At-Large Summit II Organizing Committee

Date: Thursday, 19 December  2013

Time: 15:00 - 16:00 UTC . (For the time in various timezones click here)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How can I participate in this meeting?

Adobe Connect: http://icann.adobeconnect.com/atlas2/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Participants :  Roberto Gaetano, Siranush Vardanyan, Christopher Wilkinson, Wolf Ludwig, Olivier Crépin-leblond, Darlene Thompson, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Eduardo Diaz, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Fatima Cambronero, Jordi Iparraguirre, Sandra Hoferichter

Apologies:  Baudoin Schombe, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Natalia Enciso

Staff: Heidi Ullrich, Carlos Reyes, Julia Charvolen

Call management: Julia Charvolen

Action Items: ATLAS II 2013.12.19 Action Items

Chat: ATLAS II 2013.12.19 Chat

Recording: EN

Transcript:  ATLAS II 2013.12.19 Transcript

AGENDA

1. Roll Call (1 min) - Staff

2. Agenda approval (1min) - Olivier/Eduardo

3. ATLAS II Overarching Theme (10 min) - Olivier/Eduardo/All

1. The expectation is to reach consensus on this item.

4. Public Relations Message(s) and ATLAS II Goals - (30 min) - Olivier/Eduardo/All

1. The expectation is to reach consensus on this item also. Please read the proposal in the comments area below.

5. F/U Open Action Items: (16 min) - Oliver/Eduardo/All

1. Please come prepared to update the ones assigned to you (ATLAS II Master Action Items List).

6. Next call and steps - (3 min) - Olivier/Eduardo

1. Next meeting: 9/1/14

2. Detailed timeline

• No labels

1 Comment

1. All:

I propose that the following two topics be included during this call so that we are in a better position to drive the PR campaign and validate the event’s agenda. Please read them and formulate your comments before the meeting. The idea is to reach consensus during our call. I am allocating 40 minutes (or less) to do this. 

---0---

1.  ATLASII Overarching Theme (10 minutes)

We expended sometime discussing this topic at our last ATLAS II Organizing Committee call on 5/12/13. It is my impression that there was a rough consensus with regard of adopting the following theme suggested by Jean-Jacques Subrenat  (JJ) in his email dated May 3, 2013 (see extract here: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/ATLAS+II+Sub-Working+Group%3A+Survey): 

Overarching theme for ATLAS II: 

“Global Internet: The User Perspective”

2.  ATLAS II Goals and Public Message (30 minutes)

At our Buenos Aires meeting, Public Relations (PR) staff recommended we have a clear strategy or message that will drive the PR campaign before, during and after the event.  

I have read some of the ATLAS II old emails and wiki comments and I think there is enough there that we can use. I recommend that we start our conversation for the PR strategy with the following suggested ideas by Wolf Ludwig  (WL) and JJ:

PR MESSAGE:

1.     At-Large is the “natural home” of the general Internet user within ICANN

2.     At-Large provides a broader view to the ICANN community

3.     At-Large strengthens ICANN as a model case for multi-stakeholder participation

Regarding the ATLAS II goals, WL provided a very long list (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=39420675) from which I have chosen a few to start the discussion. These strategic goals are:

ATLAS II GOALS:

1.  Achieve a better and powerful representation of user interests at ICANN
    2. Organize and empower Internet users, consumers or civil society to make their voices heard in ICANN’s policy development processes
    3. Improve At-Large’s role and efficiency in policy development processes, shaping of public opinion, establishment and consent finding
    4. Strengthen At-Large as a reservoir for civil society allies pursuing like-minded goals in terms of public interest
    5. Make At-Large broader, inclusive and stronger (like one ALS per country)
    6. Improve inclusiveness and participation of existing and new member ALSs
    7. Bridge knowledge gaps between At-Large insiders and the broader membership and RALO organizations
    8. Exchange of members / ALSs experience and strengthen of bottom-up approach
    9. Better understand concerns, ideas, working areas and expectations of our members
    10. Empowerment of members and user representation
    11. Help the At-Large community to learn more about ICANN’s work, functioning and current issues

Both of the message and goals should work in conjunction. In other words, they should complement each other.