
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 64 Planning Committee call on Tuesday the 19th of February 2019 at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, and Jonathan Zuck. We have received apologies from Marita Moll. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking, and to please mute your lines when not speaking to prevent any background noise. Thank you, and with this, I'll turn it over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you very much, Claudia. Okay. I hope you can hear me. Our role is of course to go through the meeting agendas. Shall we just move straight on to you, Gisella, so that we can get started on this, please?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sure. Thank you, Maureen. Just to share that iScheduler came out, and there's still a few moving parts which Tanzania has said may have happen over the next week, but because we need to turn the agendas in for translation, if you don't mind, it would be very useful – and also, there's been quite a few changes – to go through the day-by-day agendas for ICANN 64, and we also need to touch on Wednesday's questions for the board, because those needed to be in yesterday. So

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

we just need to send those through today. We're already a day late on that.

Would you be in agreement, Maureen, just to go through day by day on what we've already got on the Wiki pages? So we'll just display the Wiki pages as we go.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That'd be great. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. And just for everyone's information, the latest iScheduler, which was under agenda item 2B is the iScheduler of yesterday as of 15:34 UTC. So please do take a look, but bear in mind that there are still a few moving items on that. So if I see any changes during the week, I will definitely let you know.

So if we can just go straight on to Saturday. There hasn't been much change there. We're going to have most of the day with the GNSO, except for the lunch, which will be the At-Large leadership development session with David Kolb. We'll have a 30-minute lunch session followed by a two-hour workshop with David Kolb, and I'm sure that you'll hear more prior to the meeting from Maureen about that. And then the last session of the day, which is 5:00 to 6:30, we have the At-Large leadership prep for ICANN 64, and it will appear on the main ICANN schedule.

Maureen, do you wish to say anything more about that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, but can we have scrolling rights so that we can actually see what you're – okay, great. No, I think that on that particular day – yes, we're bringing in León, and of course Xavier and the Finance team, so that should be a nice little introduction for our week in that particular session. But no other information.

I must admit the recommendations that have been coming through to David Kolb, I think he's been very pleased with them, and there's been some great suggestions that have come through. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he incorporates the many suggestions that have been made into that program. So I'm really looking forward to that. Thank you. You may continue, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just a question on that, Maureen, if I may. Just for the Saturday lunchtime session, do you wish to, at this stage, send any other notification out or anything else ahead of Kobe? And obviously, about a week before, I'll make sure that we point everyone in the right direction. I'll just be setting something up for – not next week but the week after, by the Monday before everyone starts traveling, just to make sure they've got the main schedule, that they've got our Wiki pages, and probably a few pointers just with regards to Kobe and surroundings and some useful information. But do you wish to send anything more out on this session on Saturday?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, we're working with David. I think that as he – I'll probably keep in touch with him just to ask him if there's anything that he would like to send out.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sure.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: Then we can go straight onto Sunday. So Sunday – thank you, Jonathan Zuck – we got the descriptions in for the policy workshop. On Sunday, we start from 8:30 to 10:15 with the At-Large leadership policy workshop one, subsequent procedures objectives for the At-Large community. Jonathan very kindly sent through the description for the session which will be posted in the main ICANN schedule. I checked about three hours ago and it still wasn't up on the main website, but that is going to be posted now or very shortly, and that is what will appear for that session. I still don't see it on the main schedule. So [that's what will appear,] that it's policy workshop, that it's part one, and that is the title of the session.

And again, I'll let Jonathan and Maureen work on fine tuning of whether there are any guests invited and whether Jonathan, on our behalf from staff, if you need us to do anything, I would very much appreciate if you could just make sure that you copy us in on any correspondence with any of your guests, or maybe once they've confirmed, to make sure that

we can follow up with a calendar invitation and that ahead of the schedule, we know that on Sunday morning, we're expecting XYZ in our meeting room [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. Will do.

GISELLA GRUBER: Lovely. Thank you very much. It really makes life easier, and also, the main point on there is that Yesim very kindly prints all the tent cards for us in Istanbul before she comes out to Kobe, and we also have tent cards for all our guests and we make sure that the titles are correct and etc.

We then have the second session on Sunday, which is the At-Large leadership policy workshop part two, which is balancing privacy with security and stability for the Internet end user. Jonathan, please do intervene at any time if you wish to add anything. I've just for now put the description here which has been posted again on the main website, and we may have a more detailed agenda, we may have names of people, but I'm sure that Jonathan will keep us well-informed on what's going to be happening there.

We have the lunch session, we have the prep for the board session. I've put in red at the top, to be added to one of the morning sessions is the board prep as well as the GAC prep. And I'm just looking at the agenda for the lunch session, which is the preparation for the questions of the

joint meeting of ALAC and the ICANN board. Maureen, would you like to add the GAC there as well, or would you like to do that on Wednesday morning ahead of the GAC meeting?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think –

GISELLA GRUBER: I'm just going to quickly go to Wednesday. I think we might have it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I think we actually had assigned a specific time for the GAC discussion; had we not?

GISELLA GRUBER: Well, we did initially on Sunday. Sorry, I am backtracking because I have a feeling that that is why I kept it there in the red, because we are preparing for the board questions, but I don't believe we've got a session to prepare for the GAC questions. And I've just gone through Wednesday, Tuesday, Monday and Sunday. I think we just need to slip it in there somewhere. Yes, it hasn't. So maybe we could do both board and GAC over lunch depending on how far we get. Up to you, but I'm just keeping it in red for now on the Wiki page.

we'll then go into the At-Large leadership working session, which is with Rinalia followed by the SSAC, and both have confirmed and both have received meeting invitations.

15:15, we will have GCSC and we are fine tuning the agenda there. It will run from 15:15 to 16:15, and we have quite a few people attending that meeting as well from a GCSC. I don't know if Olivier would like to say anything at this stage, anything more than in the evening at 18:00, I believe they will be arranging, organizing a cocktail event to which the ALAC will be invited as well. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. thanks very much, Gisella. I don't have very much else to add. We got the same e-mail. It seems like they're quite keen on meeting with the community. I think maybe the cocktail event – I don't know how large it is or whatever, if it's as very private cocktail event and so on. They probably have an idea that we're going to have hundreds of people coming over. But we'll clear this up.

It's apparently sponsored by the Japanese Ministry of Information Technology, so it's quite a high-level thing, which is great, and yeah, it's just landed in our mailbox half an hour ago. So we'll see how that goes. As far as the GCSC is concerned, I'm likely to try and push that – I know that our community's interested in the work, but we obviously need to be quite focused on the ICANN remit, so it'll be interesting to focus it in this way and to discuss it in this way. Thanks.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Olivier. So I will add the cocktail, I've just got to catch up on the e-mails in the last two hours, and we'll make sure that a notification goes out to all those concerned.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, Gisella, one of the things, they looked at the schedule and they found out that they appear to have half an hour more, 90 minutes rather than one hour, and that is of course because we've got Keith Drazek coming for the second part. Maybe this needs to be cleared up better in the schedule so that they know that they've only got that one hour and then that Keith is the next half an hour. A matter of formatting. Thanks.

GISELLA GRUBER: Absolutely. Thank you, Olivier. I'll make sure that they're aware they've got 60 minutes, not 90. I know they were quite keen to have 90, but I think the [inaudible] one is 120 as well, so I'll just confirm back to them. And then we have Keith joining us. Thank you, Cheryl, for clarifying the little introduction there for our meeting with Keith.

We have the joint APRALO, APAC and ISOC Japan meeting. We've actually got a meeting at – sorry?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If I could.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's okay. That's why I had my hand up. Just as I read it on the screen, it seems like there's a piece of grammar missing, because it looks like a presentation by the director of global commission, and Keith, is all one thing. so I think that's where the confusion happens, you see. So it's a presentation by the director, and then there is a separate item, and, like point two, discussion with chair of, instead of – that's what I was trying to get in. my apologies. You know what I mean.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Cheryl. I understand what you mean, that [inaudible] at the top there isn't very clear, and I understand it just all goes into one when we read the presentation by the director of the GSCS and the chair of the Generic Name Supporting Organization. We'll change that. But then the agenda in itself is fine, and then we'll put discussion with Keith. Yes, we'll change that. Thank you very much, Cheryl.

We've got the joint APRALO-APAC event and ISOC Japan. We acutlaly have a call on Wednesday the 20th of February at 05:00 UTC with Jia-Rong and his team to work on this just to confirm the agenda for this meeting, etc., so we will be fine tuning that later on today. We also already have an agenda here on the Wiki page.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, sorry.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just confirming that this is not on the public schedule. This is just on ours, right?

GISELLA GRUBER: No. Heidi, confirming that this is by invitation only and it is not anywhere on the ICANN public schedule.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: And again, I put by invitation only. I'm hoping that people will not just turn up to this meeting again. There's a very fine line, it's a sensitive matter of not putting the meetings here so they're not visible, and then on the other hand, every Tom, Dick and Harry turning up and it's like, "Well, it was on the ICANN Wiki page." So by invitation only. I'm hoping in that way, people understand that if you do not receive the invitation for this meeting, you're not invited to it.

I'm happy to take on any suggestions for that, because I think everyone knows how sensitive we are with these issues of having closed meetings. and I didn't put "closed," I put, "By invitation only."

We end a day with a 60-minute session with the ALAC and ccNSO meeting. Thank you very much for adding the agenda here. Maureen, was this you? And also, if everyone's been confirmed, I will then follow

up with the calendar invitations and coordinate this with Kim Carlson, who is the ccNSO support staff.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Gisella. That would be great. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. We will then swiftly move on to Monday where we have the joint At-Large and NCUC outreach. We have an agenda for this, and thank you, Olivier, I've got the Google document ready for [inaudible] up on the main page. And I know we're busy fine tuning the agenda, so once we have the agenda, hopefully by Thursday, Friday this week, Olivier, we will actually be able to post actual agenda here and we'll make sure that – and I believe off the top of my head, I've created a Wiki page for this specifically, which is on the ICANN 64 Wiki portal so that everyone can have the agenda. And I even recall putting your beautiful picture that you put up there, etc.

We then have the outreach event, which will also be a lunch from 12:15 to 1:15. And please do note that in the morning, we've got running against outreach the high-interest session on strategic planning. In the afternoon – thank you for the agenda, Daniel and Maureen, and we have Joan Kerr joining us there as well, the joint At-Large and NPOC session. I don't know, Maureen, would you like to say anything more about that, or Daniel?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No.

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. I don't see Daniel's hand up. I love it, don't get me wrong. [I've got the] agenda, I'm happy.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I mean to say that for example whoever's actually taking that session is responsible for informing you about who's actually going to be there, so that's Daniel's and Joan's session.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. And Daniel [inaudible] because we are on the call, just to make sure that I see the agenda here and I see that you will be moderating the session with Joan, could you please make sure that if you have sent invitations to everyone, just to confirm this with me? Because we need to make sure that everyone's got a calendar invitation for this, and if we need to follow up anything on our side, please do let us know. But as it stands now, I see that all the names are on the agenda, so I take it that everyone's been invited. But I'll make sure that I'll work with you, Daniel, to confirm this. Olivier, you have your hand raised.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Gisella. Can I just check one thing regarding At-Large and NCUC outreach? I see here room 301 KICC. Was the previous one room 301 KICC as well, or is there a change of room?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Olivier, I'm just getting to it. Room 301 KICC and room 301 KICC is what we have. I'm just, as we're speaking, going on to iScheduler to make sure I've got the latest version. Monday, we are in –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: At the moment, the iScheduler that I got from the –

GISELLA GRUBER: They're showing Topaz. Sorry about that, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that's what I was noticing. It is showing Topaz.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, that's why I'm waiting for latter part of this week to make sure I will then scan every single meeting to make sure that they've been put in the correct meeting rooms. But unfortunately, we are in Topaz, which means that we're not in the conference center, we're actually in the hotel itself. I'll make sure to change that. Thank you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this. And just another thing to add also, you will notice on the iScheduler that the CCWG-IG public session is taking place at the same time as the At-Large and NCUC outreach, and I'm working at the moment, just for your information, with Nigel to try and move the CCWG-IG somewhere else. I can't be in two places at the same time.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Olivier. I've seen and I'm actually on copy with the e-mail from Nigel saying that we actually need a chair for the CCWG-IG, so we can't have it at that time. Sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There you go. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: So I've seen that e-mail. For now, the outreach [inaudible] Sorry. So we will now move on to Tuesday, if we can just put up Tuesday. [inaudible] I'm terribly sorry. Tuesday morning, we start with an outreach session again. Daniel's leading that from 8:30 to 10:15. Daniel, please do let me know. I will be in touch with you, because I need to know that all the people on the agenda have actually been invited to the question if you wish to send [inaudible].

DANIEL NANGHAKA: So far, we have most of [inaudible] but [inaudible] follow up with the respective people, [inaudible] Back to Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Daniel. We then have the 10:30 to 12:00 – sorry, just bear with me. So from 10:30 to 12:00, we had the RALO, GSE and regional partners [workshop.] Maureen, is there anything that we need to do on that? And I know that you'll probably be needing to send calendar

invitations to all the regional VPs, and I'm not sure if [inaudible] RIR partners are on there, and I don't have any names. So if we could just make sure that we've got all the people who actually need to be invited, because for every single At-Large meeting, if there is a guest outside of our ALAC and regional leaders, I follow up with a calendar invitation for each and every person. So it's important for me to know exactly who needs to be invited. And I'm happy to take this offline, and I'll contact you just to make sure that I've got everyone lined up.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No, that's fine. I'm actually just confirming some names at the moment. So when they are all confirmed, I'll definitely get in touch with you. Yeah, will do.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you very much, Maureen. The At-Large regional leaders meeting, we have Satish chairing that, and I know that Silvia's been working on the agenda for that, and they've had a call. So I think we're good there. The At-Large capacity building session, Joanna sent through not only the description but she also sent through the agenda for that, and I will be following up with calendar invitations because she's told me that both Brian and Andrew have confirmed for that session, so looking forward to that session on Tuesday afternoon.

Wednesday morning, we start with a joint board and ALAC meeting, and as I said earlier, the questions to the board needed to be submitted by yesterday. So Maureen, I'll hand it over to you if you wish to add anything to that, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, I was just writing a note to myself to send that thing to you, and I'm lost.

GISELLA GRUBER: Not to worry.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I have an item later in the agenda, so maybe can we come back to that in a little bit.

GISELLA GRUBER: Oh, sorry.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No worries.

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. We'll come back to that later. Sorry, I've just thought in my head we need to act on that now. Then we've got the At-Large working

group session final preparation of the discussion points for the – oh, sorry, there it is. My apologies.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I thought we had that spare half hour. That's right.

GISELLA GRUBER: Maureen, you had it there. My apologies, and the transcription people are going to kill me because we're just talking over each other. But that is why it wasn't, it's just been beautifully [booked] as Government Advisory Committee. That's why it didn't stand out. So we've got that prep time for the GAC meeting. That's perfect.

so the Sunday lunch can be more for the board meeting. And always bearing in mind that when we have a 60-minute session with lunch, there's always a little bit of disruption. So, perfect. Thank you very much. I'm very happy about that.

Then we're going on to 10:30 to 11:15. We have an At-Large working group session with Jamie Hedlund coming to visit, and he has confirmed, so we're all good there, and I see that we also have an agenda. Then we're going on to the GAC meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, sorry.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Did you invite Maguy Serad as a courtesy to that session?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, that's right, [inaudible] do that.

GISELLA GRUBER: I will check if Maguy's added to the calendar invitation. Sorry, I'm just putting it under the [name here.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. It's just a courtesy. Yeah. Perfect. Thank you so much.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sure. Sorry, I've just put this in the notes. So, we then go on – in the afternoon, we've got two sessions running parallel, which is far from ideal for Silvia. Sincere apologies for this, but we have a little bit of a tight one with this meeting room.

So we've got the joint AFRALO-AFRICANN meeting, and against that, we've got the At-Large-APRALO meeting, which they've decided to hold one in Kobe, which will incorporate the February and March meeting, and we have agendas for both. Thank you very much.

And then that afternoon, you'll have the wrap-up from 15:15 to 16:45. Thank you for putting the agenda there. I'm not sure, Heidi and

Maureen, whether Göran and David have officially been invited at this stage. And Cherine. [inaudible] invitations.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so I know that David is aware of it, but again, we cannot send even an invitation to Göran's staff until we have questions so they can look at those.

GISELLA GRUBER: [That's a good point. Yeah.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: So that's another reason for the urgency in getting these questions, not only of the board but also for Göran, completed. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Heidi. We then have the third At-Large policy workshop, part three from Jonathan with the challenges and possible At-Large opportunities regarding universal acceptance. Again, Jonathan, I look forward to hearing from you whether we have any guests and if I need to do any follow-up on that. So that is our day on Wednesday, and we will then move on to our last day of the week, where we have At-Large debriefs and next steps for ICANN 65 in the morning, which is our first and only At-Large session that day. Maureen, I'm not sure if you wish to add anything to that, and then we just go on to the general ICANN meetings that day.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, I don't have anything. I'd really like to run something like we had at our debrief session in Barcelona, which I thought really helped us to organize this time. So again, to evaluate 64 and plan for 65. Yeah. That's it.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much, Maureen. I don't see any hands raised. So the next action item is the APRALO events, as I mentioned earlier. We do have a meeting on Wednesday the 20th at 05:00 UTC where we will be touching on the joint networking event to see the exact format as this isn't in collaboration with the APAC hub, so slightly different to our network evenings with the At-Large and the region hosting the networking event. So we will definitely update everyone on the agenda for that. We're not 100% yet on the format, but there will be a cocktail event, and that has already been finalized with At-Large, the usual what we call the showcase budget going into that, as well as DotAsia and APNIC kindly sponsoring this event as well.

The second point for the APRALO [event is the] ISOC Japan meeting. Again, we've touched on that. We do have an agenda. It is by invitation only, not to mention a closed meeting. So, does anyone have anything else to add to that? Otherwise, we will be able to update you probably within the next 24 hours. Sorry, 12.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I know that – and we'll probably discuss it later on – there'll be the APRALO, the At-Large booth, which is going to be apparently sited near the ICANN booth, which is quite [close.] And I know that Ali and the outreach and engagement team are working at really trying to spice that area up during that week to be good. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. And Glen has kindly set up a document, again, just to make sure that there is booth coverage. And I think that people will be adding their names as and when they see the main schedule and what other obligations they have.

So unless there's anything more on that, I'll hand it over to Maureen and to Heidi for the –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, board questions, I believe. I think we're on item five, so it's the At-Large questions to the board.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier had his hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much, Maureen. So, two things. First, a light-hearted one, which is unfortunate, but there will not be any GEMS, Global Equal Multi-Stakeholder jam, because we've not managed to find a venue. The hotel is on an island, would you believe it, and there's very little around the hotel. We're in a sort of isolated location, and it was impossible to find the right things and the right local partner to be able to get the instrument and all that. So we'll see you guys all in Marrakech.

That's one. And we're still trying to do a light GEMS, but it's going to be very difficult. A couple of people might bring their instruments and busk in front of the hotel. Who knows. That might be the ad hoc GEMS evening.

The other thing was to do with the Tuesday workshop, At-Large, regional At-Large organizations, Global Stakeholder Engagement and regional partners workshop.

The regional leaders had a call, I believe it was last week. I can't even remember. The recent call. They had no idea about this, and there were a lot of questions as to, okay, so who's going to run the workshop? How is it going to be put together? Etc. I really believe that this information here needs to be shared on the regional secretariats list ASAP and ask to follow up.

And second thing, I would like to say that in 3B, although it sounds really good to be RIPEN, it actually is RIPE. It hasn't ripened yet. And the other specific I-star partners, it might be good to also include the CENTR, which is the European TLD partner. I'm not quite sure why they're not

listed on there. if I understand, DotAsia and APTLD are regionally specific, but if AFTLD and dotAfrica are included, then I'm not sure why the others are not included as well. So LACTLD as well, etc.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Are you done, Olivier? Can I respond to that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. That was my question. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, thank you for raising it. And I must admit, I know that Daniel has actually discussed that quite a bit with his co-chairs, and I know that he and I have expected that co-chairs are relaying information that they are discussing within their outreach and engagement chat and other communication methods that Daniel has to talk to his co-chairs. And the whole purpose of the co-chairs is to share information with their RALOs about what activities are actually happening. And I guess with this particular one, that was probably more important, because we were also reliant on co-chairs providing us with information about the various activities that were going to be involved. For example, I know that within the actual regional grouping, the co-chairs were assigned to make contact with the RIRs to sort of see – and again, it was also to make them more aware and make contact within their regional organizations as to who they were, introduce themselves, bla bla.

As it was, I think it was actually Adam who introduced by e-mail me to Chris from RIPE, and so that's been done. We [inaudible] LACRALO and

LACNIC and ARIN apparently aren't going to be available. We've only just heard that. so I think it's just AFRINIC we still have to hear back from to see whether they're going to be available.

But yeah, I think that probably, as the organizers, we haven't been as conscientious about making those contexts ourselves, relying on our junior team to do that. But I suppose it's also because we've been busy sort of coordinating all the people who have actually been invited outside the external guests, and I guess once they were confirmed, then we'd actually have something to tell you. But yeah, okay, I guess we have to apologize that there hasn't been the direct link.

But I guess to that, being part of this group and the regularity that we've actually had discussing the sorts of things that are actually going to be included into the program, I assume that more questions would have come up a little bit earlier, but yeah, I have to apologize for that. Thank you. Thank you for raising it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Maureen, if I may.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much, Maureen. So what's going to happen now? is an e-mail going to be sent to the secretariats mailing list ASAP? Or how is it going to work? And then I've also noted that Heidi has fixed RIPEN to

RIPE, but AFNIC, by the way, is the dot-fr, French registry. I think you don't want AFNIC, I think you want AFRINIC. That's the other one that you might wish to have, AFRINIC.

And then do we need in Europe to get in touch with CENTR to invite them to this, or are we not inviting them to this?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No. I would suggest that you do invite them, [and] anyone else who's a regional partner. The whole point is to bring the regional partners – this is one of the reasons why we actually indicated the Asia pacific ones, because I knew who they were. And the others were asked, if you know that they're going to be at the meeting – and of course, some of the co-chairs may not realize who is going to be available, but at the same time, I assumed that the co-chairs are actually talking to the RALO chairs, and that's obviously not happening.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

No. Sorry. I know it's infuriating. You feel like taking a – was it a shoelace, a bootlace? And whipping them with that. But that's a different thing. That's an inside joke with Cheryl, by the way, this bootlace thing.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. I guess it's still part of the training hat we need to give to our co-chairs, and just ensuring that there is that regular liaison between them and the RALO chairs. It's a learning process.

Okay, was there someone trying to say something? Have you got anything more, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, that's all there is. Thanks very much. I'll put my hand down.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And I look forward to seeing that e-mail –

MAUREEN HILYARD: [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, I look forward to seeing that e-mail ASAP on the RALO secretariats. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Will do. I'll put it on my list of things to do.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have Daniel with his hand raised.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

I hope you can hear me. Sorry, I was on mute. One thing I'd like to mention is that I think probably there was a loophole in the communications part. Also the respective assumption of communication [inaudible] co-chairs.

One thing that [inaudible] requested for support from ALAC staff to be able to communicate respectively, [that hasn't yet come in.] But I like the action point that this [new information] be sent to the regional chairs immediately [inaudible] can be able to get potential feedback. And also, [inaudible] communicated with the different secretariats to be able to contact their RIRs in an e-mail thread, but only gotten limited feedback from that. So I still think it's not too late to be able to communicate since we've already got at least some who are confirmed. And still, I think there is need to follow up more. Thank you. Back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Daniel. Are there any questions or queries relating to... Goodness gracious, I'm going to go to the horrible cold temperatures of Korea and Japan tomorrow, and I think I'm getting cold already just being in New Zealand.

Are there any other questions or queries to do with that? Can we move on to the next thing, which was board questions? We had not had any questions related to the board. Holly put one in and [Marita] had put one in. What is actually on there at the moment is what – something that I was thinking, and in fact, what I may do is take it off and just discuss it with Cherine and possibly Göran so that that can be removed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Maureen, which one?

MAUREEN HILYARD: The first one which has my name on it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So the actual question, point one?

MAUREEN HILYARD: It's not just a question, it's actually the whole explanation, which I needed –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. I saw that. Yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thinking out in my head as to – like if I had to explain something. But Holly has written a question, and nobody else has. And Marita has written some suggestions as the board has actually requested some suggestions that they want as some advice on how they might be able to implement their strategic plan. So they've asked us for some suggestions as to what we would recommend them to do. Why are we looking at the GNSO questions? Okay, so I will remove that and I'll discuss that with Cherine and Göran myself.

So the question that we have is Holly's, and if there are any other questions, but this one is regarding what are the board's views on the challenges of the increasing use of social media as alternative electronic communications for business as well as the community on the budget, perhaps on ICANN priorities.

I must admit I attended the social media session this morning, quite by accident, but I'm glad I did, that Betsy gave an introduction to ICANN Learn– and it was just an introduction – and also that John demonstrated that a lot of social media tweets that are coming through from ICANN or wherever aren't being retweeted by the social media group itself, which is the main purpose of having the team and getting information from ICANN out to the region.

So I guess for Holly's question, it's sort of like – she's asking about social media being used for getting alternative electronic communications out for how do we get ICANN's priorities out to the regions if we're relying on the Social Media Group which actually isn't doing its job. So yeah, what are the challenges of that?

It's a question that's been posed. we don't have anything else at the moment. But I think that for example, although we may put forward a question, I think that the suggestions, the advice that the board is actually asking from us too as to help them with the implementation of their new strategic plan, what are some ways in which we can advise them on how they can do that more effectively?

So implementing the strategic plan is the first issue, but the other advice area that they were asking was, how can we help them strengthen their

relationship with ICANN partners. And it was that that – within our RALO organizations, we were already doing that within our region. I know that for example with Olivier, and I know from personal experience with APRALO, we both have really strong connections with our I-star partners already within our regions. And it's just that other regions don't seem to have that close contact that makes it more effective for when they're running events that we can connect with those, and it strengthens the relationship between ICANN through the RALOs with partners.

And I guess in a way, it would be quite good for Göran and board members and others to be able to come to the GSE and partners session that Daniel and I are coordinating, because it could very well show the strength of some of those partnerships already within some of those regions. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Maureen. It strikes me that if the only question you've got to ask the board is the one Holly's got there, you should cancel the meeting with the board, because that's an appallingly under – it's a subordinate to a question. It's not a question that's worthy of the board's attention. Rather, it's a matter that could be raised in part of the bigger issue, such as you just articulated. So yeah, please do tidy that up, otherwise I can't imagine why anybody, including the board, would bother to do that.

However, on the questions asked by the board – and that you've had distributed for a little while – I think I had assumed you would be

workshopping those over the lunch in preparation, and I think being able to refer to the meeting you've got with the key regional partners, if not getting them there – sometimes it's hard to get members there – perhaps it's going to be more useful to invite Göran to have a cameo appearance there than it would be to try and get an invitation out to him with the absence of questions. Just a thought.

There are a couple of things, such as the matter of the joint GAC-ALAC statements and our willingness to continue to work to get a plain language clarity for communications to be an integral part of ICANN's DNA. We don't seem to have got as far as we had hoped we would do by now. That would be worthy of perhaps being an overarching question which would include Holly's question, where the use of social media there might be appropriate, particularly because with using social media as a communication tool, you need a very short and concise hook, and people who follow a link on social media, if you haven't grabbed them in the first 100 characters, you're not going to get them to continue to read anyway. So it's probably even more vital that we have effective and plain language understandable communications if we're going to use more social media.

The other thing, I suppose, is while they're talking about governance models and partnerships, you might want to ask the board, have they considered [inaudible] partners purely external to ICANN's entities, or does it include ICANN's entities? In other words, are we as an advisory committee seen as an essential part of the partnership? A couple of thoughts off the top of my head, hopefully to get some juices going, because this is a very poor turnout of questions. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. And yes, I have to agree. And I did send out a message to the ALAC – and the ALT Plus too, I must admit – and Holly and Marita were the only ones who actually responded. But yes, during the lunchtime session where the whole plan was to workshop some ideas for the board, and I'm sure that over lunch, we'd probably get some really good suggestions. And I was thinking that – and it's probably one of the reasons why I didn't push the board question thing as much initially, because I thought that we'd probably get a good overview of some really good suggestions coming through. And in light too of the suggestions that have gone to David for example with regards to the leadership issue, absolutely brilliant suggestions going there. So I thought the workshopping for the board meeting could actually come up with some really neat, enlightening kind of suggestions there. People waiting. Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks. I think Holly might be asking a different question, which is this cloud that's been hanging over the DNS for a while now, which is people walking away from registering domains, and using Facebook as their primary webpage or OpenTable if they're a restaurant, or something like that. There's a trend away from building websites, registering domain names, etc. And that's why she asked what the implication is on the budget.

One of the things that came out of the CCT, one of the surveys we did was asking about that, and a lot of people are looking at hosting their

profile someplace else that's relevant to their interests. So it's using Flickr for your photography instead of creating your own photographer website, etc., and people just using free sites on Wordpress.com or Wix and places like that rather than getting a domain name, because search engines are making it almost equivalent to having one.

That's my understanding of Holly's question, and I think that is a bigger question than this idea of using social media for just communications of priorities. I think she was talking about the implications on our priorities and on our budget if people are moving away from the DNS.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I think I remember her discussing something like that. So maybe she needs to reword her question to make it a little bit more clear and incorporate that.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I think the use of the term "communications" is what confuses it. But I think that's really what she's asking, and I think that we can put meat on those bones and that can be a more interesting discussion, as Cheryl mentioned.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I'll get her to work with you then. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, again, given that the deadline was yesterday, I'm wondering if perhaps Jonathan could just revise this question, because we really do need to get them in. And my concerns is that going back to Holly, etc., will take some time.

MAUREEN HILYARD: You mind doing that, Jonathan?

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK: I don't mind. I guess I'm relatively confident that's what she's asking. Obviously, I'm a little concerned about doing it without her, but I'm happy to draft something along the lines that I just said.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. No, that'll be great. I'm sure she won't mind. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, so Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And I wanted to comment on something that Cheryl has mentioned with regards to whether the At-Large community or the ALAC is a partner in that global outreach. I've noticed that in recent years, certainly the Global Stakeholder Engagement department in each region found that in most of the regions – I can't say all the regions because I don't know exactly the points in all the regions, but I certainly know that in most of the regions, we've now been solicited by GSE, specific individuals by GSE have been funded to go out there and spread the good word and so on, and that's something which I've found to be something that's happening today but that didn't happen many years ago. So that's certainly an improvement.

That being said, I don't know if the ICANN Speaker Bureau still exists, but I don't recall that the At-Large community or ALAC was ever contacted by the ICANN Speaker Bureau. In fact, what happens is they tend to send board members all over the place, and sometimes board members – I'm really sorry to say – have no idea what they're talking about when they actually address those communities. So it's a bit mismatched sometimes.

And then finally, I wonder whether the centralized MSSSI department thinks that we are a partner. Because I certainly haven't seen very much coming from them to make use of our resources when it comes down to the outreach out there. Thanks. And that, by the way – even at IGF,

there is a lot going on for board members, but community members, even when we were funded in the past, always felt somehow like second place. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's interesting. Yes, we can mention that in regards to the [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And if I may add, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure whether this is a good topic to discuss with the board or a topic to discuss with the CEO. That's a question mark. SO handle with care, please. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Well, yes, we'll make a decision. I think that as most of these are mainly ICANN Org things – are they not? MSSl –the Speaker Bureau, was that a board one? Was that coming from the board?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. If I can jump in, the speaker bureau is like ancient history time here. Olivier's starting to get as long in the tooth as I am. But in the dim, dark, distant past, shortly after the [inaudible] era, the outreach and engagement group put together a "speakers bureau" which was to allow external entities' requests for interaction and information about ICANN to be met from a puddle of people.

We had intended, of course, for it to be more inclusive of community, but suffice to say, it was always a cautious approach to get anyone beyond people that – I was going to say well versed, but that’s not really the correct thing – well able to be assured that they understood and would be able to deliver the corporate view. That was another CEO ago though.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Right. We won't have to worry about them then. Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry, old hand.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Well, we've got some action items to resolve as soon as possible, especially with regards to the questions. And Olivier’s put his hand up again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thanks very much, Maureen. I don't want to belabor over this, but the “speakers bureau” from a past CEO is still contactable directly from the ICANN homepage. It says under “Contact us,” “Request a speaker,” you click on that and you end up with a speakers bureau thing. So I don’t think it’s dead. Or at least if it was dead, then it would have to be buried.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There's many rotting corpses that still need burying, my dear. That's just one of them.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just on the board questions, Jonathan is going to draft that today, I believe. Are you going to – we have another one in sort of draft form about the joint GAC-ALAC statement, and I think – and then possibly the governance model. Did you want to just flesh those out?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I need to go.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, I'll have to redo those. I'm taking that out.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. If you can do those two, and then Jonathan can do the one on the social media as an alternative source of working with domains, if we could do that by the end of the day, I can just let the relevant staff know we'll have the questions to them shortly.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That sounds good to me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Perfect. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Are you okay with that, Jonathan?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. He said yes.

MAUREEN HILYARD: He said yes. Okay. Right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. So, is that everything? Next meeting on the 26th of February. Okay. I hope I'm available. Okay, so that's our meeting. So I think that

we can call it quits. Is that okay? [And] get on to these questions?
Alright, so thank you, everyone, for coming and for joining in our
conversations. And thank you, Cheryl.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, everyone. Bye.

MAUREEN HILYARD: See you in Kobe, or hear from you soon. Okay, bye.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Take care. Bye.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you. Bye.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. See you next week.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you, everyone, for joining. [inaudible].

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]