

YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee Call taking place on Thursday, 18th of January, 2018 at 17:00 UTC. On our call today on the English channel, we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Wale Bakare, Ali AlMeshal, Judith Hellerstein, Mohamed El Bashir, Glenn McKnight, and Bastiaan Goslings. On the Spanish channel we have Maritza Agüero, and on the French channel we currently don't have anyone listed.

We have received apologies from Ricardo Holmquist, Maureen Hilyard, Kaili Kan and Alberto Soto. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. We have Spanish and French interpretations for today's call. Our Spanish interpreters are Claudia and Marina, and our French interpreters are Camila and Jacques. I just want to inform you that Eduardo has just joined us. Welcome, Eduardo.

Before we start, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the interpretations but also for the transcription purposes as well, please. Back to you, Alan. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. As I think you all know, the purpose of this call is to do the first pass at the special budget request for this year. Looks like we have a fair amount of work to do based on a very quick review of them, and we don't have an awful lot of time in this call. Heidi, how many requests do we have in total? Roughly?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. We have 17: four At-Large, and 13 RALO requests.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so we have approximately two minutes a piece is all we can really afford to use on them right now if we plan to get through the whole list. So, I'm going to cut out a lot of any other generalities and go right to it, and I'll ask Heidi to take the lead of making a very brief introduction because the two minutes includes the introduction on each one, and opening it up for discussion.

Heidi, if you have any known concerns or issues you want to raise on a particular request, such as the format, it's not actually in the format we need for the template, or something like that, or anything else, please raise that in your introduction of each one. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Should I go ahead and begin, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, I'm going to speed this up by lumping a few. There are some that are clearly in certain categories, so I think we can speed through those. The first one is the IGF. Thank you for everyone. You all came through.

All the RALOs came through. I was a little worried there for a bit. There are actually six requests related to the 2018 IGF.

First is from the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, and then all the other RALOs have also submitted them for various slots. AFRALO and EURALO I believe are five. Olivier, I was a little confused about some of the requests that EURALO sent in, so, if you could help with the exact numbers. APRALO, LACRALO submitted requests for three slots, and NARLAO for two slots. Overall, my thoughts on this, and I reached out to Mandy Carver who is one of the staff leads for --

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi, before you go ahead, the numbers again were five --

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So, there were a total of six requests. One from At-Large, that's the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, and then all the others were from the RALOs, so I'm going to take the five from EURALO, so that would be 10, 16, 17, 18 travel slots from the RALOs.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And several from the Outreach and Engagement?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I don't think that they had any. I think that they assumed that it was going to be all coordinated so the RALOs were the ones asking for the slots.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Which means we do not, for instance, have an ALAC member, which we did on this time from the ALAC request.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That was my understanding. Glenn, you submitted that, so you correct me if I'm wrong. Did you want to continue on that point or...?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, let's continue in general, but I'll note there is no chance in something or other that we are going to get 18 slots in a year where budgets are being constrained. So, let's continue the discussion with that in mind.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you very much, and I'm going to be stressing that throughout as well. I'm also going to highlight where it would very much be useful to consolidate some requests, but coming back to the IGF one, I've reached out to Mandy Carver. What she says is that there should be enough specific information to show that the workshop topic is within ICANN's mission. I don't see that in any of them right now, that they can identify the workshop, including a title, and also who the likely speakers might be.

Again, identification of who might be on that workshop, what the workshop is, at least the title with perhaps a short summary, and then also make sure that the topic is within ICANN's remit.

Any comments on that? So I think all of those need to be sent back and made more clear, identify the titles, etcetera.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, I got dropped and I missed what you said.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, there should be enough specific information to show the workshop topic is within ICANN's mission and that they can identify the workshop that was accepted by the MAG that it's the same workshop as proposed in the additional budget request and also think about who the speakers might be. Again, include a summary of the proposed workshop, title, who the speakers might be, etcetera.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll note -- Glenn in the chat said, "We'll compromise," but if we make the request too outrageous, I think we're asking to be viewed with a little bit of incredulity. On top of that, I think it's really important that we do this. At least one person is there representing the ALAC in general, not there on behalf of a specific topic. That was a precedent we set this year, and I think it's really really important that we go ahead with it, that we're saying it's an At-Large presence, not just because of an approved topic. The approved topic was a prerequisite, some approved topic, but we're saying it's At-Large.

And the other thing I think we have to emphasize is if we are calling this outreach, I think we need some level of evidence or indication that indeed outreach is successful at IGF, and I know we collected a lot of

names at the current one, but historically, I don't think there's a lot of evidence that we are successful in generating new active workers because of IGF. So, as you are rewording these documents, I think we have to put that into account. We have several hands. Tijani, and then Judith.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Alan. Tijani speaking. It's normal, Heidi, that you don't have the titles, you don't have a description etc., because we don't have the overarching theme of the IGF 2018, and we cannot propose any title or any topic because it might not be in concordance with the overarching theme, and it would be an objective if it is like this. That's why you have proposals without items, without content if you want. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, Judith Hellerstein for the record. I was actually going to second what Tijani said. I looked at what was approved last year, and last year's ones that were approved also did not have topics yet because they were done too early before the MAG had met. The MAG has not met yet. The MAG has not reconvened. We don't know who the 2018 members. We don't know anything about the IGF, so is it too early, yes you could do themes, but you can't write up a workshop. I know what

my theme is but I can't write up a workshop unless I can fine tune it with the theme that IGF has proposed.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi, do you want to make a comment at this point?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, just briefly. I'm trying to help you get all of these accepted, and this is what I'm hearing. Looking at past IGFs, the things are relatively the same, so again, the workshops don't generally go exactly to the topic. There are hundreds of workshops.

I think that you have right now the ability, because you all have attended the IGFs in the past so you know it's going to be about end users mostly likely and then there's a general idea of what it might be, so I think that you could already develop a general introduction to a workshop and identify the speakers who will likely be going.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I would suggest that you may want to add a proviso saying depending on the theme and the recommendations from the MAG that these details might need to be refined, but if you don't put something down, you're losing credibility at this point.

Now, it may not be reasonable, but that is where we're working at this point. There is going to be more choices made in these budget requests than there was last year, and you're going to have to make a case why this is something that should be funded.

It's going to have to be more general, and specifically, since we're not going to get anywhere near 18 people, I think they have to be toned down and make sure that we are making the case that this is something substantive we want to do as opposed to just give us more travel.

We have Maritza and then Tijani. We can't spend too much time on this. We can come back to this at the end if necessary. Maritza?

MARITZA AGUERO:

Maritza speaking, can you hear me? I'd like to know. This is Maritza speaking. I'd like to know if you can hear me. Thank you. As it was said, the issue is to have a proposal accepted for the IGF and that does not depend only on developing a theme or a topic, but many other things, such as the speakers, the fact that it is approved.

I have submitted two proposals to the IGF and it has been complicated. Based on what Tijani and Judith have said, I suggest to propose not a specific title because [inaudible] too early. In the first round, I submitted a joint proposal. It was accepted, but it was not as simple as saying we have a topic and that's it, and assume that it will be accepted. There are several filters to pass through. We know it is not easy to go through the MAG, so I suggest that we should go back and see how the various sections were dealt with in the past. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much[Inaudible], we just proposed themes because we didn't have already an overarching theme. How about if you propose a theme now on the applications and give it to the finals and it is approved? Then the overarching theme will not cover this theme. We are obliged to change it, otherwise it will not be added by the MAG, so shall ICANN accept that we go with another theme than the one which was approved on the application? It is too complicated. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I think we're trying to cross bridges that we don't need to cross until the bridge actually arrives, so if we have to satisfy finance about a workshop being worth [inaudible], then let's write those, let's draft those as they are, and then if it gets given, granted and so on, and then we find the themes and the ideas are completely different, then we'll just have to make amendments. I'm sure finance will understand that because it would be absolutely ridiculous to file for a workshop with the MAG that would not fit within the theme. It's basically setting up for failure.

I really hope that we're going to get some reasonable understanding on all sides. So let's do this, let's provide more details, and if the theme doesn't work and we have to change the details, then we'll change them. But we don't need to cross that bridge right now.

The second point I wanted to make was, I'm not quite sure I agree with you Alan, with regards to the IGF not having demonstrated to provide any new members and any results for outreach. I think quite the contrary. A great majority of our ALSes from all regions have actually come from initial meetings that took place at the IGF.

I can certainly give you a list with EURALO and APRALO and AFRALO of I would say two dozen ALSes that have had their first contact with At-Large and with the ICANN multistakeholder model begin explained by somebody from our community at IGF. If we need to draw up the list, I'm ready to draw it up and to give it over. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Olivier. In that case, if you can do that, then these requests should include some reference to that. Other comments? [AUDIO BREAK]

Hearing nothing, Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. So again, I've noted that we're going to send these requests back and request that they add more detail about the workshop. Just a general title, again, a general one that is subject to change, some of the themes might be showing that they relate to the ICANN mission, and possible speakers on that.

Also, I just wanted to highlight that the requests submitted by the subcommittee on outreach and engagement does include a very streamlined set of activities for outreach. I've heard from members of

the board and even Goran that they were extremely happy to see At-Large organized in Geneva, so I think that that was a really good way forward, plus all the reports. We should definitely include that with the submission, and I think that will help that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: My only caveat is, as these are being resubmitted, think carefully about the number of people you are asking for, and the outreach and engagement does need at least some component from ALAC proper as opposed to associated directly with workshops.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, so I would say a good number would be two each. Again, I'll only mention the time frame. Alan, should I do that right now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so the time frame right now is that the 26th of January is the deadline for all At-Large revised requests come back to the SC and staff. On the 23rd the ALAC will review the current ones and mention what the request for revision would be or are. On the 31st of January, it was the deadline for submission to the ICANN controller.

So, you have a little more than a week for this. Not much time. So, we'll have to get those back pretty quickly. Please, members of the

[inaudible], do work with those who have sent in the request content.
So Alan, should I move on to the second theme I've identified?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, the second theme are communication/promotional activities. Again, here we've seen requests from AFRALO for video for raising awareness in various African languages. We've seen a request from APRALO for a popup banner. From EURALO, I just need to double check what that one was, and for NARALO, translation of a current mail card.

Now, I'm going to strongly suggest that all of those are put into an overall At-Large request for communications and promotional materials, and I would suggest that this go into the area of approximately \$10,000 to \$20,000 for that request.

Also, one for example, for the APRALO banner, we can certainly use either existing funds in fiscal year '18, or we could even use the RALO discretionary funding that we'll get to an update on that in another agenda item. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Heidi. My recollection in the past there's been a communications general budget that can be drawn on for communication-like things. You're now suggesting that we have a communications budget within At-Large that we can use for these

various things in the RALOs. Does that imply that you believe we may not see the lump sum of communications budget at this point?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. Given the budget issues that are happening, yeah, that's likely the case. We will see more details when the public comments for the fiscal year '19 budget is out.

ALAN GREENBERG: And of course, if there is such a budget in the communications budget, then they can simply answer this one saying it's already covered there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. So, do you agree?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think what we're suggesting is these various ones be merged together into an ALAC request on behalf of the RALOs and include the specific items as examples of how the funding could be used, but make it much more general. Comments? Tijani, please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. What is the interest of merging them all in one request since they are different requests? They are different actions, so if you put them together it will be a bigger amount, and perhaps it would dissuade or discouraged the finance people [inaudible], and I

don't see why. What is the advantage, what is the interest in that?
Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well, I think what you're hearing is, we believe that the money that has been used for a number of general things, things that just come up in the middle of the year, may not be available this year. So, we are trying to make sure that there is such a fund available for things as they arise. That's number one.

Number two, I think the concept of putting in a budget request, for example, for the translation of a document, I just don't think that makes any sense. I think if we're going to put in a request, it has to be for something that has some substantive value to warrant the amount of time that it's going to take to discuss it. In that particular one, I thought we had access to translation services period without asking for a budget request for it, so I'm a little bit confused on that particular one.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

That is correct. I think a comprehensive request for funds for promotional/communication activity materials would be useful.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Mohamed is asking, who will consolidate? I think we need two or three people from the RALOs to get together and write one, which may mean one person writes it and the others agree.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can do that too, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we have a volunteer in Heidi. Thank you. Tijani, does that make sense now? Or do you still have a problem with this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, go ahead, no problem.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Judith Hellerstein for the record. I think Glenn was saying that he wanted printing of these brochures. We have a mail card, and we have an online brochure, but we have nothing in Spanish, and I think he wanted the printing of one of them in Spanish, not necessarily the translation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, then there was a slight misunderstanding. But regardless, I think this still falls under the types of things that were covered by the blanket communications budget before and we are getting some indication that might not exist this year.

So, if we want to be able to do that kind of thing, and there are certainly things like that that come up throughout the year, especially as there

are individual events, that I think we need to have some level of funding that we can use towards this kind of thing. Heidi, thank you for taking responsibility for it, and let's go on.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, the third item topic would be ALS/RALO request. So here for the ALSe, we have one from EURALO for assistance for the individual users and here they're asking for things such as help with surveys, help with materials, etcetera.

Again, that might just be within staff requests, however, a concern is that they are an ALS, so my concern is that if assume that staff is going to help ALSes with surveys, etcetera, then that's going to open staff up to being potentially needing to do that for all 225 ALSes, which would obviously not be possible within our bandwidth.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi, I see Olivier's hand is up, but I'm going to preempt him for a moment. I would suggest that request has to be reworded to say it's on behalf of individual users within EURALO and parenthetically which happened to be organized into a single virtual ALS, because we do already do the comparable things. We run votes for individual users in NARALO. We will run votes for individual users in the other organizations.

It is perhaps from this point of view unfortunate that the EURALO has organized this as an ALS, but I don't think that we should let that alter the position of we need to support our individual members. That's

going to be a growing requirement, if nothing else, due to the At-Large review, and maybe there's an argument why EURALO should change how they're organized to not be an ALS but be a virtual ALS, as NARALO does for instance, but I don't think we want to let that get into the way operationally.

So I think that we want to make it clear in the request, this is not a request from an ALS. This is a request period from individual users within or on behalf of the individual users within EURALO, and some of them I think it's clearly within our current staff responsibility. Some might need some additional funding. I'll turn it over to Olivier now.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking, and thanks for actually saying the points that I was going to make, so, great. But I don't see where the applications need to be changed because it doesn't actually mention At-Large structure anywhere in there, so that's Heidi saying it's an At-large structure, but we didn't write it. We could support part [inaudible] individual users in EURALO, which is what it is. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, and some of it, when I read it, is clearly things we already do as a matter of course, and unless you're planning to have 75 surveys a month, which is going to be a significant draw on staff, just having an occasional vote, I don't think is anything that we have to agonize over.

Heidi, I'll turn it back to you. If there is something that's left over that you think does need specific funding, then that should be there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. So, just to clarify, this particular request is going to be sent back and asked to generalize it for individuals across EURALO or across At-Large?

ALAN GREENBERG: I see no need to request that we get a special budget request for taking an occasional vote of individual members, or an occasional survey of individual members. That's something that I think we're already doing, certainly on behalf of some other RALOs for their individual members, and I don't see any reason to treat EURALO differently.

If there are components there, which is a meeting; I think there was even a reference of a face to face meeting there, then certainly that needs to have a special budget request, but a teleconference of individual members I don't see requiring an individual budget request. That should come within our overall staff needs, and if we're starting to push our staff needs, then we should be asking for staff in the general sense, not to satisfy that particular need. Olivier, a new hand?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, it is. Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Of course, there's the meeting. It asks for the printing of brochures. It asks for the website help to develop the website. There are several angles to this, and it's all down to the -- back to the lessons learned from having been

a very bit involved at the IGF and seeing that all of the material that's currently out there is really geared towards At-large structures and not towards individual users.

So, if we want to follow what the At-Large review was saying, then I think that we need to push for this shouldn't and if this is refused, then we really have to point out the conflict between the At-large review on one side saying we need to do that and financing, no we don't need to do that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, Olivier, things like printing brochures, we've already talked about in the previous item of a general communications budget, in the case that the central communications in ICANN doesn't have that budget anymore. In terms of the At-Large review, we're in a very awkward position. We thought by this time we would have had formal board approval to go and implement the review and we're nowhere near that right now.

So we're in an awkward position of asking for budget requests which we had hoped to do, that are directly aligned with implementation things in the review, given that the review is not at a stage where we can do that right now and we are going to have to do them as adhoc budget requests when we are well into the year. We just have no choice at this point.

There's no credibility in making a budget request for implementation of a review which is not at that stage of having board approval or even

having a document describing what it is we're going to be implementing.

But we know within any implementation, there are going to be things like enhancing the website. That's inevitable. There are just too many problems that we have identified in the process of looking at the review. The communication is already there. So the question is, what's left from the things that we should be providing for a normal matter of course, or are already covering in the communications in the overall request.

If there are things, then let's make sure that we're explaining it moderately clearly, why we need a special request for EURALO individual members. That is not something that should be more generalized and therefore provided as a matter of course by staff. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, so the action item here is that that request will go back to EURALO and reword it to stress more for individual members.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The question is, after we remove the communications, after we remove minor changes to the website and things like that to make sure that we are attracting what an individual member wants to get involved, that there's something for them to look at, not just ALSes, is there anything left in the request that is specific to EURALO? Maybe the answer is yes.

Maybe the answer is no. I'm not sure. But that's what we need to look at and refine it as necessary.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so Olivier, you're the one who developed that, so we'll send that back to you for more revision.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we can assume there will be web changes, there will be communication stuff that has to be done as a result of the review when we get to that stage. It's unfortunate it's not today, but that's where we are. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan, it's Olivier speaking. EURALO individual users have their own website. There are things which are specific to EURALO.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is the website hosted by ICANN or hosted by someone else?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It is not. ICANN said it does not want to host websites that are not ICANN. We are in this situation where ICANN said, "This is an ALS," on the other side, this is the fasted growing ALS as far as individual users are concerned. The most dynamic one because we've got a whole team with a board, with everybody actually working on this, so it's not like

there's something wrong here. I'm just surprised that there is so much push back here.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think you've identified a problem that our website, for instance, is not manageable at all by volunteers. It was to be done all by staff. Now, you have a situation where indeed, you may want to be managing that microsite yourself and creating your own content, and if we do that on the ICANN website, my understanding is that's not allowed. So, I think we have a substantive problem we have to address, but I don't think we can address it as a budget request. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Should I move on with that?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think so. I don't feel we have closure on this one, but I know we're not going to get budget approval to hire someone to work on a website, other than the ICANN website. It's not going to happen, and yet we seem to have a quandary that we can't do it ourselves either. I think we're going to have to address that somehow.

To be honest, as we go to more pushing for individual members, I suspect we want a comparable set of webpages for each of the RALOs, and we're going to have to figure out just how to do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Alan, just a thought. I know that we have ALS -- on our website, we have what are ALSes and we list them. We could just stress maybe having an overall individual page stressing what individuals do, etcetera. I think we can do that maybe not exactly how the request is, but I don't see why we couldn't do anything for all individuals certainly.

ALAN GREENBERG: We can do it for all individuals and we can even do it one page for each RALO. I think what Olivier is saying is, you've got a lot of interested people who want to do more than that, and how do we do it. I don't think we're going to solve it in a budget request meeting, but I think we may need to talk to the web people and figure out just how we do this properly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, that's the way to go. And I think that this is going to turn up really once the improvements get going, seeing as they are very valid points. So, let's move on. I'll just go then to some of the individual ones.

The first one is the access by RALOs for funding of local engagement activities. I think this one has turned around from the fiscal year '17 when there was no request. We now have a couple of RALOs that have taken their full allotment of \$2,000, three RALOs still have some. Some haven't even started.

AFRALO and APRALO have yet to use their full \$2,000, but I would suggest that this one be increased to maybe \$3,000 or even \$4,000 for the RALOs this year, and see what happens. It's a total of \$2,000 or

\$10,000 in total. So, if we were to raise this to let's say \$20,000 to double it -- and again, we can show -- go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: This is the one that last year was labeled GSE Funding for RALO Activities, is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: And the answer was, "Yes, core." Why are we making another request? I can understand why we may want to increase it. Why are we making another request for something we were told was going to the core? You're going to hear that question from me a couple of more times today.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This was actually not into core as far as I know. Again, one more time, it was some funds made available, but the implementation was given to Silvia and myself, and we've worked with the RALO leaders to develop criteria for the granting of these requests and gotten the word out, and you can see, there's a link coming I've just put it in there, that's the implementation space for all of the Fiscal '18 year requests and you can see that there's a lot more taken up on the wiki with this particular request.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, but why were we told last time it was in core if you're implying it is not?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It might be in core, but that does not mean -- let me just take a look.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought core means we don't have to request it anymore. I understand if you now want to an increase from \$2,000 to \$3,000, but --

HEIDI ULLRICH: Or even \$4,000. Let me double check that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think you're getting a bit overambitious at this point.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, I don't think so.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. Tijani speaking. I do agree with Heidi. Perhaps if it is not consume it now for some RALOs, it is because it's insignificant, some

people wanted to have money and we told them it is only \$200, and they say, "What is that? No need to have it." So I think to have a little bit more will be more significant and will be really useful for the ALSes. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Tijani. I would make sure that we word it. I have no problem increasing it. If you think we have credibility to ask for \$4,000 per RALO, go for it. But make sure it makes reference to the fact that we already have \$2,000 for RALO in core.

If they're going back and they say, "Yeah, it was in core last year, but it's not in core anymore," then the wording has no meaning whatsoever, and I want them to actually have to address that. So, make it clear that we already went into core, but we're increasing the amount. Does that sound reasonable, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, yeah, it's a good point. And I'll double check what that core part means. But yes, I'll include the [CROSSTALK].

ALAN GREENBERG:

My understanding of core is, you don't have to make the request anymore. It's there. So unless the request has been changed...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, it's a valid point, and I don't know why it says that when I'm hearing it's still in ABR. Let me double check on that. I'll do that. Let's move on then.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have Judith's hand up, please. Judith, go ahead. We are 15 minutes from the end of the call.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, yes. It will be short. So this is when captioning had its first pilot, we got put in core, but it did not mean we had to apply two extra times for a third time until we actually made it into a core -- until we actually made it not having to apply. Each time, we were put in core.

To me, I was told, "It's a cool idea, and once it comes off the pilot, then it will continue being core, but until you get off that stage, it's meaningless. It just means it's going to be in core when we get off pilot stage," which is how captioning went.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, that's a completely irrational position that I don't want us to encourage. Heidi, next item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, next would be the ALT [inaudible] sessions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, and my comment to that is ditto.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ditto? Okay, so check on the core.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's in core. We're not changing it. Do we have to request it again? If we do, I'm fine doing it, but I want someone to explain to me what in core means, if that's not the case. So, I'll let you deal with finance and decide whether to put it in or not. We definitely want the meetings.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I also see the same things for another request. So Judith, just double checking that you did -- I'm just going to go down actually now. So, that is discretionary funding strategy session. Here we have the IGF. Global Indigenous Peoples Ambassador Program. Now this one is a highly successful program. Well done, everyone, on that. It really has gotten the attention of the community. This year, the request is for a doubling of the numbers.

So again, I would think we submit it maybe as is, and then it might be that at minimum, you would get the current number that you have. [CROSSTALK], at minimum. Silvia, if you could note that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, I know we are no longer requesting, and I don't think we did last year, the development session at the end of the AGM for the new ALAC

and new RALO leaders. That is part of the established funding at this point? We don't need to worry about...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll double check.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't think we asked for it. I thought we had asked for it last year, but it's not on the list as I'm looking at it right now. Just double check that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that's now officially into core, and as long as you're okay with having a member of the community be the facilitator, then we can handle like we handle the [CROSSTALK].

ALAN GREENBERG: Certainly, I don't know how the RALO one worked last year, but the ALAC one was absolutely marvelous. So, I'm happy with that. It presumes, of course, we have a volunteer from the community who can do it. We did last year. Let's hope we will again.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. So then moving down the list, we're into the RALOs now. We've covered a lot of those under those two sections that I have mentioned already. Olivier, I do have questions on some of yours. You have diversity and ICANN leadership bodies.

Then you have one for the Internet of Things and increasing governance challenge ahead, which includes -- there's a note in there about IGF workshops. Then you also have one for an NCUC RALO town hall at ICANN63, and then that one, you're looking for an additional night for panelists to get there on that Friday, is that right?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks Heidi. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. The Barcelona thing will really depend on when that capacity building town hall type event is taking place, and since we don't yet know what the schedules are quite like, it's a little difficult, so we're just making a provision or asking for a provision, should we have to have panelists arrive one day early.

Because the last time, in Helsinki, that event took place on a Saturday afternoon, and I think that most people were actually arriving on that Saturday afternoon, even though the fellows arrived quite early. So, we would have had to ask for an addition night on the Friday night before the Saturday in that situation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, is it clear that NCUC is making this request in parallel? Or are we doing it on behalf of them?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I've told the NCUC. The response that I've had from them is they're on board. They're not planning to make a request themselves, though. So, this is a joint request if one needs to make it a joint request.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that needs to be made crystal clear.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I think that would help, Olivier. So Olivier, just to confirm. EURALO is submitting two IGF requests. One is for Internet of Things, and the other one is for diversity and ICANN leadership bodies. Is that correct?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I'd have to check on the requests that have been made, so the IoT request is for three people for the workshop on IoT. And the other request -- by the way, the reason why it's taken me to read those is because I'm not the person that makes all the requests, so they all have my name on it but there are various people that have brought these forward. So, the second one is the diversity. [AUDIO BREAK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: It seems to be saying a joint workshop at one ICANN six times, fiscal year 2019, and then at the very end, it says, and five people for the IGF. I'm not clear on what that is.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That one is an ongoing activity, and that is something which starts out as diversity in ICANN leadership, and that is a study that needs to take

place over several ICANN meetings. Then, the results can be presented at IGF, so it's effectively showing how diversity is being addressed in ICANN. So it's all good for ICANN in itself.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, within fiscal year '19, the Barcelona meeting is the first one, so then you wouldn't have very long to get any kinds of materials together for the IGF that year. If it's supposed to be an ongoing study.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That is a good point. I'll have to get back to the person who drafted this and find out and amend it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We can coordinate offline about that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It would have to be a longer thing than just one ICANN meeting, as you all have noticed. So it might well be that indeed the IGF would not be IGF 2018, but it would be IGF 2019. I'll have to get back to you on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that is it, Alan. Oh, there's a couple from LACRALO.

ALAN GREENBERG:

It is not. We have some other things. Number one, Tijani's hand is up, and number two, there's a comment in the chat saying I was berating Judith. Judith, I was not berating you. I was berating ICANN finance, who are using the term in core and then going back and saying that you have to request it again. That is the part that I said makes absolutely no sense and I think we should stop accepting it and call them on it. I wasn't criticizing you or what you were told. I understand that.

But I'm saying it makes no sense and we need to start training ICANN finance to come up with straight answers that we don't have to play games with. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way, but it really is a very negative comment about how these requests are being answered if we have to continually go back after we are told things are in core. Tijani, please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Alan. As for the joint event that Olivier wants to organize with NCUC, I believe that we need to ask for one more night for our community. We should do the requests for the ALAC people and they should do the request for the NCUC people. I don't think that we can make the request for NCUC people for this event. We cannot make it as a joint request. Everyone do its own request for their own people, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. That's a good point. The request for the session and other support I think is fine to do jointly. If there is an actual budget allocation for travel, they should identify the number of people they're looking at, and do that in a separate request pointing to ours. So Olivier, you may want to talk to -- I'm not sure who's the chair right now of NCUC.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Renata.

ALAN GREENBERG: Renata. Okay. Tijani makes a good point. But I don't think we want two separate requests for the same thing. They should be requesting travel for their people in conjunction with the joint request that is going in under our name.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, if I may. It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. This seems to be splitting hair. We're making the request. Then it's down to finance to say, "Well half of it is NCUC. Half of it is ALAC." I don't care what the budget that comes from and so on. It sounds like you want then two requests. Or you say that NCUC needs to basically make a request and say, "Point out the ALAC request."

You're just complicating things for individuals and for people who are volunteers. I don't understand why we're making things more difficult. Okay fine, we'll do it. I'll ask Renata. She's not going to be happy. But, I'll do it.

ALAN GREENBERG: You can write it for her. Either copy the whole thing saying this is a duplicate of the request, but the travel part is separate, or it can be a very simple -- may I finish?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: What if NCUC -- well yeah, but it's -- whatever, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, I'm doing it for a very specific reason. This is going to be a very tightly competed year. We are not likely to have the level of funding that we had in previous years, is from what I'm gathering, and I don't want to be in a position where they end up allocating all of the travel funds, including the NCUC people, under our budget, and I don't believe they have the ability to take a budget and split it between two AC/SOs when they are reconciling how much is being given to each.

So, if we take on theirs on our budget, we are making it less likely that we are going to be funded for some of the other projects, and that's why I want to make sure that the financial part is divided between two different requests. I'm sorry if it seems like an additional burden, but there's going to be a very short request pointing to ours and simply having the component of the end night's travel. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have two remaining requests that are from LACRALO. One is for a course mediation that was submitted by Alberto. It's a mediation

course for LACRALO members, that I don't believe it's a face to face. They're looking for 20 hours in total, with 10 two-hour modules, and they are requesting language services, a trainer in mediation, and Adobe Connect and telephone.

My suggestion is that this might be useful, perhaps submitted as is, but perhaps just add that, perhaps [inaudible] an ICANN course be the way to go; [inaudible] course be the way to go. Again, there's no clarity whether this is a face to face in which case I highly doubt that that would be approved, or if this is just a webinar. I'm not sure about that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alright, we need more clarity to understand exactly what it is and what is being requested in terms of travel or other facilities. It sounded to me as if we're talking about a webinar or series of webinars and paying for an external facilitator and trainer, is what it sounded to me, but I may have misunderstood that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You're right. It doesn't say travel funding, so I'm assuming it's not, but again, given the new platform for ICANN Learn, I highly suggest that it be through that as well. Perhaps webinars, but also, definitely use ICANN Learn.

ALAN GREENBERG:

We are out of time at this point, so we are running on borrowed time. I would suggest that Maritza go back to Alberto and clarify exactly what it is he's requesting, and I see Tijani has his hand up. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. As we are reaching the end of the call, as any other business, I would like to request that the finance and budget subcommittee invite Xavier and his team to come and to make a presentation of the Y19 planning because no one attended their presentation in Abu Dhabi, and it was a real pity for me.

They always programmed their sessions at the end so we are already booked for other activities, so can we please request that Xavier come with his team and make a presentation?

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, they're asking can we invite Xavier to the ALAC call. Do you mean the ALAC call next week? Or are you talking about a future ALAC call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, this is the one next week because we are going to be discussing that request on the ALAC call next week.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think Tijani is talking about the overall ICANN budget and planning, not the special budget requests.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, that might be perfect timing as well, Alan. You will likely see in the public comments --

ALAN GREENBERG: If we invite Xavier and Finance, we're talking about 40 minutes out of the call. Do we have that much flexibility on our call this week?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I'm speaking about a specific session with the Finance about planning for the --

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, yes, I understood that. Heidi is asking can we do it on the ALAC call. My opinion is probably not.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so you're saying another call next week with Xavier to talk about -
- Alan, we're going to run out of time otherwise.

ALAN GREENBERG: This is unrelated to special budget requests. And I do not think it needs to be held next week. Tijani, do you disagree?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I agree with you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Then we don't need to discuss this further here. We have Ali, and we have Silvia has her hands up saying Maritza wants to talk. I'm not sure who is going to speak, but Ali first. [AUDIO BREAK]

Cannot hear you, Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL: Hello? Okay, great. I said as we are approaching to the end of the call, I was wondering, because we will be resubmitting most of the applications again with some adjustment, can we resubmit or submit a new application along with this resubmission? Like if we missed one or two requests for example and want to submit it this time?

ALAN GREENBERG: You're saying can you add new requests to the same time?

ALI ALMESHAL: Exactly.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be honest, it's going to have to be really compelling. I'm going to leave it with your judgment. If you submit it, we will look at it, but it's going to have to be really compelling and it's going to have to be in really really good shape. So, take that under advisement.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay, done. Thanks, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Maritza, please. [AUDIO BREAK]

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you very much. Maritza speaking. I have two things to mention. First of all, since the LACRALO proposals have not been mentioned, only Alberto's proposal has been mentioned, I would like to know what would be the feedback we would receive from the proposal.

In the case of LACRALO, we have submitted four proposals. Two were related to IGF, but there's only one listed; two were related to IGF and were discussed in the first part of the call, and two related to ALS. Now, regarding Alberto's proposals, as Heidi was saying, this effectively may be done through some activities that need not be face to face, but Alberto's proposal is mostly related to negotiating an agreement instead of mediation when you review the proposal.

With regards to the other proposal from the ALS in Panama, we haven't been able to review it. I don't know if we are going to have some additional time to review all the proposals, or how we would receive the feedback. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. In terms of the second LACRALO proposal, we've been trying to get to it, but other people have been making other comments. Heidi has not had an opportunity to present that one yet. Heidi also mentioned she has only seen one LACRALO proposal for IGF, but Heidi, perhaps before we go on, we can actually finish the last of the

proposals, which we haven't done yet, and then go see where we are.
Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I've only seen three LACRALO requests, and the third one is the 22nd Congress of the -- let's see, the IberoAmerican Congress, and again, I've asked Humberto for some more clarity because I'm not quite sure exactly what this is. They're looking for airfare for 10 speakers, which in my view is excessive and will likely not be accepted for that.

I don't know whether ICANN, I don't know whether Rodrigo, you know, the GSE team is involved in this. I don't have enough information on this, so we're waiting to hear from Humberto and Maritza as well on more details on exactly what this is.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll note that if you're asking for airfare and you do not want hotel or per diem, that should be explicit, because the norm is if you're asking to transport people there, then you're normally asking to house them and feed them as well. Be clear what is being requested, but clearly, 10 people flying in is not something likely to be funded.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. Just quickly on that one, I do note that they noted that they did get sponsorship for up to 60% of that, so it's not clear on what they're requesting, the 10 speakers etcetera, whether 60% of that has been covered, meaning they only need four. So, I just need more

details all around on that one. And I will look for the second IGF request.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any further comments? I do note, Heidi, the IGF Outreach and Engagement request does not actually have a document attached to it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, if you could please send that to me again. I will look again in my emails, but I didn't actually see a Word document request on that. I saw just some text in the email, I believe. Alan, I've asked for a little bit more time. I think we have about two minutes left, and we still have the fiscal year '18 implementation status, which will take 30 seconds.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Alan. So, on the agenda, and I will put in the chat the link for that, I've updated all of the fiscal year '18 ABRs. That's going in there now with no details on that. But you'll see that we are making very good progress. Most of them are either in progress or complete. If you want to just stress that the captioning, you haven't seen that yet, but we're about ready to begin. We're going to be changing that to RTP, realtime transcription, and language services have indicated that they are ready to go, so that will start soon.

And we also just [inaudible], so we do have one from LACRALO for the leadership video, and perhaps we can work on that so that can happen during ICANN61 when some of you will be there as well. Besides that, I think that they are for the most part done, so I think we're in good shape. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you, Heidi. I'll note the ALT strategy meeting says yes in core, but you told me privately that your understanding was it was only funded for two meetings and not three. If you can please verify on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'm going to double check on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And we have several hands up. Judith, please go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. What is the status of the policy tracking proposal? Because they still haven't done it. They were going to work on something else that they needed to beforehand, but we have no idea what they're going to be working on and I just didn't have time to submit a second one this year to follow up on it. But the first one has never really been done either. And maybe you could tell us about the follow up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, if you could check with Laura on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I will check with Laura.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Thanks for updating that page, Heidi, that has the status of the different proposals. I just note one small error, which is the GSE funding for RALO activities. The EURALO fund is not completed. I think it still has one thousand and something dollars left. We've used \$1,056.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I thought that you put in the request for \$2,000 and that was taken. I'll double check with Susie on that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Some of it was not provided. Because the power adapters are the only things that made it there. The others didn't.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Again, just on that point, please, APRALO, AFRALO, please use that funding and submit your reports before the ABRs are agreed to. It will give it more ability to increase the funds.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, are you saying you're not going to pay for things they didn't actually get?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: How unreasonable of you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I know. It's terrible.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any further comments from anyone? We are 12 minutes over the meeting. Two minutes over the extension.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so Alan, just one more point, sorry. I think you've mentioned it. The last point on the agenda was the fiscal year '19. You will be seeing that very very shortly, the draft budget. The public comment will be opening, and again, what I'll do is, in the next couple of weeks, we'll set up a call with Xavier to go over that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any further comments? Thank you all. Bye-bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]