are going to have an officially announced nominating period, and this is very important. Do not nominate anybody until the nominating period has been announced and commenced, because if you nominate somebody before the nominating period, the nomination won't be considered. It has to happen, you know, after that.

So we're going to try and get the election announcement for NARALO out this week, and I'll make sure, you know, that everybody is aware of it, and everybody is aware of their opportunities to run for different posts. And anybody can nominate anybody. You can also self-nominate, okay? But in order to run for a particular post, you have to be a member of a certified At Large structure, or you have to be a documented unaffiliated At Large member from NARALO, and you have to be residing in the North American region.

You know, we're pretty open in terms of who gets to run for these posts. We do have some limitations which are very, very important to the way that our business works. And as far as the NomCom representative to ALAC, if you are interested in this post, you should submit your statement of interest, and we can get into the details of how that works too.

As far as the election goes, you know, once we have a list of nominees, and the nominees have accepted, we will close that announcement

period and being the actual election. Each At Large structure gets one vote. We vote by At Large structure certification. And if you've been involved in elections before, you'll know how this work and you know how the announcement goes out, and how you go about the business of voting. Now there are two hands up. I want to recognize Glenn and then Olivier. Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, I checked... It's Glenn for the transcript. What about the dot Mobi position. I know Murray has it currently. Is that up for renewal this year as well? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

I don't know, maybe staff will be able to help me out with that. I feel like it was only recently that appointment was made. I don't know what that is. While staff researches that, I will recognize Olivier. Go ahead Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Garth. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. So the [?] position is, I believe, a yearly thing, but it runs on a different cycle. It doesn't run on the NARALO cycle, it runs on the ALAC cycle. So I think the nominations will take place for any liaison including GNSO, ccNSO liaison, all of these nominations take place during the summer.

With regards to what you said earlier, I think you mentioned the NomCom appointee to the ALAC, and although this year, there will be a selection by the nominating committee to have someone from the

North American region selected for the ALAC, the nomination period for that, the application period has closed already.

That closed a couple of months ago because they have to make their decision by the end of the ICANN meeting that is coming up in a few weeks. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. This is Garth. Thank you Olivier for that correction. So if you are hurriedly writing your statement of interest for that after I said that, I apologize. So the applications are in for that and it is being considered, so that one has to be taken off the table. Okay. Does, okay... Then in terms of seating officers, after the election is completed, the officers will be seated or reseated in October at the ICANN meeting in Los Angeles.

Does anybody have any questions about the election? Before I answer anybody's questions, we'll go to Heidi who has her hand up. Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi for the record. Just a quick update on the liaison, including the dot Mobi liaison. They will be, reelections are for, before the AGN. So this time it will be in October, this next year. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So, is there anything that anybody does not understand about the way these positions work or the way that the elections work? This is your opportunity to get a question out there about it.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I have a question regarding the dates, when they're going to start the nomination period. And then, if I understand correctly, NARALO normally has consensus, and if not, then there is an election. So I just would like to confirm that. And if there are elections, of course we will be working with Ariel to work on the election [?], but we need to [?] and organize ourselves.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh, yes. Absolutely Silvia. So are you talking about consensus on what? When to have an election?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Correct. There are some nominees that have full support in case everybody did not have objections, we would have any calls for consensus, at all the RALO groups.

GARTH BRUEN: I just want to be clear. The consensus you're talking about is consensus on the schedule for the election, or consensus on the nominees?

SILVIA VIVANCO: On the nominees.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. Okay. Yes, absolutely, they have to be... Darlene, you have your hand up, maybe you can answer the question. Go ahead.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Hi there. Yes it in our rules of procedure that we have, rather than going through an election, is have a consensus. However, what we've always done is run an election timeline so that we have a call for nominations, you know, and then if once the call for nominations is in, only one person has applied for a position, then fine. No vote necessary, no consensus. If there is more than one, then we usually go straight to vote.

We have never tried to get a consensus in a position type of discussion. Does that make sense? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Darlene. This is Garth. Thank you for that addition, that's something that I overlooked. If there is only one candidate, if nobody else is interested in that, it's not an election we do a regional consensus

to put that person in the post. I prefer that we have competitive elections, I think that keeps everybody honest and thinking, but that is true. That is absolutely true.

And Silvia, we will come up with that hard schedule. I just went through this procedure in the call, so everybody is aware of the situation, aware of the different posts, and has opportunities to ask the question. We will get the ball rolling on the election itself as soon as possible.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. We can continue discussing the election later. We can certainly do it over email or Skype, and you know, once official announcement goes out, you're certainly welcome to ask question. But if nobody has any other immediate items about the election, we will move on to the ATLAS discussion. So, going into 3.2, London ATLAS II. We have still a lack of representatives from NARALO in the sponsorship group.

So if you are looking for a group to join, sponsorship group is looking for members. Also Judith wanted to let everybody know that there are opportunities to do a brief shift at the NARALO table through a Google signup. Judith, are you on the call? Nope? Okay.

I was hoping that Judith would be able to just tell everybody a little bit more about that. But basically, we have run various information tables at different events. We did in Toronto and everybody took turns

operating the table. It's a very important thing to do and it's also a good way to interact with the public.

Going down into the table, now earlier, about an hour ago, I received my hotel confirmation. If everybody who is on the Adobe Connect, if you could just put your checkbox up, the green checkbox agree up if you have received your hotel confirmation, and I will note it. Glenn, you had your hand up. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I just posted Judith's link to the signup sheet. So the URL that I put in the chat is, she's looking for 15 minute slots from two people at least for the table. So that's what she was going to report on.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I am looking at people who are putting their checkmarks up. I see that Joly Macfie is putting an X. But Joly, you're not going to be attending the meeting. There is a substitute, I believe, Joly, that is going from your ALS, correct?

JOLY MACFIE: Yes [?].

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Jonathon is not, I don't see Jonathon on the call. So Joly, are you saying that you don't know if Jonathon has received his confirmation?

Or are you just saying you don't have a confirmation because you're not going?

JOLY MACFIE: I don't have a confirmation because I'm not going. Jonathon at the computer privacy conference today, so he's not around.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I see that Allan Skuce has put the red X box up. So Allan, you did not receive a hotel confirmation? Darlene, you have your hand up. Go ahead Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: My apologies. My finger slipped. I did just mean to put up a red X, as in I have not yet received that hotel confirmation. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I also see here, Tom Lowenhaupt has, Seth Reiss has, Robert has, Constantine has, Garth Graham has, Evan has. Okay. And we will, and keep me updated if you haven't received that information. And in general, if you are having any kind of problems, please keep me in the loop. Since previous trips when people have problems, we keep a good record of any kind of travel related issues that people encounter.

And at the end of the meeting, we usually have a little tally and an examination of any issues that came up. And if we need to speak to constituency travel about it, we do that. We want to make sure that,

you know, people have as few problems as possible, and that everybody is happy. Okay. I am going to clear the different checkmarks unless people want to clear their own.

So just in terms of getting the details out, I believe that I have spoken to almost everybody about their details, and everybody did have a problem has had their problem resolved. And if you haven't, again, please let me know or let Glenn know. Okay.

Moving on to 3.2.2, in terms of the specifics of the actual London trip. There are three days on the agenda which are critical to us, to NARALO and At Large. The first one is Tuesday, and that's when we have our general assembly. And if you were looking at the schedule previously, the general assembly was at a different time. It has been moved. It was originally at 12:30, it's now at 11 AM. Make sure you make a note of that if you had the old time written down somewhere, or put it into your calendar, into your PDA.

So make sure you have the correct time. The other two days that are very, very important are Saturday and Sunday. These are the two days where we have the thematic sessions for ATLAS II. And as Heidi mentioned before the call, the actual schedule is up, and this should be at least the pretty much final schedule unless we're waiting on anything specific. Staff are we waiting on any kind of big events to be scheduled?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. No. I think that might be the last version of the schedule.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: While I have the floor, if I could note just for that Thursday, it's also very important day because, particularly in the morning, seven to 10, that's the closing plenary and that's when the declaration is going to be reviewed and hopefully approved by the ALAC.

GARTH BRUEN: What declaration, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's the summit declaration, the ATLAS II summit declaration, and that's going to be the culmination of all the thematic groups, applied thematic group reports, as well as likely some other information. And it's going to be drafted Wednesday night by the leaders of the thematic groups, and so it will be put to the group, the full group, on Thursday morning.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And after that, I think...

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth again. So just to talk about the schedule specifically, I sent out an email to some of you earlier today, specifically people who have not been to an ICANN meeting before. This may be your first ICANN meeting. I want to make sure that it's not a terrifying experience, so I'm going to invite all of you to join me for breakfast on Saturday, at the hotel, before our sessions begin. I mean, this of course is voluntary, but I would like to be able to meet with you and answer any questions, or resolve any potential problems.

I will figure out the time and location, but it will probably be between seven and nine AM on that Saturday, which is at 9 AM is when our first session starts, it's when our first ATLAS II session starts. And we will have general ATLAS II sessions until 1 PM [?] meeting. And then after that, at 2:30, at 14:30 hours the thematic sessions will begin.

So we have group three, global Internet. Group four, transparency and accountability. Group five, At Large community engagement. And group two, which is the globalization of ICANN. And group one, the future of multistakeholderism. Now, if you are not a member of a working group yet, take a look at these particular thematic sessions, and see what's going on inside them. Do we have any particular leaders of these sessions on the call? Just go ahead and speak up if you are.

UNIDENTIFIED: Garth, this is [?], I was going to ask a question.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, please, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED: Is it acceptable to... I notice there is a session for IPv6, what I did is I... It looks like it's going to be a panel, and using that as an example, would it be okay if I contact the person who is organizing this session and find out if I can participate in that panel? In general, would that be the road we take if we want to participate in particular sessions?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah I would say, most of the time these sessions are open. If you contact staff, staff may be able to put you in touch with the right person who is coordinating that session. What's the time of that particular session you're talking about?

UNIDENTIFIED: It's on Thursday morning. And I sent a note to the person who is showing as organizer.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Make sure, send a note to At Large staff, tell them you're interested in, they should be able to help you find that person, or at least get in touch with the right staff person. Olivier, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Garth. It's Olivier speaking. I was going to [?] about the thematic working groups very briefly.

GARTH BRUEN: Please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. I put the link over to the thematic working groups on the chat, and on the page which is referenced there, you will have all the different thematic groups. And then the selected subject matter experts, the session moderators, the assistant session moderators, and also the session reporters. So you'll note that there are quite a few people from NARALO who are volunteering for either subject matter experts, or moderator, or a reporter.

According to the survey which was sent, the last survey which was sent out today, I think in 99% of the case, we've managed to put people in their first choice, thematic topic. And for those people who have not responded to the survey, we've allocated them randomly. And I think that the list will be shared probably either later on today or tomorrow. I'm hoping that we can distribute it early enough so as for mailing lists to be created for each one of the groups.

And get you to start work on your thematic group. And I just wanted to emphasize, these are really, really important groups themselves. As Heidi said, each one of the groups is going to come up with a report, those are going to be all put together into a main report that will be agreed by the ALSs on Thursday morning. And then it will be voted on by the ALAC, and then presented to the ICANN Board, a statement, an official ALAC statement, and you can see where all of this [?] data goes. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Thank you very much Olivier. I mean, this is part of the reason we're here. And this is the space in which you bring your issues to the table and you figure out where they fit in, and you talk about things that concern you. Evan, are you on the call?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, can you give us a brief description of the future of multistakeholderism?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Wow. It's a very broad topic that is dealing with the fact that right now we have the concept of multistakeholderism that is as an alternative to government multilateral control of things that have been normally been done by treaty. The Internet has been run in a way that... The term multistakeholder has been used to a model of governance that involves all actors. That is, governments, business, academics, technical community, affected users.

ICANN is one model of that. It's not the only model, there are others that are in use places like ITF and elsewhere. But generally speaking, this model has been very effective in allowing the Internet to grow, stay open, and be free for innovation. Of late, there have been indications that some of this model is under attack, or at least severely reconsidered by some governments in the world.

The ITU, the International Telegraph Union, is looking to get more involved in Internet governance. If that happens, we're talking about multilateral control as opposed to the kind of multistakeholder model I'm talking about. So this is, these sessions are going to address multistakeholderism, deal with the concept, talk about ICANN specific model, talk about the things that have been happening lately about it, the challenges, and also certain events such as the NetMundial meeting in Brazil, that showed another model of multistakeholderism that was very useful as well.

And so essentially to deal with, how do we keep the governance of the Internet open, free, and give a voice to everybody that is affected by it?

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. Glenn, you have your hand up. Go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I noticed earlier that there was a missing spot for NARALO on the sponsorship group. I just want to point out for the record, that OG has volunteered to be on the sponsorship group.

GARTH BRUEN: Fantastic. Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Glenn, while your speaker is on, can you discuss briefly the global Internet user perspective thematic session?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I'm going to be reporting on that, and we, Judith and I will actually share that position. Yeah, the... It's being formalized now, so we should have more of an abstract for, I suppose, later this week.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Go ahead Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks Garth. I also want to mention one unique thing about the format of these meetings. Each of these meetings has three different kind of people involved, besides the participants. One is moderator, the other is reporter, and the third is the subject matter expert. They each have different roles in it. There is no leader in these groups per se. They're meant to be driven like workshop to encourage participation.

Moderator's role is there to essentially keep the discussion going. The moderator is not necessarily someone versed in the subject matter, but knows how to herd cats. That is the role of the subject matter experts who are there to provide background information, resources, if necessary, and are in a position to offer some expertise if the other people in the group need some background or some factual backup.

And the reporter's role is essentially to take this all down. And at the end of the day, draft this into something that would form the portion of an ALAC statement, document, manifesto, if you will, that will result at the end of this summit.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much for that description Evan. Now, another thematic group is ICANN transparency and accountability. Alan is the session reporter for that. Alan couldn't be on the call today, but I think this is something that needs to be discussed and people should be aware of. Being involved in the accountability and transparency review, is something that has been a big priority for At Large.

It's one of the most important ways that we can have an impact on the way that ICANN operates. In terms of keeping the organization honest, keeping the organization forthcoming about its information and agenda, and that information is huge in scope. And I believe that Olivier was the chair of the last accountability and transparency review team. Olivier, do you mind just letting people know what kind of work that entails?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much Garth. It's Olivier speaking. I wasn't the chair, and I wasn't even a vice-chair actually. I was just one of the participants, but Alan was the vice-chair of the accountability and transparency review team. In fact, Avri Doria, another person from NARALO was also another of the vice-chairs. The ATRT 2, as it was called, another one of these acronyms, looks at the various things.

First it looks at the first instance of the accountability and transparency team's work, and found out, and investigated, I'd say, whether the recommendations it had made a few years ago had actually been implemented. And it measured to what extent they were implemented, and made recommendations as to whether there should be more done in this area.

It also looks at the stability and security review team, with the security and stability review team report. That's another report that looked at the security and stability of the Internet. And that group made recommendations as well a while ago, and so the ATRT 2 looks at whether those recommendations were implemented as well. And then it also looked at the WHOIS review team efforts.

That's the, it's like a directory service which provides the real details, of domain registrants. And a domain registrant, and those recommendations that were evaluated as to whether they were properly implemented or not. And then finally, the fourth thing that I had to do, and that was plenty of work, was to make new recommendations based on the affirmation of commitment. The affirmation of commitment is the contract which ICANN has filed with the US Department of Commerce, and in there, there is a section, section 9.1, which looks at the accountability and transparency of ICANN, and basically makes sure that ICANN acts in the public interest.

And there are several subtopics within that section 9.1, which point to what ICANN should do and how ICANN should conduct its business. So the ATRT 2 basically looks at those subsections and made a judgment call as to whether those were being pursued or not. And in fact, cut those subsections into smaller sections and try to really dig deep and find out if ICANN was living up to its contract, and it has for the US Department of Commerce.

And in most cases, it found out that ICANN was living up to the contract. In many cases, it found out that there were serious improvements that were required, and so it made recommendations, a large set of

recommendations to the Board, and that was all drafted in a report that was given in December last year, December 2013. This was then passed on to the Board for action, and now the Board has six months to implement the recommendation that the ATRT 2 made.

The Board has not yet made those actions, those recommendations. It has six months so it has to the end of June to proceed forward. And so what will happen in London is the launch of a new working group that will basically push for the implementation of those recommendations. And there is a new cross-community working group that will be created on ICANN accountability and transparency.

There were also some recommendations made towards the GAC, that's the Government Advisory Committee. And that those recommendations, I had a meeting this afternoon with the chair of the GAC, and she has assured us that the recommendations that were made are being worked on as we speak. So they will have something to report, some progress to report, in London. And I think I've expanded a little bit much, but obviously this working group is particularly important because we'll be looking at the ATRT recommendations.

And we will also be finding out if you think ICANN is accountable. Or how can ICANN be made more accountable than what it is today? Often we hear from outside the community, well from outside of ICANN, we hear much criticism about ICANN being unaccountable. And this is our chance, and your chance, to bring your points of view and your recommendations to make this an even better ICANN than it is. That's it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Olivier. This is Garth again. Another thematic group is the globalization of ICANN. The session reporter there is Carlton Samuels, who is in LACRALO so he's not usually in this call, but I'll just mention this briefly. What is globalization of ICANN? Well in simple terms, the contract that ICANN had with the United States Department of Commerce is over.

And the question then becomes, well what does it really mean when the Internet is globalized? What does this mean in terms of specifics? And this is really a huge topic, and there are so many different considerations. I think that everybody probably has their own unique idea about what a global Internet, at least in terms of governance and management, what it looks like.

So if this is the future of the Internet, of what we're looking at in terms of the technical administration, and if this is something that you're interested in, then this may be the session for you. And then we've also got the At Large community engagement in ICANN. And the session reporter is [?] and Constantine. Constantine, are you on the call? Are you able to speak about this at all?

It's okay if you're not. Don't worry about it. These are all really, really important topics that require our full attention. Somebody has their hand up, Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Garth. It's Olivier speaking. I was just going to say a couple of words about At Large engagement in ICANN. That really is the core of our work. How do we get our At Large structures to engage more and better and more easily with ICANN and with the ICANN policy processes? And this is what this working group will be working on.

We're well aware that there are huge barriers to getting involved in ICANN. Primarily, the knowledge barrier. This is, you've got a certain, you've got a lingo associated with it, a vocabulary with it, and some of the knowledge that you need to have to be participating in working groups and so on is pretty huge. So it's not easy to get people who are not related to the Internet domain name industry, or involved in their daily life with Internet governance to take part.

And we would like to try and find some ways to ease the input from At Large structures and from Internet end users into the ICANN processes. And what better to discuss this than to actually have At Large structures take part in the, to work together to work some kind of recommendations? And that's it. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: No, this is Garth again. I think that everybody in this call is in a perfect position to be able to give their opinion about what is not working. And we've actually spent quite a bit of time in the last couple of years, trying to tweak this and tweak that and make certain access issues go away, or find replacements for things, find a better way of doing things. And if everybody sees something they don't like and they say so, it gives us an opportunity to address it.

Okay. Nobody has any more questions or comments about the thematic sessions, we will move on. Olivier, you still have your hand up. Is that an old hand? Okay. All right. We'll move on. So, we have two days of these thematic sessions. We're going to be very busy getting these ideas going and getting some solutions out there. And then of course we have our actual general assembly, which is a really, really good opportunity for us as a region to get together face to face.

Doesn't happen that often and it's very important, especially with an election coming up. This is a great way that we can all kind of see the candidates, and see the leadership, and have a discussion about ideas. And I am really, really looking forward to it. And I'm really looking forward to meeting many of you who I've never met before. And working with many of you who I've worked with before.

And this is a great opportunity. So, does anybody have any comments or questions about the meeting in particular coming up in London? Now as [Avi?] asked, there is a particular session on the calendar that he is very interested in. I would encourage all of you to really go through this schedule for the week, and look for topics that appear interesting to you. May be things that you're not familiar with that you want to learn about, or something that you have strong feelings about, and you want to get involved.

And actually going to a session and seeing a presentation, and hearing panelists, and then meeting those panelists face to face is a great way for At Large members to get involved in cross-constituency work. So then you get to see what other constituencies are out there trying to

shape the policy. There may be people that you disagree with. There may be people that you agree with.

There may be people who are seeking help and you know how to help them, etc., etc. So find sessions that you're really interested in and go to them. I believe that almost every session is open to every constituency. There are a few sessions which are closed door sessions. There are certain constituencies that have private meetings.

For example, the GAC has private meetings. The Board has private meetings. Registrars have private meetings. For the most part, all of the At Large sessions are open because that is why we're here. We're trying to get ideas, open participation, and make sure that everybody gets represented. So if you look on the calendar, you'll see that some of the session colors are blue.

Anything that's blue is completely open. Sessions that are closed are usually in pink and have a C in brackets, are closed. Now there may be opportunities for, you know, you to attend one of these sessions as a guest of somebody. I mean I've been in some closed sessions before because I was asked to be there or be part of the panel, so it's not something that is necessarily impossible.

And in terms of reviewing the schedule, I have a list from all of you of topics that you're very concerned about and work that you want to do. I'm going to be going through these different events and making recommendations to all of you, you know, for sessions that I know of, that may be useful for you to attend. And I'll be sharing those with you as time goes on.

Okay. Nobody else has any questions or comments? Moving on with other meetings, the next ICANN meeting after this one is in Los Angeles, October 12th through the 16th. There are some suggestions from Judith, CTIA super mobility week in September in Las Vegas, the Consumer Electronics Show in January in Las Vegas, and then South by Southwest in March in Austin, Texas.

Now South by Southwest is something I believe Glenn attended this past year. And I remember having a conversation with you Glenn about this, about whether or not this was, whether this was a good territory to do outreach in. And Glenn, what was your take away of that particular event in terms of recruitment?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I think it's a great event. I did it separate, not to promote ICANN or NARALO. I was there for other reasons. But I was pretty impressed. It's probably one of the best conferences in this part of the world. It's very innovative. Austin is a great location for creative thought. And we need to reach out to that part of America, so I think it's a great, great event.

And I believe Judith recommended that we go next year. Judith, are you there?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I am there.

GARTH BRUEN: Well Judith or Glenn, what in terms of Internet governance would be, I guess, of afford for the folks who attend that event?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Let me just mute this. So I think in terms of Internet governance, there is a lot of sessions. There are some sessions, I think, on Internet governance.

GARTH BRUEN: Judith, I think you might have hit your mute button again. But that's okay. We'll dig up some more details on these events. And if we can make any contacts with some of the event organizers, that's always useful to. I've reach out specifically to different, you know, conference organizers and speaking to those folks directly is usually pretty helpful.

I had a good meeting with the Black Hat organizers at RSA March. So then, moving on. If you have any other meetings, of course, always send them to myself or to the Secretary and we'll be sure to post them and just start doing research on them. In terms of our outreach, we've had a great year of outreach. We've just certified a whole slew of new ALSs. And most recently among them is the Manitoba, the E-Manitoba, which is Anthony's group.

Excuse me, the Manitoba E-Association. And we've actually got a couple of more ALSs, new ALSs in the pipeline who are about to submit their application. Glenn or I have been helping them out with their applications. So in terms of recruitment, we've had a really, really good

year and I think everybody should give themselves a good pat on the back for these efforts.

Because getting more community groups into At Large is the best way that we can do our work. So I appreciate everybody's participation in this particular area. Now that we've talked about our two main items, the election and the London meeting, I want to give any community groups or working groups a chance to report on work that they're doing starting with NomCom, with Louis.

Are you there Louis? Nope? That's okay. We will go and we will move on and come back. Do we have any reports from CROPP?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Hi, Darlene Thompson speaking.

GARTH BRUEN: Hi Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Thank you. We did, excuse the other phone ringing in the background. We did discuss a meeting on that this morning. The CROPP program, as you may know, has been extended to cover this next following fiscal year, fiscal year 15. There has been a few tweaks made to it. The ones that would affect us are that we no longer have to have an alternative traveler. We don't have to list that.

They thought that was going to make things easier and it didn't. [?] Also, the new CROPP this year will also cover registration fees, conference registration fees. So that's going to make it a lot easier too, because there are some conferences we couldn't go to because of high registration fees.

The one thing is really important that we need to look at like right away is, [?] has put in a request for the [?] I believe it's called, Glenn has already got me on this earlier, the IETF 90 meeting in Toronto. And has put in a proposal for that, but we don't have regional support on that. And the question that came up was, is there nobody in the greater Toronto area that could go to that for free?

If not, then does the region support sending [?]? If so, then we need to [?] on it, because it is coming right up. Thank you very much.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. This is Garth. I thought that Constantine had also had submitted a different request.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Darlene Thompson. I don't believe so. He did submit this request some months ago, and it had to be turned down for fiscal year 14 because it's outside fiscal year 14 parameters. So what we've basically done is basically [?]... even though it doesn't have regional support yet, and we can't consider it without that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I believe Constantine is typing something and I want to give him a second to finish typing. Yeah, okay. One thing that Constantine wanted to bring up is that he has unique reasons for wanting to attend this meeting, and he has different outreach agenda then the folks who live in the Toronto area have. So, I mean, this is probably something that should be discussed at least. Okay.

So we're running out of time on this call. This is something we'll keep talking about. Now, Gordon, if Gordon is on the call, you had a call earlier, Glenn mentioned, was this an ICANN related working group call?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: This is Gordon for the record. Thank you Garth. I believe he might be referring to the technology taskforce.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: This morning. A couple of items came up for discussion. One of them was the thorny issue of using, connecting to Adobe Connect from Linux. There are a couple of solutions to that, I call it one and a half, because I'm not confident of one of them. But the other solution does seem to work. There were some discussion on social media sites, well, a couple of solutions that are starting to come to the floor. There will be further investigation on that.

And I suspect the report might actually turn up in London.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. Before I move to ALAC, are there any other working groups who have a comment. I don't know if Louis managed to make it on the call. No? Okay. Then I would like to give the floor, oh, Glenn, you have your hand up, go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, we've been working hard at an accessibility working group, but I heard through [Genella?] that we will not be meeting. And I want to bring up an issue is that if we're cancelling meetings, especially the accessibility group, it loses momentum. So, I'd like to understand what meetings are being cancelled due to the ATLAS. I would have thought that we'd still have time in the week to have these type of meetings like accessibility or others.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, thank you Glenn for reminding me of this. I actually had a couple of meeting ideas that were squashed because I was told that there would be no time during the meeting. And I just wonder how much of that, I mean, how much time other than Sunday, Saturday, and then some of the more specific ATLAS II sessions during the week...

I mean, how much of the time is occupied by that realistically? Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi this is Heidi. There is little time. In fact, there are no working group meetings this time at the ICANN meeting, just because there are too many meetings. Starting Sunday, full, Monday... The Sunday session of the ALAC and the regional officers have moved to Monday afternoon, both are roundtables. On Monday, the general assemblies are Tuesday and Wednesday, for a long time, they're about two to three hours a piece. And then Thursday is full of the final plenary and the ALAC wrap up, and then the Board session, the public comment and the Board session.

So the only group that is meeting is the Academy group, which is a cross-community group. So that's where we are on that. Now most of the working groups are having updates on Tuesday afternoon during the ALAC work part two session.

GARTH BRUEN:

Heidi, this is Garth, thank you. So in terms of different constituencies is this just an At Large issue or are all constituency groups focused on constituency issues and not having any working group meetings?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, this is Heidi again. This is just because of ATLAS. So we have again, shift a little bit to Monday, all day Tuesday is full, the general assemblies in the afternoons. We have more ALAC working sessions all afternoon. Wednesday, our general assembly. And then we go into Thursday which is full in terms of the final plenary. And the wrap up session straight into the public meeting.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. This is Garth again. I want to make sure that all of our work, you know, gets lost. And I want to make sure that different working groups that At Large is involved in continue. So to that end, I'm going to try and figure out a way that we can at least squeeze in some discussion during our existing space without jeopardizing any of our ATLAS II work, to make sure that issues that we spend a lot of time working on get addressed. And anybody else can talk to me about that offline later.

Okay. Moving on to ALAC. I want to start with Olivier, if you have any ALAC specific updates.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Garth. It's Olivier speaking. And on the ALAC side of things, of course, we've got the standard policy development process which takes place. This is the pipeline that keeps on moving policy work forward. And we had a number of statements which were recently drafted. Let me just put the link onto the chat. First the link to the policy development [?]

At the moment we have three policy statements that are open. There is one which is currently in drafting, that's the fiscal year 15 operating plan and budget. The ALAC finance and budget subcommittee in which there are members of EURALO on, are making of this. Tijani Ben Jemaa [?] the first draft to be put out, and hopefully that will be out for comment very soon.

On the currently open comments for comment thing, we've got the ICANN draft five year strategic plan. That is the plan that ICANN is making to look at the future developments of ICANN in the next five years, and so we're currently commenting on that. A first draft of the statement has been prepared by Dev Anand Teelucksingh and [Rafid ?]. You're very much encouraged to comment on this draft and perhaps add a little bit more onto the draft.

The comment period for At Large is still open until the 20th of this month, so you've got another 10, 11 days to work on that. The third one that's open but has gone through the drafting or commenting process and is undergoing at the moment, would be Board member compensation. Alan Greenberg has written a first draft based on the things on the ALAC.

This is now, as I've said, being voted on. There are three statements at the moment which are written as to be confirmed or to be decided on. The first was the study to evaluate solutions for the submission and display of internationalized contact. And so we're currently looking at this with the WHOIS working group, well actually it used to be the WHOIS working group, it's now called the registrant issues working group.

And it looks at the moment as we might not have a statement for this, simply because it's still very early [?]. In the ALAC will have [such a?] plan in the future to comment. Then the registrar stakeholder group [?] revisions of May 2014. We've got until the 20th of this month to comment, having [?] and having asked our current GNSO liaison, Alan

Greenberg, the feedback has been that we'll probably not be filing a statement about this.

This is all about the expansion of the registrar stakeholder group. As you know, with all of the new applicants for new gTLDs, and there will be a lot more registries and a lot more registrars, there will be around and they're trying to do some internal reorganization to make sure that they're able to work with all of the new arrivals that are there. A bit technical, and I'm not quite sure whether it will really effect Internet end users. But you're very welcome, if you think otherwise, please flag this as soon as possible.

And then finally, enhancing ICANN accountability. That's a [free?] working group public comment. As I mentioned to you earlier, there is going to be a working group on ICANN accountability, a cross-community working group on ICANN accountability that is going to be created. And this really is basically a set of questions to try and set the theme prior to the London meeting.

It will be on Thursday. On Thursday morning there will be a session on discussing ICANN accountability. And it might well be that instead of drafting a statement, putting a statement in writing and then sending it to ICANN, we might wish to, as we have so many people, that will be there, you might wish to take fully part in the public session, and bring our input forward as individuals to provide details about enhancing ICANN accessibility.

These are the three that are currently, they are currently under consideration. And of course I'm open to any question if there are.

GARTH BRUEN:

Anybody have any questions for Olivier? No, okay. This is Garth. One other item that you should be aware of. On Monday, there is a DNS women's breakfast at 7 AM. This is a women's only breakfast. As much as I may try, I've never been able to get in. But it's something that is an open opportunity for people to attend.

Heidi, how would NARALO folks get notified about how to get into that? Okay, we'll find that out later. So moving on then to our next member. Evan, do you have any commentary about ALAC specific issues?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Only that specific things that I'm following in terms of my involvement on the new gTLD committee, has to do with the issue of public interest commitments and public advisory boards. This issue, the deadline for public comments recently ended. We've been waiting to get staff summary before doing a new meeting of the working group, but I sent out an email last time to the members to have a look at the comments that were received.

This is still... I hesitate to say it's a hot topic because it's already been advanced to the Board and the Board has rejected it, but it's still important to a lot of people in the community that are not letting it go, including myself. And so we're evaluating the public comments. ALAC put out the public comment because the ICANN Board didn't.

So we've received the comments back, and so now the trick of the working group is to get that feedback and see what action we needed to take next.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you Evan. Staff, I have a question for you, one more question about the London meeting. Do our ALSs have to submit a registration? Because I know in the past, just being part of ATLAS gets the registration moving, but I want to make sure that nobody is left out.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Yes, absolutely. They are all going to be participating in the ICANN 50th meeting, so they do need to register. It is online. We'll get that to you in the chat. That will actually allow you then to get the meeting tag that you need. So yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So just in case everybody didn't hear that. Everybody needs to go and register for this meeting, and we'll send out details about how to do that. And this gets you bag, and information packets, and a badge for the meetings, etc., etc.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. It gets you the swag bag basically. Information packets, everyone will be getting during the first plenary session on Saturday morning.

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, I did have the question previously about the DNS women's breakfast...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I've seen that. Judith and I have been communicating on the chat. So I think if you're a woman, you're invited.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. That makes it easy. All right. If nobody else has any further comments or questions, I will close this call. Look for information about the election. Look for information about specifics at ATLAS II in London. If you have any problems, any questions, please let me know, let Glenn know, let staff know. And we'll get those resolved as quickly as possible.

And I will be in touch with you all about meeting in person in London. And I hope to see you all there. Looking forward to it. Thank you everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]
