ANDREA GLANDON:

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee Working Group call held on Monday, the 7th of January 2019 at 18:00 UTC. On today's call, we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Alfredo Calderon, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Ali AlMeshal, Judith Hellerstein, Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, Alberto Soto, Joanna Kulesza, Glenn McKnight, Maritza Aguero, Marita Moll, and Ricardo Holmquist.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogdu, and myself, Andrea Glandon on call management. I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes, and to please mute your phones and microphones when not speaking to avoid any background noise. Thank you, and over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Andrea. Welcome, everybody. It's great to have a good bunch of people coming along to our very first formal meeting of At-Large, and of course, an important meeting for us all with the request for additional budget for RALOs and At-Large to be looking at helping us to carry out the work that we have to do this year. Well, in the next fiscal year, of course.

So we're going to be going through the various budget requests that have been made already, and I'm going to ask Heidi to do that, to go through them, and we will [inaudible] quick discussion on each of them to look at whether we feel that they may need some work or whether they're appropriate, whatever. AND then we'll be just having a quick

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

look at some of the comments that the Finance Committee should sort of be making some contribution to with regards to the FY20 operating plan and budget as well as two-year planning consultation which is coming up as well.

So without further ado, let's get into the actual budget requests themselves. And there's the link which actually will take you to the actual page. So I think I've requested that Heidi go through these, because as you all know, a lot of them have actually sort of been completed under my hand, so I just want to distance myself from them a little ways. So Heidi, can you go through those [inaudible]?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, Maureen. Hello, everyone. Happy 2019, a very exciting year. Just, again, we did receive a total of 19 additional budget requests for the fiscal year 20 period. There were seven from ALAC and 12 from the RALOs. And just to let you know, again, on the schedule, this week will be a review by the FBSC, then we're going to be sending those back to the requestors this week, and next week as well.

Then on the 22nd, during the January ALAC meeting, the ALAC will review them. Then on the 23rd, the FBSC will review all of the revised comments one last time, and then those that are approved in their final form will be submitted by staff to the ICANN controller on the 25th of January. So we do have a good time to revise these, and in the past, most of them have been revised for the most part, so if you have been asked to do that, it is just a very typical process in that.

So let's start with the ALAC ones. Again, we have seven of those. The first one is – and I hope that you're all looking at the workspace. Thank you, Glenn, for putting that into the chat. Please do look at those. They are divided by ALAC and by RALOs, and there are descriptions along

with the title. The title is hyperlinked to the actual proposal, so you can

go ahead and follow along.

So again, the first ALAC one is the access by RALOs for funding of local engagement activity. This is the discretionary funding that you have had the last two fiscal years. The first year was \$10,000 dollars in fiscal year 18. This year, it's \$20,000. And what is being requested in this request is raising that to \$30,000, and with the additional item of having one activity per RALO be cross-regional. And that, again, will allow possibly one person from each RALO to go to the IGF. So I just wanted to highlight that is primarily why that element of the cross-regional is

there. So Maureen, any questions or comments so far?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Are there any questions? We have Alan.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I see Alan.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The question is, do you plan to mention in the description that you could use it for IGF? I'm not sure if that's a really good or a really bad thing to do, but something to consider.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, Alan. Yes, we will be adding [inaudible] and I know that there have been a lot of IGF requests, so this would be one way, if those requests were not approved, as no IGF requests were approved across the SOs and ACs and SGs last year, this current year. So just to guard against that, this request would allow a minimum of one person, at least one person to go to the IGF. Obviously, those in EURALO, since the IGF will be in Berlin, they could use their CROP funding for that as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, so it's a fallback, but not to be mentioned in the description.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, it will be mentioned in the description. Or are you saying that you think it should not be?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I don't know. As I said, I'm not sure it's a good idea or a bad idea. It may be a way to kill it, or it may be viewed as a good thing. But I'm simply saying you should make a conscious decision, because it could impact whether it's accepted or not.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I mean, it could be viewed as, "It's about time you made your own decisions on how to use money, and this is a conscious decision," or "We don't want to fund IGF through the backdoor, so we're going to reject it for that reason." So I don't know how it'll be taken, I'm just saying, think about it.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. I see a couple of other hands up.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I agree with Alan. I think we shouldn't mention it. But I also [want some] clarity, is it one per RALO in the discretionary fund, or is it just one overall?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you of the question, Judith. So currently, the thought, it would be each RALO has \$6000, and one of those activities would be able to go to the IGF. It's cross-regional, so whether you decide LACRALO wants to go for some reason to the African IGF, that's a cross-regional event. I don't know why they would, but that's just one option. I would assume that most RALOs would want to send at least one person to the IGF. And

again, EURALO could likely – they have submitted a request for the IGF ,but again, they could use their CROP funding for that too.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much. I think that it shouldn't be mentioned in the request that it is for IGF, because it could be used for other events. And it is better not to mention IGF, because there is – I saw that there is a veto against funding any IGF participation. So if you put it as an IGF funding, it might be rejected. And also, it might be used not only for IGF activities but also for another cross-region activity. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Tijani. Again, what we might do is just mention that one activity could be the IGF. But we could easily just leave it cross-regional activity, just leave it at that. It's up to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I think it is better to not mention IGF at all. It is a cross-regional activity [if you don't want to risk having it rejected.]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was just [inaudible] and I agree with Tijani in that we have to leave it

open, leave it as cross-regional.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Makes sense, yeah. We've got Glenn.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I've noted that. Just Humberto, good news that the request is for

the increase, but the really good news will be if it's approved. So let's

hold our congratulator -

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's true.

HEIDI ULLRICH: – until then. But I think, again, in the last two years, it's increased

\$10,000 per year. So if we continue on this trend, it would be \$30,000.

And all of you have been using it for really good purposes, so I hope that

they see that.

So let's move on to the second one, and -

MAUREEN HILYARD:

We've just got Glenn. Glenn's put his hand up, Heidi. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Just on this issue of the money and how it's spent, two things come to mind. One is a proper plan with this money. We've had our CROP plan requirement, which is not that major, because it's only three trips, but I think a systematic plan by each of the RALOs on how they'll use this money in a systematic way.

The other thing is, how does this money for these activities align with the GSE? So I think we need to have good communication with the GSE outreach efforts as well. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Glenn. Yes, any more questions before Heidi continues?

Thank you. [Go ahead, Heidi.]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Evin, I think you're on the call. If you could take notes, please.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

That would be really useful. Thank you so much. So again, the notes on this one would be don't mention IGF, connect with GSE, and to have an

overall outreach and engagement plan for these funds. And I've also just put in the current funding page so you can see how that works and what activities have been funded this year.

Okay, the next one is for two additional travel slots to attend ICANN meetings. So what's happened is that this — under Alan, there was a request that was approved, I believe two years ago, for two additional policy-related travel slots. That increased it to a total of 30 slots. In the current fiscal year 18 travel guidelines — or in the budget, sorry, in the budget for fiscal year 20, the slots are reduced to 28. So this is basically to put that number of travel slots back up to 30, and in this one, Maureen has noted that these would be for the outreach and engagement activities and policy.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Policy, yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, so basically go back to the organogram, and it would be – Maureen, I believe you're talking about people under the coordinators.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. I haven't specifically stated them, but because it depends, I guess, on what our priorities are and the availability of people and whether they – like some members that we would normally fund may have their own way of getting to the meeting, but I think that in order for us to be effective in what it is that we're wanting to achieve and keeping not just with the ordinary At-Large policy outreach but also the goals that we've

actually got for ATLAS as well as the At-Large review, keeping those in mind all the time as well, that we will lasses the use of the slots according to our priorities for each of the meetings. But that's, again, just focusing it back on what it is that we're actually wanting to do within At-Large at each of the meetings. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you, Maureen. Maureen, we have three hands up.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Maureen. Just a quick question here. When these requests — so these two additional slots were granted, were they specific feedback process to basically find out if these are successful or not, or was just basically they said, "Well, here's two slots for the year, and then next year, if you want two slots again, you'll have to ask for it again," or was it granted and said, "Well, this will go into core in future years?" Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Alan perhaps can add to that, Olivier, but I believe it was just – made the point of that we needed two extra slots for policy-related activities, and it was granted the first year, and then for some reason, it was retained in the current year, and this year, for the fiscal year 20, that was perhaps [spotted] and it was reduced back to the normal 28. But perhaps Alan can comment on that. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. Thank you. It was explicitly for policy-related to begin with. That is, the intent was to start to address the issues that were raised in the At-Large review of how do we get policy-involved people who are not holding a formal role within our travel plan to get to ICANN meetings occasionally. So it was explicitly policy. Last year, it went into base. It went into the core budget. They simply said, "We have 29 slots, plus the chair."

There was no requirement, although we did continue to use it as policy. The wording in the document that's on the Wiki says it would be for the two outreach and engagement and policy leadership roles. Maureen has indicated that is not what she wants to say anyway, but I would have advised very strongly against that.

To simply say we want 30 travel slots instead of 28, I think, is a really bad idea. I think we really need to link it to the At-Large review and we need to say we need to get more people involved who are not necessarily holding roles – they might hold a role – and keep it very flexible.

If we use them just to increase the number of travel slots for predetermined people, I don't think that's going to be well-received, nor will it help us support getting policy-involved people post the ATLAS. And we're trying to lay a base for that. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. Yeah, very much agree with that. And as Cheryl says, the flexibility thing, it's like the discretionary funding, I think we've got to allow for the flexibility and how we use it. But I agree with making sure that we reflect it in that way in the application. Judith. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, we can.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Can you hear me now?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, we can.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. So, I was a little confused by this. I like the idea of it being, like you said, trying to give new people leadership experience, but [then we need it to be] flexible and not allocated to the At-Large – to the

outreach and policy heads like it is now. I like the old way where we had a form and then a committee [review who decided] on it.

And I also think that we can also have something that the person who got it one time should not get it next time so that we can really use it to really get people who are doing a lot of work on workshops [inaudible] who are not funded to come. So that's why I think that we should keep it flexible and get more people there instead of just the heads that we've been doing now.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Judith, for your input. Tijani.

TUANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much. I think that the approach that we had to get these two slots is the best, since the review said that we are not working on policy. So it was specifically dedicated to policy work. And if you want it to be sustained in the future, we need to have metrics of success. We have to have proof of success that we present every time so that people see that it is really effective and it is really efficient to have more people working on policy in At-Large.

Outreach, I don't know why we need to bring people for outreach. Everyone is doing outreach, everyone is skilled in doing outreach. We need people to work in the content. We need people working on the substance. And this is what we don't have a lot of people working on. So I propose that we stick to the approach that Alan put [for] having these

two slots, and I also propose that we impose outcome [proof] of the success of these two slots. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. Alan again.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I just want to point out, Judith said I advocated bringing people there for leadership and leadership training. That is exactly the although I know in ICANN we call anyone who does any work a leader, I'm looking at people who do not have a leadership role but are active workers. I think that's a message that we can sell. But as Olivier points out, this was in core. They've reduced it. That should be part of the budget comment. That doesn't mean we don't also put something here. So I think we go in both directions.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right. Okay. I hope these are being noted down. Thank you. Alberto.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi says she's not sure it was in core. It was in the budget and listed as the number of people allocated. I don't know how else it could be interpreted. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Alan, it's just because the current – well, the fiscal year 20 draft

brings it down to 28 again. So it's not in core. It's not being proposed to

be in core anymore. That's why.

ALAN GREENBERG: Exactly. They're proposing cutting the core. Are they cutting other

groups as well, or just us?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I need to look at that.

ALAN GREENBERG: [Exactly.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: And I need to just go back and do some research on whether it was truly

in core or why it was kept in last year, and if it was an ABR from fiscal

year 17 or fiscal year 18. But let me – I hear where the conversation is

going. However, whether it was in the core or not, the fact is that the

current plan for the fiscal year 20 budget says it's not in that one.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Can I go to Alberto now please? Is there a comment coming from

Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO:

Maureen has already said that these two additional slots are related to the At-Large review. So we should mention that, because they're asking for [inaudible] what the review has said. I don't know, covering up any failures or whatever, but it's related to the review. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alberto. I guess that's a good point that both Alan and Heidi have actually raised, that we maintain that connection to the review right through, because that is going to be an ongoing thing for us anyway. Okay, I think we've exhausted that one. Can we move on then, Heidi, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. So the next one is a request by Maureen, and I believe the ATLAS III leadership team, this is an ICANN Learn leadership and chairing skills course for ATLAS III. This is an interactive ICANN learn course that would be connected to ATLAS III. I have already reached out to Betsy, who is the lead for ICANN Learn, asking her whether she has the funds or would have the funds in fiscal year 20 to do this without doing an ABR.

This seemed to me very much something that they would do anyway, so Maureen, I'm not sure if you want to wait for her response or if you want to move ahead with this one.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Well, if it can be done within someone else's budget, I'd be really happy.

But I just think that one of the reasons for putting it in was – I know that
the ATLAS programming team is looking at the prerequisite course

attendance before the actual ATLAS III in Montréal, and that this would be something that we could actually get people, not only the ones who are actually going to be attending the ATLAS III, but the others who want to know more about leadership development within At-Large. And it might incentivize them a little bit more to become engaged.

So if we can find any way in which we can encourage that, I'm all for it. But I think I'd like to perhaps leave it in for the moment until we get some feedback from Betsy, and if she says it's [inaudible] for her, then we can just [pull it] out. Thank you. Any other – Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Thank you very much, Maureen. I don't know why we need money for the ICANN Learn platform using for our attendees of the summit. The ICANN Learn platform exists, and everything is there. All the facilities are there. The content, we have to develop it if we need specific content. If we need general content, there is a lot. We can choose, we can select, we can direct our community to which content they have to go and see. But if we want specific courses, specific content, we have to develop it, and it shouldn't cost money.

If you want specific courses developed by people who are paid, this is another thing. But I don't think we need it. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. In this particular instance, I think I was thinking that if there may be costs in the actual development of the content, that we may need to have a working group that's actually working with the

expert programmers who are on those other leadership and chairing skills courses that might be needed.

But as you say, ICANN Learn is a funded section of ICANN, and I'm just hoping that they can take that over. Heidi, I see your hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you. So I wanted to just highlight that coming up in the next month, and then on a webinar, we will be having communication staff speaking to the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement on developing a communication plan, and then also in Kobe, there will be a facilitation by David Kolb for the ALAC and RALO leaders on leadership skills development. So I think it would be useful if we noted this particular one as one within a series of courses working towards implementation of the review, as well as preparing and sustaining ATLAS III as we move along. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO:

In the case of LACRALO, the plan was a training of leaders that was different from what would be there in Kobe, because in Kobe, the idea was focused on authorities and leaders, and the idea was to have other people that are not leaders yet so that when they become leaders, they would have certain ideas, certain skills for leadership. The idea was to do some exercises, everything [inaudible] related to this task that a leader has to perform at ICANN, but those people [would not be]

leaders yet, because unfortunately, that project was approved, but as of today, we haven't implemented it in LACRALO. I think it was included in FY17.

But the purpose is to have not only the leaders but those who want to be leaders in the future. Those going to Kobe are leaders already. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alberto, and I think that it'll be an ongoing process for us within At-Large to be encouraging that across all our different RALOs anyway. Okay, great. Thank you very much for those comments. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you, Maureen. So the next one is submitted by Tijani, the capacity building for underserved communities. Tijani, I know it seems like it needs a little bit of fleshing out, and what he's written is it's a pilot capacity building program for regions where ICANN does not go. It will be for Internet end users in two locations, including a small island and a small country in Africa, and he's asking for a total of two travelers for each of those two meetings, so a total of four, I believe. But Tijani, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. Thank you very much, Heidi. Indeed, this is exactly what is proposed, because as I told you, since several years, if you remember, I proposed this, but there was as problem of funding. And it was welcomed by a lot of parties to which I talked.

This is to go to people where ICANN never goes, so those people will never have the opportunity to be close to what we do, so to be involved in what we are doing. I think that we have the obligation to involve those people who wouldn't have any opportunity otherwise. So this is the idea.

Now, I didn't define the specific countries, because I need to discuss it with you, and also according to the budget. And also, we need to have at least one person on site to prepare with us this activity, because there will be only the trainers who would be traveling. Nobody from the working group or from the general At-Large will go with them, only the two trainers so that the budget will be acceptable, and we need people on site to help us to organize that. So we need to target countries where we have at least one ALS or one member there, and we have to target the most disadvantaged or underserved country or underserved region. This is the idea, so I propose it for you, and let's discuss it.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani, for that explanation. Let's go through some of these speakers. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I find this one a hard one. I could see approaching GSE and seeing if you want to do something with them, but doing it purely as an outreach over and above CROP, over and above the independent, separate money that we're asking for, I find this one would be a rather hard sell with a relatively limited benefit and outcomes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I understand, Alan, but if we merge it with the outreach activities, we'll never have it, because it is not an outreach, it is a capacity building, it is a training program. It is for the end users in some regions to make them aware of ICANN, what is ICANN, what is its mission, what is its activities, and also, what are the policy issues discussed inside ICANN so that those people would become interested and may join us. This is the aim of the operation. It is not an outreach, it is more capacity building, it's more giving them information and knowledge so that they can understand and they can be interested. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. Heidi, was your hand up ages ago?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Just really quickly, so Tijani, I tend to agree with Alan that I think that it's a very useful idea, and I think that GSE – it might be that you would wish to coordinate with them as they start preparing their plans for fiscal year 20, that you would be able to work with them where – and then that they might be able to support one person to go to these two places along with perhaps someone from GSE.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

And I would think that as we're going to now work closer with GSE, this is something that you could start discussing with them, and with Adam, who is the liaison for engagement and outreach activities. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. Exactly, Heidi. And thank you, Alan, also to say that. It will be done with the GSE people. It cannot be done without them, of course. We will do it in coordination with them, and if they can contribute with funding, it will be good, but we need to make the request to have funding for such activity, because otherwise, it will never happen. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Tijani. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN.

Yes. I like his idea, but I also think it needs to be done working with GSE, but I'm also curious why he's only targeting in Africa. We have many territories — NARALO has many territories in the Pacific that we can never get any ALSes on because it's too far from them. also, we have many territories in Canada in the Inuit areas where ISOC held a connectivity summit [which was very far out] that ICANN has never gotten to. I guess the thing is if we're [going to include someone,] we have to be more inclusive and looking at all areas, and maybe working something with the GSE in having a breakdown into the RALOs and all of the small islands, countries that [inaudible]. But as it is now, I think it needs a lot more work.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Judith, it is not restricted to an ICANN country. I gave two examples, but if you propose or if the ALAC or if the people here propose other regions, I don't have any problem. I specifically mentioned those two locations because I know they are the most disadvantaged part of the world regarding the connectivity, regarding their relationship with us, their knowledge about us, their awareness about us. This is why. But if you want, we can remove Africa and put any other region that is underserved, and it's okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Judith and Tijani, for that discussion. I just [inaudible] that the discussions that have been taking place in the chat with regards to the GSE, I think that we can't move ahead with anything like this without their support. And I had my hand up to mention, but I put in the chat, about the fact that APRALO [inaudible] looking at the Pacific, our GSE, Save, has contributed a strategic plan to look at how we might work in Oceania, and it's very reliant on his involvement, because his job is to go around within the Pacific, building capacity and really promoting the work of ICANN across the Pacific. We need to get more details on what it is that he does, but at the same time, that is his role, and we will be working in APRALO with him to sort of see what we can do. In that respect, therefore, to put in a separate ABR for it at this time may not be quite relevant until we actually have more discussions with them about what might be an appropriate ABR to put in to support what they're doing. So at this time, I probably feel that it's not as important [for] pushing at the moment until we get a definite plan also within our outreach and engagement and capacity building strategic plan that's actually being developed at the moment too. So although I

can totally see where Tijani's coming from with respect to the underserved regions and offering them something, we do need to work according to a plan, and we'll definitely keep it in the back of our minds moving forward.

Okay. We've still got a lot more -

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, just on this one, would you like me to send this to GSE? I think that first, Tijani, it would be useful to him to just expand on his thoughts on this, and then I could send this to GSE and see if we could carry this forward even without an ABR. The goal is to do all of these, but we don't have a whole lot of funding for any of the ABRs. So we're hoping to do this in a really creative way. And by collaborating with our other teams, other departments, that might be one way to do so.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. That's great. Okay, that would be a good start. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So if you could note that, Evin, please, Tijani to expand on this, and then I'll send it to GSE to explore the possibility of implementing this, even without an ABR.

Okay, the next one – and this is for real-time transcription, or RTT, of meetings, of At-Large meetings, this one in particular is asking for English, Spanish and French. And again, this is a repeat of a request that we saw for several years, last few years. There was an attempt to put it into core, but that just has not worked out. So this one would be an attempt to get that back for At-Large.

Maureen and I have been speaking about this, and the idea would be to have sort of a limit for this, this first year would be for six hours of calls, and that would be a two-hour ALAC call and perhaps four RALO calls or so. And it would be only in English given that by doing it in Spanish and French, it would significantly increase the cost of this. So let's hear from Judith on this. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Maureen and I were speaking about this. So what we did, from a past experience, some of the RALOs did not like – preferred not to use it for their calls, and [inaudible] working groups. And I think it makes good sense to be able to have people choose what groups they want [the fund for – transcribed for] because sometimes, they may not want it for a RALO call. APRALO loved it for their webinars. And I think we shouldn't make it so restrictive. I think we should just say it could be either for a RALO or a working group call, which is what we had before, and that seemed to be going well. So that's my suggestion.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Are there any other questions or queries? I think that from when I was actually putting it together too, it was looking at enhancing understanding of what was going on within policy and the CPWG meetings where there are quite a lot of technical terms that people, when they hear them, they don't quickly catch on to them. But once you see them in a transcript, at least they recognize that and can move on. So this was, again, focusing on engagement and policy for me. Okay, anything else?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, just really quickly, did you want to revise this for English-only and we ask for, let's say, seven hours a month?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, we'll have a look at that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

[inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, that would be great. Yeah, we will do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So Evin, if you could note that please. It's going to be English only, and we're looking for about seven or eight hours. We'll just increase

that a little bit and see what we get. I've been asking internally, and I think that there is a desire to see this come back. I think that everyone did realize it was a good tool to have, so I'm comfortable with this. Okay, I think – let me just go back to my main page here.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Just one thing, Judith, is that a new hand, or are you just [inaudible]?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

It's a new hand. We also need to be cognizant that when we say hours, we don't really mean hours as much, because ALAC is a two-hour call that takes up two slots, and the [consolidated] working group is also longer than an hour, and LACRALO calls are [half an hour.] So we need to really think, not necessarily say hours, but say calls so that we don't get [inaudible] at the end when we've run out of money.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

We could do that, but again, they're going to look at the cost per hour. So if we just increased it to ten hours a week, we'll be covered. How about that?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN.

[Let's go with that.] That sounds [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Moving on.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. The next one is for support for ALAC chairs, communications and travel support outreach networking. This is because our chair is in an island that has a monopoly of her Internet, and she needs more. So she's asking for some funding to cover her Internet. That's \$2000 for the year, and then also \$3000 for discretionary funding for her ability to travel regional or globally to events to participate, and particularly those in developing and underserved regions.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Can I just add to that?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Absolutely.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, thank you. Yeah, I must admit, in my discussions with Heidi, in the first instance, I'm actually having to go on – in order to cover the costs of my Internet use, since I've actually taken on this role, I can actually be paying over \$300 New Zealand for my broadband. I've actually upped

now to be paying \$300 for 60 gigs, which is the next level up. But this is what it's going to — I'm hoping that I can actually do everything within that. But it was costing me nearly \$200 for every excess gig over my plan, and it was just too much. So I've asked if I can have the plan that I'm on being covered. That would more than help me with the cost of just the connection.

Now, with the discretionary funds, again, this is probably considered a tall order, but the other alternative was to actually request funds from APRALO, which they did last year for me, and I'm very grateful. But I'm also cognizant of the fact that it actually took money from the region, which other regions didn't have to do to look after the needs of the ALAC chair.

The other alternative was to skip off funds from across the different RALOs to enable me to attend events that I know I'm not going to be able to go to because there is no other support. So it's a bid to get some funds to attend the two events that I've actually been going to over the last years, have been of course the APRIGF, which I've been quite an active participant in, and also the IGF. I think it's important. And [inaudible] the Paris activity at the At-Large booth, which is probably the busiest we have been. Even though we didn't have banners to indicate where we were, it was still a very active — and I did appreciate the contacts that I made and the heaps of people who wanted to come meet the chair. I felt really good.

But this is a request that I know is for me personally, but at the same time, I just feel if I don't make that request, I will probably feel that I

haven't done the best that I can do for my role as a chair, [and doing this, I can.] Thank you. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. A couple of comments. On the communication costs, I strongly support that these be funded by ICANN. I strongly object to them coming out of these kind of funds. I think it's something ICANN, through its Communications, same way as it funds teleconferences and stuff, should put some extra money into it if it wants. We want to be able to say that we can attract people from all parts of the world, and people who are not independently wealthy or have large corporations behind them, I think this is something ICANN should fund as one of its operational costs and not take it away from the other AC/SOs, because we're working out of a small pool here, and if it goes one place, it doesn't go somewhere else. So I feel that is a very strong obligation of ICANN, and we should not have to make a budget request for it.

On the chair travel, I am of multiple minds. I carefully never did put a request in for that kind of travel, because again, I didn't feel it was appropriate. I did get funding on occasion from ICANN through one means or another for travel to specific meetings. It was never particularly easy or pleasant. But I support the concept. Again, I'm not sure we should be using travel — the special budget requests to fund these kind of things, but on the communication, I very strongly say ICANN should fund it, but we should not be making a budget request to do it. Other people should not pay a penalty because of that. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan. Tijani. Tijani's got his hand up. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Maureen. Yes, I strongly support what Alan said. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you very much for that. So then the next ALAC request is

from the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement. It is submitted by Daniel, and it is for At-Large global capacity building at the 2019 IGF in Berlin. It is asking for two people. There might be some references to six. [inaudible] actually did ask to change that to two people who would be participating in the IGF through workshops, panels, etc., to help at the booth, and it's also to get some materials for

the IGF as well. I think that's the extent of that request.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Questions, queries?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, we have Alan and Tijani.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Alan. Sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Based on past experience, I think this has zero chance of being funded, and therefore, at some level, it may reflect badly on us for even asking. If it is being asked for, it should be asked for by the ALAC, not an outreach group. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Maureen. Title is capacity building, but there is no capacity building in the description Daniel made. So first of all, I propose to change the title. It is not capacity building at all. And second, as it is described, I don't know what is the mission of people who are there. They will do outreach. If it is to support people who have workshops, it is good. But it must be written like this, not to make outreach, etc. Everyone who goes there go to the booth and have his part in keeping the booth, etc. So the most important thing is people who are giving substantial contribution in the IGF, and in this case, it will be a good request. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Tijani. Yeah, unfortunately, I too feel that it probably needs a lot more rewriting and a lot more focus. I have a bit of a concern about outreaching to the 2900 participants at the IGF, which is probably not very relevant at this particular point in time with regards to the relevance of 2900 participants at IGF to ICANN.

So yeah, probably a rewrite and adding more focus on what the actual purpose of the activity is going to be. So we'll have to relook at that one, probably not accepting it in its current form. Any other questions or queries on that? Okay. I'm basing it on our previous experience that we've had. I think we've put in some pretty thoughtful applications in the past that have been rejected, so we need to really work on this one if we're actually going to put anything forward at all. And as Alan and others have said, the success rate is not expected to be high. Right, so moving on.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, yeah. So Maureen, we're going to go into the 12 RALO requests. Now, just a time check, we have about 30 minutes left, 34 minutes left.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

30 minutes, yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So we're going to need to go a little faster.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So I'm going to speed up a little bit. The first one is a cross-RALO. It looks like it's a cross-RALO one even though it was Eduardo submitting it. This is a request for At-Large livestream broadcasting, and the

request is for the RALOs to have full broadcast capability to help them engage with their community in a regular and systematic fashion. They're looking to use broadcasting [inaudible] such as Livestream and/or Zoom to enable the RALOs to organize within their own regions. So I'll stop there.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. Any questions or queries on this one? Is it a goer? Marita.

MARITA MOLL:

Hi. Yes, I feel that his would be a really good addition to our toolbox of reaching people outside of our bubble. We don't have any way to reach out that is really easy for people everywhere, just one click and you're in. I see that ISOC is using this, and they're using it very effectively. We here in Canada with a couple of our events have had some limited access to it, and it did increase our reach by 30%. So we think that — we're asking for a limited period to test this, and it's not expensive, it's going to cost \$1000 a year. See how well it works, and then if it works fine, we're sure it's going to work really well, that we would maybe then it would go into the general ICANN budget. It's just another tool that we should be able to use.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Marita. Heidi, do you have a follow-up on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Well, I see Alan and Judith with their hands up too.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Alright. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I'm not sure what it is that's being asked for here. This is a budget request. If indeed the cost we're talking about is \$1000, then I think that's something reasonable that each RALO put \$200 of their \$20-30,000 budget to and do. I don't see putting in a request for a \$1000 item if that's indeed what we're talking about. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Thank you. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN.

I think what we want to also work within – and we can bring this up in the Technology Taskforce – is a Zoom account. ICANN was going to be starting up and having Zoom accounts, and they were going to use it for meetings. A Zoom particularly can be used – Livestream is a very fancy service and it's not necessarily something that we might want to use when Zoom will suit everyone's purposes. And Zoom costs – is very affordable per month, it's \$14.99 a month. But besides that, we have to worry about who's going to be hosting the zoom, and then that is another issue that other communities had issues of who's hosting it and whether we can host it ourselves. And that's something issues that we had several times ago with electronic communications, and so we really

do need to bring in the IT staff and sort of work with them on, are they having a Zoom account, will they be hosting the Zoom account?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Can we then [inaudible] get access?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Thank you. Yeah, we're getting the gist of it. So we just want to rush through these things, but Marita, [can I have a comment from you?]

MARITA MOLL.

Yeah, it's certainly a possibility if everyone kicks a little bit into a bucket, and we get access — a license to — this is a License, Alan, that's what we're talking about — to a Livestream account. Zoom, I see ISOC using Livestream, using it really effectively, and we should be able to do that through ICANN. I find it just silly and penny pinching, given all the money that goes down, that we shouldn't have [access to the] same kind of valuable and high-powered communications thing.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Marita. And the discussion seems to lean towards discretionary funding being made available by the RALOs who want to

take part in it. So that's something that we might look into and instead perhaps. Okay, can we move on, please, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, so Maureen, just on that one, I've put into the notes that we could first ask IT. I can ask them this week if there's a license. I've heard back and forth about Zoom, so I need to check on that too, and then also, we can ask Mark Segall next week. There's a TTF call, so we can ask him there as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Alright. [That's good.]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So we can sort of put this one on hold for the time being.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

The next one is the single one that we have from AFRALO, and it needs a lot of detail. It's a very – in fact, I don't even have the actual application. This is submitted by Mohamed, it's asking for AFRALO participation at the IGF. Again, this is for the global IGF, and there's travel support being asked, but I don't know the numbers. So this one, we need to get back to them for user on that, and again, [inaudible] IGF –

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, and [inaudible] look at that one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Moving on, APRALO – I'm going to take these in chunks, by RALO, given

the time. APRALO submitted four. The first one is, again, participation in $% \left(1\right) =\left(1\right) \left(1\right)$

the 2019 IGF. They're looking for two travelers. Then there's another $\,$

one for participation in the yearly Middle East DNS forum. Now, this one

is taking place, I believe, Dubai, I think. Someplace in the Middle East. So my question back to Ali was, why could the CROP or RALO discretionary

funding not be used for this? That's the first question that they're going

to ask. So, I haven't received his answer for that. Ali, you're on the call.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL:

The one you are speaking about that will take in Dubai is this year, which is not covered in this budget, because we applied for it last year and it was rejected as well. So next year, I don't know where it will be happening. So I'm not so sure where the DNS forum will happen next year. I'm not considering [part of the] CROP because we have so many events here, and you know that we have limited slots for CROP, which is three, so we have so many other regional events that we are planning CROP for. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So, Ali, I don't know if that is going to -

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Can I just –

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, I just wanted to say too that I know that this is preempting activities for the new year, the new budget year, and I think with APRALO, it's looking at what is being considered for their activities. But in hindsight, it's sort of like, what sort of costs are going to be involved in relation to what can be covered by CROP, what can be covered by discretionary funds, and as APRALO has in the past, how can we work with the GSE in order to make events happen as well? And they've been very cooperative of including the RALO leadership into their activities as

well, which I would like to encourage. It's one of the reasons we want to have those meetings in Kobe, and that's to encourage greater cooperation between the GSEs and the RALOs so that they can actually involve the RALOs into their programs as well.

But I guess when looking at the APRALO activities that we've got here, there are things that we can actually incorporate into the strategic plan, and we'll look at how we can use the funding that is going to be made available to us and the opportunities, creatively, as [has been] stated in the chat.

Lianna, do you have anything else that you would like to add before we close this one off? And that is – no? Okay. Heidi –

ALI ALMESHAL

Yeah, there is one request from Lianna for -

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. Ali, just on your — there are lots of other opportunities, so Maureen, I'll take the direction from you whether to submit this one. The next one from APRALO is submitted by Lianna. Looks like it's a one-day event on IDNs and recent development of universal acceptance. This would be in Armenia, and she's asking — it's not clear on how much funding she's asking for. I didn't see any figure in the request. And again, my thoughts on this one is it might be — I believe that Armenia holds a regional or a national IGF, so this might be on the sidelines of that event. And again, this might be something that GSE could help with a year. Let's see if she's — [inaudible]

ALI ALMESHAL

[inaudible] It will be on the IGF side, but Lianna have some concerns and points here. Lianna, can you comment on that?

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Yes, Ali. Thank you. So basically, my concern is that the IGF and all the agenda that we have at the national IGF every year, it goes through the multi-stakeholder organizing committee. So I'm not sure that this topic on IDN will be given a priority on that, and what I plan to do to have this be as a standalone, one-day event, is specifically on IDN and universal acceptance, topic of high importance in the region, and I plan to invite not only the Armenian and local community, but also the regional community especially, [ccTLDs,] talking about the new gTLD program on IDN, and the universal acceptance steering group members. So the event is going to be only on the IDN and universal acceptance, and it will have more impact for the people and raise more awareness on the development that has been done so far by the UASG group. So I would not like it to be connected or linked to the IGF. This is the reason I wanted to have a separate event.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So Maureen, Alan has his hand raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, Alan. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes. Two things. I had my hand up before. On this one, have we tried approaching the universal acceptance people and GSE? It sounds like something they should be funding, not being done through At-Large. So you may want to consider putting some feelers out to that pretty quickly.

The reason I raised my hand is for Heidi. Do you have a high feeling of certainty that we will at the very least maintain the \$20,000, if not grow to 30? Have you gotten feedback on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, a little bit, and so far, it looks good.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Because we're relying on that in lieu of a lot of other things. If that disappears too, we're in big trouble. Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. And just on that, that's one source. In the past, these sorts of events have been funded by GSE. Not much, I think it's around \$2500, but that is something. So this one could be submitted, and we'll go from there with the GSE and possibility as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And the universal acceptance people.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Because they have some money through ICANN and other places

themselves.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, I've noted that. Okay. Maureen, should we go on? This is the last

APRALO one.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. [Thank you.]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So then this is submitted by Satish. This is APRALO outreach activities at APRIGF 2019. Now, the interesting thing about this — well, a couple of things. First, it's just focusing on outreach, and I think that you really need to include, at a minimum, outreach and engagement, include the policy activities, include that it's part of the review, etc.

The second interesting point about this request is that the meeting itself is in the EURALO region, it's in Vladivostok, Russia. So that's a little bit confusing, because it's an APRALO event, but it's officially in a EURALO region. I don't know [about this.]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, it is. It's an anomaly, but it's just the fact that it's sort of right next door to China and Japan, and it just happened to be that Vladivostok actually made a bid to hold the Asia Pacific regional IGF — because it's right on the Pacific, of course — to hold that event in July, and they're working very hard on becoming part of the [inaudible] regional IGF organization. So yeah, it is, but it isn't. Even though it's miles away from — [the big expanse] of the country itself, it's miles away from the area that we normally associate with Russia, and it's closer to us in the Pacific, it's not in our region. So it is a little bit of an anomaly. So it's probably because — it would have to be a cross-regional activity, so we might have to be looking at discretionary funds.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, so I'll be taking another look at that, and I'll also be approaching the APAC HUB, etc., about this, but one of the comments is that we'll send this back and ask Satish to add more engagement/policy and link it to the review implementation for that.

So let's move on quickly to EURALO. They submitted several. Now, I believe that most of these are from last year that were not successful, and my concern is that I didn't note significant improvement or an argument to fund these. And given that the envelope is the same for the overall ABRs, my thoughts would be that unless there's a better argument made this year, it likely would not be funded.

The first one is for a workshop on diversity in ICANN leadership bodies. It talks about holding several workshops at various ICANN meetings and in the IGF, and looking – I think it's for – yeah, it's additional one person

from EURALO, one from At-Large, and one [for a] body concerned, so a total of three people to the IGF. I think there's some concerns with the grammar overall in this, so I think that one needs more work.

I'm going to just move on quickly. There's another one for support participation of individual users in EURALO. This is basically asking for support of the European individual users association. It's literally just asking for At-Large support staff, so I think that this is something that At-Large support staff could likely do anyway since we already fund the unaffiliated within NARALO, etc. What I would suggest is, Maureen, that you make a point that this is another reason for the additional FTE that you're asking for in the review, the implementation plan.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

[All right. Yeah.]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I think that would help with that, and we'll talk offline where you could do that most effectively. Then there's another one. I recognize this one from last year as well, this is for an Internet of Things, an increasing governance challenge ahead. This is another workshop for the IGF, and my concern is that they're looking for support, again, for four people to the IGF, and they're looking for \$10,000 for this. So again, the concern here is that since they're all in the EURALO region, that it might be asked that they use the CROP and/or RALO discretionary funding for this. Let's see if there are any questions on these two.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

[inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, so Maureen, I don't know if you want to suggest that these are not submitted, or that they're submitted in case that the RALO discretionary funding isn't, but I have a high level of confidence that they will.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Olivier or Wale, do they want to add any comments to this? No. Okay. Yeah, we'll take them off and we'll review that other one. [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Okay, let's move over. We have one from LACRALO, it's a little bit late, but it is now submitted. Harold is on the call, and he is going to just give a brief review. This is just for engagement. Strengthening capacity building and engagement within the region, and it comes at an opportune time, because they've just – right before the holidays, they approved their new governance document, so this is an opportune time for these sorts of activities. So, Harold?

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you very much. The proposal is that the focus of the additional budget should not be for outreach. So we are creating [inaudible] facilities to the southern governance leadership. It would be held in Latin America and the Caribbean for the 2020. So there would be a workshop, and this would be an online workshop, but at the same time,

each ALS and the four new subregions in LACRALO, they may have an inperson meeting with the members and the public in general so as to get closer to one of the topics that is being discussed in ICANN, and how they may participate in that discussion, how all of them should participate in the discussions within our ecosystem.

So [inaudible] is to involve among the speakers not only speakers from LACRALO, but also the experts from each topic, from each field coming from other regions. It would be an online tool, so other RALOs or audiences from other RALOs may also join this online and [strengthen] the [inaudible]. So what would be in the request [now is support] for the translation in this case. Our region is multilingual, so we would request interpretation services, and at the same time, we would need some of the four speakers who would be attending in the southern governance school, they will only receive just a share of the funding to attend it, and then will be, I don't know, accommodation or airfare, and the accommodation or airfare would be requested to ICANN. This is the idea of this regional proposal. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Harold. We may need to have a little look at this one again before we make a decision. I had just put in the chat that I hadn't actually seen this application yet, so it'll be something that we may need to have a look at and bring it back to the committee after we've had a little look through. Okay, moving on.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, just a quick comment.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So I haven't actually seen the details of it, but Harold, I really like the idea of this, but what we might do is — I know that LACRALO is just starting several new subgroups, and one is for capacity building, so what you might wish to consider is if that group could start developing first an online Learn course that might actually be online by fiscal year 20, and then as we move into the next Latin American ICANN meeting, that's going to be Cancun in March 2020, then a small face-to-face meeting might take place in that region. And you could ask for something like that in this request. You might be able to use your RALO discretionary funding or some CROP funding to get some people there, but that might be something where it starts with an online course and then culminates in a face-to-face-type meeting. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Great. Yes, we will work on that one. Thank you. Next.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. I think this is the last one, and this is for – yes, we have [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Can we just – Wale's finally been able to get on, he wanted to speak on this – very briefly, Wale – on the IoT.

WALE BAKARE: Right. Thank you so much. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

WALE BAKARE:

Alright. Thank you so much. Just to make a few comments about this, the IoT purpose, and we understand that the proposal was filed for the 2018 IGF, and for some reason, the proposal was not successful, but, however, we understood that and we are making some amendments on that. So part of our update we're making on that [inaudible] proposal is just we are looking at IoT design architecture, and the active and the legal framework design, so in terms of the impact on human rights. So this is one of the key things that we are trying to look into, so we are trying to integrate this into the proposal. That is one of the key components that we are trying to put in the proposal.

Then on the number of people, now, we are requesting – we have one expert from the industry in the IoT working group from Europe that we are inviting to come to speak, and also, we have a legal expert as well that is joining [the scene.] And these are the things that we are trying to integrate into the proposal to make it more successful this time around. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you for that, Wale. It's EURALO. Is it not possible to — if the workshop is actually at the IGF, that you use — again, the whole purpose of the discretionary funding and increase in that, to allow you to attend something like the IGF. So I'm assuming that we'll be able to — we'll have to have another look at what we finally end up with proposing, but at the moment, any proposals for IGF, we do not expect that they're actually going to be very successful, which is one of the reasons why we've gone for increasing the funding.

But we have to move on, because we have so much to get done before it finishes. So Heidi, moving on with [that.]

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, just two more. The ones that I have are one from NASIG, that's the second North American School of Internet Governance, and this is looking for an event similar to the one held in Puerto Rico to be held in Montréal prior to the ATLAS III. This would be held in a hotel, not the venue, and they're looking to get several – up to 40 individuals from Atlarge, and a lot of speakers, a lot of top-notch speakers.

My concern on this one was that there's not a specific amount of funding requested for this one, which might be useful. And the second point was whether NARALO has reached out to Chris Mondini from GSE on this one. So, Glenn, did you want to comment on that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hi. Yes, I did. Chris and I have been talking about other funding as well from Google, so yeah, Chris is well aware of it, but I haven't heard

anything from Chris for at least a month. So I have no update from Chris at this point, but yeah, he was very favorable of NASIG 2.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

And in terms of funding – sorry, Heidi, just to answer your question, we're looking at similar funding that was done the last time, in NASIG 1.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Perfect. Okay. Why don't we go ahead and just reach out to Chris? He just moved back to the west coast, so that's probably why he's been offline. So perhaps we can have a call with Chris on this one, Glenn, before we officially submit this one.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

And then just quickly – I'm just conscious of the time, another one that I've just seen – and apologies for that – is from Loris Taylor, Native Public Media, and this is looking for two indigenous people to go to the fellowship starting in Montréal, and I've put that information into that chat. So Yes, two individual fellows to attend ICANN 66, and the community forum, which I believe is in Cancun.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Heidi. I'm just wondering, can we look at this one? Because

it's a late arrival, and we can consider it for our next meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. It was my fault, actually. I think it was submitted on time, I just did

not catch it due to the number of e-mails I had in my inbox. So apologies

for that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I know what you mean.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then Glenn, the policy workshop one, I thought that that one – first

off, I don't have details on that one, and the second thing is I thought $% \left(1\right) =\left(1\right) \left(1\right) \left$

that it was incorporated into the broader ALAC requests for the capacity

development course.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. No, it's a different course. As I stated in the chat, it's similar to what

the NCUC people did last year, which was two webinars and then a face-

to-face in San Juan. But actually, I sent you a proposal weeks ago on

this, the full detail.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Sorry. Okay. Let me look, because I have vague memories of looking at it, but I thought I sent it back to you or something. Anyway, let me look. Apologies for that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. We will just look at those on screen. And we're running desperately short on time. If we can put those on hold – and we haven't tossed anything out just yet – we will actually get back to you by e-mail in preparation for our next meeting, which is going to be in a very short while anyway.

I just wanted to bring up the – now that we've been through all of these, moving on to the public comments [inaudible] the pages are in the – the reference pages for both the public comment for the FY20 operating plan and budget, if you have any comments made in it, I spent a lot of time on that particular topic during the holidays, raising things that I thought might be mentioned in a more summarized version of what I've actually got up there, but the two-year planning consultation is also important that we actually have people from this group commenting on as well. So those are two areas I'd really like this group to be providing some comment on, please.

Now, I know that Cheryl has another thing that she'd like to raise at this particular point in time, so Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Maureen, and I'll be as brief as I possibly can, and I want to thank you in advance for indulging me. However, I think it's important as your Finance and Budget Subcommittee goes into its deliberations on whether it yays or nays these things to go forward, and also as it starts looking at its response to the draft operating plan that you just mentioned, that it is perhaps made aware of the current conversation, state of play, within the GNSO and its response to the draft operating plan.

You'll be, I'm sure, delighted to know that ALAC is called out on two separate parts of its discourse. I am not going to get into a discussion on letting facts get in the way of a good argument, because we know how far that will get us. I will obviously do my best to try and bring actual facts into the system once it's closer to being decided as a final draft, but one quote is, page 19 of the plan states, "ICANN Org will support 20 At-Large working groups focused on policy, process, technical, outreach and engagement." Statement here is, "This is excessive given the overall small number of participants on each call, some having less than five community members dialing in, with as many as 12 staff joining their calls, including interpreters."

Again, let's not debate it, just be aware this is what the GNSO is likely to be saying. Second part out of it is how much is spent on the GNSO relative to other SOs and ACs. They state they asked this question last year and point out that when they compare GNSO breakdown spends compared to other support organizations and advisory committees complaining about the granularity, etc., they do state, "But one can clearly see the ALAC is doing quite well compared to the GNSO as it even has the budget to fly —" yes, people, deep breaths now, "300

people, almost all of whom are disengaged, if not disinterested, in DNS policy, to Montréal for a week at the At-Large summit."

So, people, be warned, be smart. That's it from me.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Cheryl, if I may interact, I didn't hear the beginning of this, I just heard the end. I had to leave for a moment. I think we should encourage them to make a public statement saying that we're flying 300 people to Montréal. It makes it so much easier to counter that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I'll tell you what, I might keep my powder dry on that, but I did want to share it with all of you – well, not you, Alan, because you and I aren't on this committee anymore – that the committee that's deliberating all of this now, try and be clever, because everything you do, everything you ask for will be taken down, distorted and held against you for future purposes. That's it.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much for raising that, Cheryl. And I did see that comment, and they were passed on to me. Excellent. And I agree that encouraging the fake news, as you both recommend, is going to make it so much easier to justify what we do when we actually give them the correct information, that we're actually focusing on what the board has actually recommended that we do.

So yeah, let's just move on. Okay, so moving on, when is our next meeting, Heidi? When do people have to have all these sort of things finalized? Date?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, I'm just looking on this. The end date that we need to have them submitted is 25th, so we do have a little bit of time. In terms of the process, we will now have this week, Maureen, to review those, to send them back, those that will need a little bit more additional information, and then on the week of the 14th, next week, we'll send them back to the FBSC for final review. So we do have a little bit of time in the next two weeks to look at them. [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Right, so we we'll have a meeting in the week of the 14th?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, I think that was –

MAUREEN HILYARD:

[inaudible]. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

– we had it at the end, maybe like Thursday next week. I think that's the

17th.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

That would allow time for us to take a closer look, as well as the applicants to submit their revised versions, and also hear back from the GSE, etc.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Okay. Great. GSE. Right, so we're on to that then. Any other questions or queries before we finish up? No other business? Great. Okay, thank you very much for your contributions. It's been excellent discussion, and it's really helped us to make some progress here, I'm sure. Okay, thank you very much, and enjoy the rest of your day, or whatever time of the day that you are in in your part of the world.

Thank you very much. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you all. Thanks.

ANDREA GLANDON:

Thank you. This concludes today's conference. Please remember to disconnect all lines, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]