
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Teleconference Call on Monday, the 14th of January 2019 at 20:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, Michael Casadevall, Gordon Chillcott, Greg Shatan, Susannah Gray, Leah Symekher, Judith Hellerstein, Marita Moll, John LaPrise, and Joe Catapano from staff, also George Kirikos as well.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Chris Mondini; and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

And before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and to please make sure that your microphones are muted to prevent any background noise. And with this, I will turn it over to you, Eduardo. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you very much, Claudia, and thank you, everyone, for attending today's call. This is the first call of the year and we have a packed agenda, so let's start by asking everyone if you want to make changes to the agenda or we'll just use the agenda the way it is. If there is anyone opposed to the agenda the way it is, please say so now.

Not hearing anyone, we continue with the agenda. I just want to make a few reminders of what we have, are going to have during the next hour, and basically, we probably get with Alan – I don't know how busy he is – to get an update on the EPDP on the temporary specifications just for him to tell us where we are on that, and as everybody may know, this is

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

a work that is supposed to end some time in May and there are a few things that are happening right now. I think it isn't a face-to-face meeting, but in any case, if he comes by, we will allow him to talk about the EPDP.

When we cover the discretionary funds, we will talk also about the additional budget requests, about the process where we are, and I have added a new agenda discussion until we get to the ATLAS III event to give you updates of what's happening there, so everybody knows what to expect and what things we are doing.

So, if nobody has any questions, we can move to the next agenda. This is an item that has been there for a while. I want to keep it here on the [inaudible]. That will be a whole year. I don't see William coming on our conversation today either so we will skip that one today.

And we have one individual member whose name is Joey Doyle that I haven't seen him for a while and I just wanted him to introduce himself to the group. Ad also Pierre-Jean Darres who is the new ISOC Quebec President [inaudible] call and he just sent me an e-mail that he wasn't going to be able to meet this time because I want him to introduce himself also to the members.

So, from that, let's move into the NARALO Outreach Group Update Report. Glenn, please. What's happening there?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thanks everybody. Just a quick update. We have an At-Large Outreach and Engagement Group, which I'm sitting on the committee

representing NARALO. That group is going through a strategic planning process on what we're doing for outreach and some of the proposals which we'll see in the ABR later on, through that group, we submitted a proposal for support to do for two people to attend the IGF in Berlin next year as a cross-community participation, so that was one of the activities.

But we're also going through the strategic planning process for the entire committee and how we can work together, so we have some great volunteers that are helping through that process. So, that's on the wide scale committee, and within that, we are working with groups like the TTF, Social Media, and Capacity Building so that we are coordinated rather than just separate working groups. So, that's my first comment.

Let me just give you a quick update on [NTC]. Judith will be attending that and actually, she may have an update. I think she's going to be a speaker at that event. Judith, are you there?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, so I will be attending the NTEN event and I will be speaking on Internet governance issues and the impact in technology and how it can help out non-profits and citizens get involved in there. Topic, it

[inaudible] out. They just offered me a topic because we found out – Glenn is going to be speaking about this later on – but we found out that there were changes to the CROP made this year that required us to find things with low registration fees that we can pay from the discretionary funds or get free registrations. But Glenn will talk about that. So, luckily, they had an opening, so it allows me to continue to [inaudible]. So, topic is being fleshed out right now, so more to [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. So, in other words, the \$900 fee on registration fee is not the case, so that CROP trip will carry on.

The next one is Digital Inclusion. That's in Charlotte, North Carolina. The person who was selected for that is Alfredo Calderón. There's a very low registration fee for that, and as Judith implied, that the discretionary fund is one way we can pay for the ... It's \$215 or so for the event and I think it's \$245 for even the pre-event, so it's a fairly inexpensive registration but we're using the discretionary funds application. So, just for the benefit of Chris, those two should be in the hopper in terms of CROP applications completed for you to review. I've signed them off.

The third one is the ARIN 43. This is the second ARIN meeting that we talked about this year. There is also one coming up later in the year and we promoted the fellowship program to the community as well. So, we had three people in the selection committee that selected Michael. Michael is on the call today. And so Michael will be attending that. There is no registration fees for that, so just a reminder for Michael to

make sure the CROP application is completed, and second of all, to register with ARIN directly. So, that's the quick and that's it for the CROP trips. There used to be five, but there's only three. So, that's it for me.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn. Any questions about this ICANN agenda? Yes, Susannah, please. You have the floor.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, I was just wondering. Is there a procedure for selecting the applicants for the CROP trip? Because I recall last year there was some stuff published about the Selection Committee and how the selection was done but I don't think that was [inaudible] the time. If someone can remind me if there's a procedure, I don't know if there is one or not.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Glenn, do you want to take this?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, sure. Thanks for the question. Yeah, there is nothing cast in stone for each of the RALOs. In some cases, just the secretariats and chairs are the ones that are taking the CROP trips. In our case, we stated very clearly that we don't ... We want to make sure that everybody has a chance at it, that the chair and secretariat were not the first pick. If other people don't go, then sure.

But what we did is after the scenario that we had earlier in the year that was supposed to be William, we went ahead and created, asked people to be on the Selection Committee, so actually, the three people that were selected, I think some of them are on this call. So, I asked those individuals if they want their names to be revealed and I didn't get a positive response back from them, but I'm open to asking the committee if any of them that are on the call if they want to actually go ahead and speak on what they did and what their process was. So, Judith, do you have a comment to make?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

It's more on the procedure. What Glenn was stating is that there was no criteria but the committee, having been on several past ones and having organized it with Glenn when I was secretariat, is that we want to give everyone a chance and since we only had one spot, would evaluate and we would have, not a judging of things, but reading of the essays that were written and then other people would bring in other knowledge of having worked with the person on different working groups.

And right now, according to Maureen's guidance, outreach and getting involved in working groups is actually one of these priorities. And so all those ideas are taken, involved in evaluating candidates whether for any of these committees in doing that. I was on the one that selected Alfredo for Digital Inclusion and that's some of the issues that we looked at as well on that one, and I hope that's a help.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Judith. Susannah?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Thanks, Judith. That's a good explanation. I'm not really, I don't really want to spend endless hours talking about the past, but maybe going forward, we should try and develop some kind of procedure so that we have [inaudible] on the Selection Committee who is actually doing the selection and how the applications are being [inaudible]. I don't think we need to be overly persistent because then nobody would volunteer to be on the committee, but I think we need some kind of loose guidelines about what people are being judged on and also help people with their applications so that they know how they're going to be judged. And maybe that's something that we can review [inaudible].

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Susannah. Point was taken and [inaudible] and we'll see what we come up with as information to the whole region to get feedback on whatever we come up with. Thank you, Susannah. And Leah, please. You have the floor now.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, hello. Can you hear me now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can hear you.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Hello? Okay. Great, great. Yeah, I just really wanted to second Susannah's point. She really brings up a very important point. This has to do with transparency and these procedures are not in places, and also, who is in the Selection Committee, what the criteria are because as a chapter here, we also want [inaudible] try to provide opportunities for other members in our team. So, if we do not have that information, sometimes it creates other questions. So hopefully, this will be taken seriously in [inaudible]. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thanks. Glenn, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I see your point and it's a point well taken, but I don't think CROP is going to be funded next year so I'm not going to spend time on elaborate processes for CROP if it's not being a funded program next year.

I'll give you a quick story. I gave up my flight for Japan because I had other opportunities for flying there, and basically, I talked to Eduardo and we actually, because of my flight, I said, "Who can we short list?" and we basically came up with two names and it was a very quick process. So, I guess theoretically, I could have gone through the entire long process, a selection process of who would get that flight, but you know what? It really came down to me and I wanted it to be a fair process but fairly quick because we had a very short timeline.

So, sometimes the guidelines can be awesome and right to the point, but again, this was a very organic process. There is no Selection Committee with the other RALOs. This came out as a result.

So, to answer your question, Susannah, Alan Greenberg took the flight. So, that's how it worked. So, back to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn. Leah, do you want to follow-up on this or is this an old hand?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Just a question. Glenn just mentioned that the CROP funding will not be available next year, so the whole program is being cancelled or so. Can you explain that a little bit further? Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I think what we have to do is turn to Heidi because that was mentioned in passing on the Outreach and Engagement Call. So, Heidi, do you have an update on the CROP program?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. My understanding is that, given the fiscal year's draft budget, Fiscal Year 20 draft budget, it looks like it is going to be continued. So, what I would suggest is either starting now or starting in Fiscal Year 20, you create or select or appoint a small group to review these applications

according to an agreed set of criteria in the Fiscal Year 20 NARALO Outreach strategic plan.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Judith, do you want to ...

LEAH SYMEKHER: Can I say something please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Just following up to what I said. Following up, sorry. Just [following] what Heidi said, I think that's great that the program is continuing, and secondly, if we are going to have a committee, can it be representative of all the ALAC, at least two or three – if it's two or three members, it should come from the different ALSes, not just one area. Make it more regional for the NARALO region that we're in. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Leah. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSETEIN: Thanks. Yes, Leah. Glenn usually does appoint people from different ALSes. I doubt he [inaudible] something from the same ALS, but each committee is done separately. There's no ... Depending on who applies

because sometimes someone is applying for a committee, for a CROP trip, and so they can't be on the Evaluation Committee whereas in other ones, they are. So, it's just on an as-is basis.

As for the CROP, yes, I heard it was also continuing but that criteria of the CROP trip may change and so we are always waiting to hear what there will be. Our problem with this time is that this year, the CROP people, they were writing these documents on the fly, and often, they didn't realize that something was not clear until there was an issue and then that raised a lot of issues with others who ran against timelines and only find out late that, oh by the way, you have to find some other way of doing things.

So, Glenn and I had suggested to Mary Wong and her team that if things are different from the previous year, that it should be spelled out that they should have said, for instance, "Unlike last year, registration fees are not covered," or "Registration fees are only a certain amount," or "The registration should be taken from discretionary." None of that was clear and so we've added the criteria. We added that, that we wish that next year, that everything is a bit more spelled out for people so that we can have some more people involved and get a better understanding ahead of time.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Thank you, Judith. I want to stop the discussion on this now. I just want to say that Glenn and I will talk together and we'll put something simple, some kind of procedure, and we'll send it out just for getting feedback and get the consensus that that's something that you will

agree to as far as transparency and so forth. And I see that Susannah is there to help with that.

So, with that in mind, I want to go to the next two items which is the discretionary fund and the ABR. Glenn, take it from there and I will add to it if I need to. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. The discretionary funds, we have a request from Alfredo. It's a small request for his ... Currently, the small request is for his registration fees at the Digital Inclusion and there's no other remaining ones.

Oh sorry, there is one. Alfredo and Eduardo with ISOC PR has a small request as well for a social event, I Love Internet. Is that correct?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

That's correct.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, and we did use some funds back in November when Marita did a read-out. So, there was a number of read-outs, but this was a face-to-face read-out that was a social event late November as well. So, there are still funds in the discretionary fund and there's a process for an application and the application gets sent to staff.

There is no Selection Committee from this end. It's basically your ALS. If it needs a small amount of money, the criteria is set and then you can apply for the funding.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Can you cover ABR too, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. The ABR—

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Judith, you have your hand up. I don't know, Heidi, if you are first? Well, let's go with you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, it's related to Glenn.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm also probably going to be using the discretionary fund a little bit to fund an extra night at the NTEN Technology Conference. I need four nights and the CROP is only three nights so I'm going to put that request in when we get the approval and know what hotel and how much we will need. But it's going to be also probably a couple hundred for that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible], Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you very much, Eduardo. So, I just wanted to let Alfredo know that we did see his request. I just haven't had the time to process it yet. Also, currently, NARALO has \$1,561 available through the end of Fiscal Year 19 for RALO discretionary funds. We will be asking that all of the RALOs that are asking for those tabletop pop-up banners to contribute half of the cost. So, I think that will be around \$100 or so for NARALO. You're just ordering the one. We'll get that information to you shortly, but there is still, again, considerable funding available on that.

And also, very quickly on the additional budget request, I'm just actually editing that page right now. I have followed up with some staff, GSC staff and meeting and tech staff, as requested on the last Finance and Budget Subcommittee call, so you'll be ... Those who have submitted requests, please do monitor that page and there will be some follow-ups posted as soon as possible.

Maureen and I will be reviewing all of the requests and next SPSC call is this Thursday, the 17th. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any questions for Heidi, me, or Glenn about the funding of discretionary or [otherwise]? Okay, well thank you for the information, Glenn and Heidi and Judith, and thank you for the information. I believe according

to the timeframes that we are here, we are on target on this thing, so [inaudible] moving along.

Next item, Leah, can you give us a report on NomCom, please?

LEAH SYMEKHER:

Absolutely. Thank you for the opportunity. This is Leah Symekher speaking on behalf of ICANN NomCom, for the record. So, last month, I presented a slide just giving an overview of what ICANN NomCom has done, the key calls from ICANN Barcelona conference and we've created several subcommittees. We've been very much hard at work in this preparatory period since October to January and that has [marked] right into the recruitment period which includes candidate outreach.

So just, again, to update you on the open seats, we have ten open seats that we are filling this year. Three for the Board of Directors, one for the PTI and that's the Public Technical Identifier Board, two for the GNSO Council, one for the ccNSO Council, and three for ALAC. And the ALAC regions that we're focused on this time is the Asia, Australia, Pacific Island region, one candidate from that region; Africa as the second one; and the LAC region. That's the third one. That's a total of ten.

We're definitely asking for your helping terms of outreach. If you know good candidates out there that you believe are qualified and would do a good job for the community as a Board member and the leadership team, please feel free to let them know that the application period is going to be opening very soon. I believe this week we are going to have that ready. We're targeting the date of the 17th, but there are a few

things that need to be worked through so it might delay. But at least this week, we believe that we will have the application period open.

Also, for our more transparency in outreach, our chair, [inaudible] Damon Ashcroft has released a blog and I've just copied that into the chat message there, which you can all go and read. It gives you a very good update for where we are currently in our effort as NomCom. So, feel free to read that and to visit our website frequently for more updates. We're going to have the job description and criteria for qualification for candidates on our website, so please feel free to direct anybody that you feel is a good candidate to our website or to me as well if you feel like the website is too general. I'm happy to talk to any of the candidates and give them the steps on how to apply. Thank you for the time.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Leah, for the report, and please, when the application gets posted so we can start applying to this, can you send a note to the list just to alert us about it? It would be nice [inaudible].

LEAH SYMEKHER:

Absolutely.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Yes, I will definitely do that. Thank you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much, Leah. So, the next two items, I don't see David Morar or Anna Loup here for topic item 50 and Alan, I guess he couldn't make it. I know he said he was busy in EPDP, so...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I've just heard back from Alan. He will be on the call shortly. He just had something to do, but he is expected to be on the call shortly.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so we can defer to when he gets in and get into that. I was going to say, Michael, do you want to report on the Universal Acceptance Steering Committee Group meeting that you participated? But before that, Michael, I have Glenn. Glenn, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Eduardo, you were calling me out?

EDUARDO DIAZ: You have your hands up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I do. I just wanted to ask Leah one quick question if I can on the NomCom.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so Leah, I saw an interesting article by the Chair of ICANN, Cherine, where he was calling out the issue of more gender balance on the board. Is there any special efforts which are outreach in terms of our community or elsewhere, how we can help looking for good candidates.

I know that being on the NomCom before, that was something we all pushed, but what happened at the end? They also looked at experience and people would say that experience trumps gender, so I'm at a little bit of a quandary there, so how do we address that issue of having more voting females on our ICANN Board?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Thank you, Glenn. That's a very good question. Yes, we all on the NomCom did read Cherine's, the updates from Cherine. Not updates, but the report. And yes, gender balance and geographical balance is something that has been heavily discussed in the last NomCom and this NomCom, and you are right in that as you've been in the NomCom, you can attest to this that there is always that struggle of making sure you have the qualified candidates who have the skills, experience to be able to join the Board and leadership team and be up and running right away

or quicker, more quickly. So it is definitely something we are focused on. I'm the Chair, Co-Chair, me and Pablo Rodriguez, we chair the outreach sub-committee. We have definitely reached out to previous Board members, men and women, and current ones as well to get input from them. And also we have the Outreach Committee is definitely working very hard to find candidates who can fill those gaps that we feel are needed including gender, geo, and whatever skills we feel that are needed for ICANN.

So we welcome your input, Glenn, and anybody else who is on the call. If you feel there are channels as the outreach chair, I'll be able to hear about those channels that can help us get a qualified candidate to help us meet this gap. So feel free to contact me at any time to further discuss this. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn and Leah. I see that Michael, why don't you give us the report on the Universal Acceptance and Steering Group report now if you can? We cannot hear you. Can you hear us?

No?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

Hi, Alfredo? I mean, Eduardo? I know Michael is having some audio issues. There he is. Never mind.

MICHAEL CASADEVALL: No, it's when I restarted Chrome, it muted my mic and sorry. Adobe Connect is being exceptionally buggy today.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You have the floor. You can give us the report.

MICHAEL CASADEVALL: So I, last week, the Universal Acceptance Steering Group met face-to-face in Washington D.C. As I'm based in New York City, I decided to attend that out-of-pocket so I spent three days out at the ICANN office looking at Universal Acceptance issues and helping build a plan to incorporate a road map at fixing internationalized domain names and internationalized e-mail addresses on a broader scale by fixing it in core language components. I've been working with John Lavine on this note.

I also helped review several proposals to try and solve IDNA 2003 versus 2008 issues, as well as contributed some of my research into Top-Level Domains and universal acceptance, specifically a tool that I had been writing to [power] through zone data and then analyze. What I will do when it's totally finishes is to go through a Top-Level domain and then be able to fully analyze if that domain is IDN ready and if it's able to accept internationalized e-mail addresses. So we'll be able to build a progression. I am working with AJ – his last name is escaping me – on that following up.

I've also been... So that was the... I can send a more detailed report to the mailing list. It didn't occur to me to do so until just now because it

was something I did for myself and it was a concern. But that was the longest [inaudible] outcome of that meeting. Any questions?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I do have a question. Are you planning to keep attending these meetings? And the other question is can you attend them [inaudible], let's say if they are on the other side of the continent?

MICHAEL CASADEVALL:

I do not know when our next face-to-face meeting is. Given I can attend them remotely if possible, I felt that my presence was a very good [boon] because my experience is in low-level assistive programming where a lot of the IDN and universal acceptance issues live. I have a fairly long e-mail thread that's going on about explaining in-depth why IDNs simply do not work with programming language and I intend to expand that out into other areas of universal acceptance.

For example, [inaudible] government workaround for IDNAs for pipeline, great [inaudible]. It has to fix on a core level. I have engaged with the pipeline core developers and the developers of the IDNA third party model [inaudible] to fixing this as well as working with the new UASG to figure out adding necessary funding because it's not on the small effort to get fixed. But if we fix it in pipeline, we can fix a large swatch of applications written in pipeline to be able to start working with universal acceptance domain.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, Michael. By the way, in the future, if you are attending these type of meetings, you can always Glenn or me and there is some discretionary budget for helping people like you participate in these type of meetings. Going forward, please do so. The money is there for the reason.

And thank you so much for –

MICHAEL CASADEVALL: Okay. I'm just looking to add mine.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much for the report and now I have another request for an additional, to bring in the agenda from Judith regarding the appointment of Judith to the [inaudible] to the RII. Judith, we will get there if we can get there and allow you to let you do that.

I just wanted to... The next point in the agenda is the ATLAS III. As many of you know, there is this event that is going to happen in Montreal in October during the ICANN AGM meeting before. I mean during, sorry. And I just want to give you an update where we are. There were about 40 or 60 people that volunteered in total to work with the ATLAS III leadership to coordinate this event.

These people have been divided into subgroups. One group is focusing on the development of the leadership, and criteria for selection of people that are going to participate in other things. And the other group will be focused mostly and solely on the program. And the program meaning outside events, inside events, the schedules or what is going to

happen when, where and topics and things like that. This group, if they are not, they are already announced so the people that are going to volunteer in these groups, they know that they have been selected to work in this group.

And this week and the following week, we are going to get both groups going and talking about the [inaudible] to do and fine lines and so forth. So as far as the leadership of ATLAS, [inaudible] knows we are committing a very tight timeline but it's doable so we think we're going to be able to do all the things we wanted to do by the time that we need to do them.

And once there is an application that is going to be put online very soon, so I encourage everyone to apply for it and try to meet the criteria to be selected. There will be 60 people that will be selected to go to Montreal to that event.

So we're close to Chris's presentation, so Judith, do you want to talk a little bit about what your appointment is all about?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, thanks so much. Someone is not mute. Michael, can you please mute your speakers? Thank you.

So Maureen has [appointed] [inaudible] to chair a committee that I'm on. We are looking at how we could work more in outreach with the different RIRs and possibly doing a session in Kobe with the RIRs. And as people know, NARALO has a member understanding with ARIN who's

our RIR and we've been trying to figure out how to work more closely with them.

Many RIRs have grant programs and other community programs. ARIN is the only RIR that does not have any of those programs, so we have to think of different ways of trying to work with them. We had originally thought of an idea several years ago to do a liaison position with them, but they had turned that down then, thinking that they were afraid of favoritism. But we are going to try to reintroduce the idea again, but also trying to figure out our topic so that we can get the RIRs to know us more and us to know what they are doing. We send out lots of information about the meetings and other stuff and the shepherding processing, but we thought we need to figure out or brainstorm ideas of how we could collaborate.

So if people can send me some ideas that they have, I can pass them on to our committee and then we will be doing a session in Kobe with all the RIRs and sort of looking at what we can do and how we can be more collaborative. So I look forward to hearing your ideas.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Any questions for Judith? If not, we have a couple of minutes to get an update from Marita or John. If you want to tell us a little bit about what is happening in ALAC, you have about three minutes to update us on a brief summary of what's happened to ALAC in the last month.

MARITA MOLL:

Sure. I'll just let you know that we've been keeping our heads down and really working hard. There's been a whole lot of comments going in on various topics. We did comment in for the sub-pro Work Track 1 to 4, which was a lot about asking questions about auctions.

If you haven't heard about Vickrey auctions yet, you will be interested to perhaps read an article on domain insight about Vickrey auctions, which is something that At-Large suggested would be a better way of maybe resolving some of the contention issues around domain names in further rounds.

I'll put the link into the chat in a second. One thing we're working on right now is the geonames issue where's a prep for comment open, very deep and long, and detailed about how another round of Top-Level gTLDs should deal with geographic names. And ALAC has a committee which talks about these issues two hours every week and we can hash some of this stuff out. Anybody who would like to be part of that discussion is really welcome.

We are working on programs for Kobe. We want to make it more of a policy discussion this time. We want programs that deal with policy. We want meetings that gather information for policy. We want meetings that help build community. So that's kind of in the works and you'll be hearing more about that and you'll see where we end up on that probably shortly on the list.

I don't know, John. Do you have something more to say?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think John is not there anymore. Yes, he is.

MARITA MOLL: John's not there. Okay. [Inaudible] anyhow.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. [Anyway], Marita, we have to move forward in order to get to Chris's presentation. Thank you so much for your report. Does anyone have a question for Marita on this report? If not, we're going to move over to Chris's presentation on what is head for ICANN 2019 and Chris, if you'll allow me about three or four minutes at the end because Alan just joined in and I would like him to tell us a little bit of what is happening to the EPDP, to the [inaudible], but go ahead and do your presentation first.

CHRIS MONDINI: I'm very happy to go last or to defer. I'm realizing now that I may have submitted too many slides for the time allotted, but what would you like, an abbreviated version or would you like me to go after Alan's update? Or you can also schedule me for a future call.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I would like to hear what you have to say. I think it's important for the region to know what's going to happen in 2019 and this is the first meeting of the month, so go ahead and see how it goes.

CHRIS MONDINI:

Okay, great. Well, Happy New Year, and thanks for inviting me to join. Before we talk about the year ahead, I thought I would remind everybody of the last six months.

At-Large and other SO/ACs, you all participated in some strategizing around North America engagement and with headline goals that go from the broadening awareness to the deepening of content to adding to actual active participation were the headline goals, and beneath those are some objectives, which again, with your guidance, the first being to seek partnerships across the region, the next to be focusing on the issues, and the one on the right that you can see on the slide, to be really focused on mentorship, onboarding and capacity building.

And beneath those, we had the definition around what those meant and also some metrics. And so I mention this because at the end of January, I'll be publishing, really, the outcomes of how we did against these metrics, for example, under partnerships, the size of audiences we're reaching or the different partnerships we've established on the content side, on the issue-based engagement, what we've been putting out in terms of content, and then working with other ICANN Org departments how capacity building, mentorship, and onboarding are progressing.

And the first column, the partnerships, these again, are largely based on where we've had events or where we've co-published information and there's a list there of a few of them. We are making very good progress in having regular touch-base conversations with these organizations to be on the radar for their own publications and their own events. As you know, this groups knows very well, we've had some ICANN Org really

hosted read-outs that are co-sponsored and co-hosted with ALSes around the region and those continue to draw increasing audiences and be a way for people to remain in the region while feeling part of ICANN's work.

And all told in the last six months of last year, there were 46 events and that includes all of the categories, some that are hosted by ICANN, some where somebody is speaking and some where we're just attending. This is probably a little bit too small for people to see, but this is a breakdown which will be clearer in the upcoming communication. I'm happy to share the slides, and just out of interest, the stakeholder categories are listed here, and again, I think it's a little too small for... I'm trying to increase the screen.

So most of them are multi-stakeholder events, but you can see business, civil society and users, government IGO is a pretty fair balance. And as I said to this group in the past, my mandate was to give really balanced stakeholder engagement across the region with all the different stakeholder categories represented.

I think one of the things you're most interested in with some of the upcoming events that are already on the calendar, we're very excited at the end of the month to be gathering the registrars and teaming with our global domains division and other, the compliance team and others to really teach registrars about how ICANN works and encourage them to become involved in ICANN. The registrar supporter group is doing that. As you probably know, there is really a very small handful of registrars that are active and are really carrying the weight of an

increasing policy load, but the same is true for all of our SO/AC structures.

More knowledgeable and qualified volunteers are really helpful wherever we can get them and we think training is the way to get there.

Also at the end of the month, in New York City for those of you based there. Greg Shatan, Avri Doria and I will be hosted at Civic Hall, a civic tech organization in New York. Again, this is outreach for a friendly audience that's probably heard of ICANN but doesn't know anything beyond that. Joe Catapano will be part of the community Internet Governance Forum. We'll have read-outs with a number of you in your organizations after Kobe to report on the ICANN 64 outcomes, and of course, really the end of the next semester, it will be bookended by IGF USA. This is what we know of already that's going to be happening.

I would like to just make a pitch. I suspect it's been on your other calls and on your agenda that you participate in the five-year strategic plan process. There is a community board, an organization consultation that's been going on and the areas here that are of interest to Internet users, and certainly, areas upon which parts of the At-Large community have expertise. There's security, ICANN's governance model, the DNS and unique identifiers, geopolitical issues and financial health. And I've included these slides so you can see the draft strategic plan and I think it's at the top of one of these slides here, the public consultation that's ongoing. So individually or as a group, please, I greatly encourage you to become involved in that process because that will set not just 2019 but really the next five years.

And then finally, I'll just give a preview. Heidi Ullrich and a handful of us have already been working internally to try to brainstorm how to be efficient and effective with engagement going forward and really trying to narrow down some recommendations to bring to you, the community, over the next six months or so to see where we can team and work together.

So that's sort of the, again, internal brainstorming without the benefit of having community consultation yet, has resulted in some really big picture kind of engagement recommendations. I think they could be summarized as being more forward-looking in terms of knowing for six months or 12 months what our communications plan, what our engagement goals are, what our big milestones you want to accomplish in the engagement plan volunteer side are.

Promoting in all of ICANN ethos, we find that not just ICANN Org and ICANN community, we're all a little bit siloed. So for example, when the GDD division or the Domain Name Secretary Engagement was going on, there was an opportunity to bring more broader, say for example, policy issues to those discussions and vice versa. And I'm just really reminding all parts of ICANN that how their individual work relates to the broader mission and vision and output of ICANN because even though we do very diverse things across the community structures and across the ICANN Board department, they all do roll up to the overarching mission of ICANN.

And some of the focus areas are about really doubling down on capacity building, becoming a feedback gathering organization with the use of surveys and polling, finding again the way to help stakeholders believe

that they are active in ICANN, but delinking that from any feeling the need to attend an ICANN meeting or every ICANN meeting, finding a way to really see the enthusiasm that's in the community to do engagement on its own and really team with them to do it in, really, an effective way that raises the skill level and the results for all of us, and then some very specific, just sort of a list of technology tools and communication content recommendations that, again, who will we bring to the community in the coming weeks to get your input on?

So just sort of a high level of some upcoming events. There will be more. – some upcoming reporting on how we've done against the engagement strategy and then our engagement innovation or efforts to really sort of turbo charge the efficiency, the best use of resources, and the effectiveness of engagement for the next few years. So thanks.

And good news to hear about the read-out in Español. I'm really delighted to hear that, Alfredo. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, Chris. Judith, you have the floor.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So thanks so much for this great overview, Chris. I was wondering. I know we started the process a few years ago of a North American strategic plan and I'm wondering if we have any updates on that.

CHRIS MONDINI: So the first few slides I presented were the reporting on the first six months of a North American engagement strategy and that will be formally published in a blog at the end of the month.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Anybody else have a question about Chris? If not, he is always online so you can contact him via e-mail and if you have any further questions about this. So Chris, thank you so much for putting this stuff together. I think it helps us to understand what's coming up and the ideas that you're suggesting we do for engagement. So of course, thank you so much.

So we have a few minutes here and Alan, you want to give us an update on the EPDP, please?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sure, I'll be glad to. There's not a lot to report at this point. Those of you who are following along knew that the EPDP issued – that's the Expedited PDP – on the temporary specification addressing the European General Data Protection Regulations, GDPR.

We issued an interim report that essentially summarized where we were, asked a lot of questions and was open for public comment. The public comment forum consisted of a very large Google form with 147 questions, I think, not all of which needed to be answered by each

response. And we submitted a pretty comprehensive response omitting just a few of the questions where we felt although users would be impacted by the results, we didn't really have a lot to contribute to the discussion, but we made a very large number of significant interactions, some of which were in line with many other people in the group, others which were not at all.

Although, in general, our responses are very much in line with the intellectual property business constituencies, the SSAC, and the GAC. There are differences on occasion, very much different in many cases from the NCSG and the contracted parties.

The contracted parties, of course, are looking to protect, reduce their liabilities and reduce the amount of work they have to put into this. NCSG is looking at this largely from a philosophical point of view and in any case, they have been summarized. We spent the last week and a half starting to look at some of the issues and see if we can come to closure on it.

There were a number of places where I think we're going to see an outcome that is very different from what the temporary spec said, the interim report said, that is. And I think that's good. There is a face-to-face meeting for three days in Toronto, Wednesday through Friday of this week and we're just prepping for it right now. I'll be getting on a plane at noon hour tomorrow and hopefully there may be a lot more to report a week from now, but right now, it's the calm before the storm, I guess and I am expecting somewhat of a storm.

And that's all I really have to report. I'll take any questions if we have time and there's any interest.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

George Kirikos, you have a question, right? Go ahead.

GEORGE KIRIKOS:

Yeah, one of the things that disturbed me about the EPDP recommendations is that it doesn't appear to currently allow – sorry, force – registrars to give registrants the choice to have their WHOIS details be public. But many companies and individuals, I think, would want to opt in to have their details published. But at least under the temporary spec, it was mandated but many of the registrars haven't implemented it and it seems as though they're happy with that status quo so I was wondering how you feel that that will go down in the final [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG:

I don't make predictions. It is one of the issues that the At-Large has taken a very strong stand on, that people should be able to say they want to opt in. That's particularly true because currently, there is a significant discussion item on whether... The GDPR only applies to natural persons, not legal persons, not companies. The temporary spec allowed registrars and registries to treat them the same. That is they could redact information even if they knew a registrant was a legal person, although it's not intuitively obvious how you know that because we don't actually ask the question.

So right now in theory, everything could be redacted including legal persons and we know there are certain companies that want their information displayed and so we're making a very strong case that even, that in the absence of a legal person, natural person distinction, we absolutely must have that capability and we believe that even with that natural persons, should be able to reveal the information should they choose.

So I agree with you completely that it's a very important characteristic that the future RDS WHOIS system should have and it's going to be one of the hotter debates, I thin, coming, going to the meeting. Registrars really want to avoid having to ask questions. They want to avoid having to document an opt0in choice because the GDPR... It's not quite as, just as easy as taking off a box. You have to really be able to demonstrate that you explain the issue and they ticked of that box fully understanding the implications, so registrars, naturally, would like not to have to do that at all because every time you do that, there is some chance someone could claim you didn't set the field properly. But we'll see how it comes out.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, so if anybody has a question, please continue [inaudible] with Alan's line that we have [because] we've run out of time. So before we go, there is Mr. David Morris from [Hawaii]. He is from the [Hawaiian State] Bar Association and he is replacing Seth [Reese] who was their representative before. So David, do you want to introduce yourself for a couple of minutes and then we can adjourn?

DAVID MORRIS:

Yeah, thank you, Eduardo, and I apologize for coming in late. I notice the introductions were earlier on the agenda. Like you mentioned, my name's Dave Morris. Seth [Reese] has been representing our group for a while but he's looking for some replacements so myself and Dane Anderson, we're trying to determine who's going to be primary and secondary, so we'll probably both be around a little bit. But we're trying to get up to speed. I apologize. I'm going to probably just listen for a little while.

My background, again, I'm with AA State Bar Associations, IP and Technology Section so I am an attorney by trade right now. Prior to that, I spent about 15 years in technology, various positions. I worked for, as a network engineer and a product manager for Hawaii's [ILEC] out here. I also, on the side, I teach Management Information Systems at the University of Hawaii at West Oahu. So I do have a little bit of background on the technical side here, and I look forward to jumping in and contributing where I can. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, David, and welcome to the group. Later on, if you decide who is going to be the main representative and the second one, please let us know so we can update our database.

Folks, thank you so much [for all], for Chris for presenting and all of you for supporting your region and being here today. So the next meeting will be January, I forget. I mean February 12 or 14. I'm not sure. In any case, we will be publishing the date.

So thank you so much and this meeting is adjourned. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]