
MARRAKECH – At-Large APRALO Meeting
Sunday, March 06, 2016 – 08:00 to 09:00 WET
ICANN55 | Marrakech, Morocco

SAVE VOCEA: Save Vocea, ICANN staff.

KAILI KAN: Kaili Kan of ALAC.

ARIEL LIANG: Ariel Liang, ICANN staff.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Maureen Hilyard, ALAC.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Siranush Vardanyan, APRALO.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco, At-Large staff.

JIA-RONG LOW: Jia-Rong, ICANN staff.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HOLLY RAICHE: Holly Raiche, ALAC.

ALI ALMESHAL: Ali AlMeshal, APRALO.

LIANA GALSTYAN: Liana Galstyan, Internet Society Armenia.

JOYCE CHEN: Joyce, ICANN staff.

AMIR QAYYUM: Amir Qayyum, a NomCom member from APRALO.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, and welcome again. I would like to once again introduce the new Global Stakeholder Engagement and VP for Asia Pacific, Jia-Rong, and welcome him for the first time to an APRALO monthly meeting and Joyce together with him. Welcome to our great team.

I hope you will enjoy working with us as we do working with APAC Hub. We really had put a very high standard of partnership between APRALO and APAC Hub, and it serves like a best practice and example for all other RALOs. Many of the other

RALOs are following us in this partnership. I'm happy to share that we really are doing a great job together as we have the main goal, which is general for both parts, and without this partnership, it wouldn't be done.

So, once again, welcome to this team, and I would like to give the floor to Jia-Rong to talk a little bit about our current and future plans.

ALI ALMESHAL: Siranush, if you would allow me before Jia-Rong starts. By the way, he speaks three languages.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Jia-Rong, we know that you know three languages. We don't have interpretation, by the way, for this time, but there are 73 languages in Asia Pacific, so a lot to do for both of us.

JIA-RONG LOW: Thank you so much, Siranush and Ali, and thank you for the welcome. I have some slides. Ariel, do you mind putting them up for me?

While that is being done, I'd like to say thank you again for the very warm welcome. My name is Jia-Rong and I'm the new Vice

President for Asia and Managing Director for the ICANN Asia Pacific Hub that is in Singapore, and we cover the region.

Of course, for the region, in terms of vice presidents, I cover Asia, while Save, who is also in the room, is covering Oceania region, so the two of us work hand-in-hand. We like to work very closely with you.

I have been with ICANN since we started the Asia Pacific Hub two and a half years ago. You are very familiar with Kuek, who was then the vice president. I joined on the same day as him with ICANN in day one. He has since moved on, but we remain committed to working to continue to globalize ICANN through the Asia Pacific Hub and also to continue to work with APRALO.

I'm very familiar with APRALO's work, even though you would know Kelvin Wong very well because he works very closely with you. But I'm very familiar with all the work and I'm committed, even after I've stepped up to replace Kuek in his role, that our partnership continues, so this will not change. I am very excited about the work that we have already done together, and I am very confident of the APRALO leadership as well as our collaboration going forward, so very excited about this.

Now, let me go to the presentation. Next slide, please. One more slide, as well. Yes, sorry. Good.

So just to recap, APRALO and the ICANN Asia Pacific Hub – since London ICANN 50, APRALO and APAC Hub have worked together on identifying focus areas where we can collaborate. The focus, I think, if I were to sum up in one line is really bringing ICANN to the world, bring ICANN to our region.

The work that arose out of that was three focus areas. On the slide: language localization as supported by community. We've seen the ICANN localization tool kit, and we've also worked with the At-Large structure to have materials in the ICANN translated to local languages through working with At-Large. A number of such languages have come up, but I would like to highlight Hindi as an example for our region.

Focus area two is on leveraging APAC for capacity and capability building, and now we know every two months we have an APRALO APAC Hub webinar. This has been going on very well. I've been one of the speakers, as well. I'll talk about it later.

The third focus area is on supporting APAC outreach to raise awareness and increase stakeholder participation. We have worked together and just recently at APRICOT, the APRALO leadership has been there. We also do outreach through such regional fora, and we hope to be able to do even more going forward. Next slide, please. Good.

Now, on the APRALO APAC Hub Webinar Series, I mentioned that we do this once every two months. Now, since April 2015, we have started this program and we have had five webinars so far on various topics. I mentioned I was one of the speakers, and incidentally that's the one in November 2015 where I updated on the IANA transition. It was a very good turnout and a lot of interaction during the session. Very, very excited about it at the time and I still am. I think there is a lot of potential for us to content working and to bring more participants. I think the average turnout so far has been 20 to 30, but this is growing, and the ALS representation has been about 5 to 10.

I think we can continue to drive this. It's very, very good. We are on an upward trajectory, so as long as we keep the momentum going, people will get used to it and we can draw more participation. I think this is very, very good.

I'm very excited because we have a plan. Of course, things may move back and forth a little bit, but the next sessions are all on the slide: universal acceptance, WHOIS, DNS security, and so on.

Now, I want to highlight one key thing. It is the captioning that will be used for webinars going forward. It is a pilot. We will have a number of sessions, webinars where when the speaker is speaking, it will be captioned in real time on the Adobe Connect. This is very, very good.

I'm very excited because it will be able to bridge the gap of language when you speak. Sometimes, when I speak English, I speak too fast, or the different accents for our regions are very diverse. You can follow the presentation when it's being captioned at the same time.

I think this is a very good positive development and, hopefully, when we pilot this and test this, it will do very well and we can take this forward even further. Next slide, please.

So there are a few apart from the three focus areas. Just looking forward, we have a number of pillars where we will continue to work with each other.

The first is on the top-left box, which is FY17 Special Community request. The APAC GSE team (the Global Stakeholder Engagement team) is facilitating conversation, for example, during this week with the ISC (the Internet Society of China) and APRALO leadership to discuss greater participation from China.

Other areas are like the APAC Hub. We regularly feature APRALO and APRALO APAC Hub Webinar Series as part of the APAC newsletter.

I think we can even do more. When the APRALO, your activities in the region, do share with us and we will re-package it to profile it

in the newsletter. I'm doing it quite regularly now. If I see you at a regional event, we will tweet about our engagements.

For example, when we were in APRICOT, I was very excited and tweeted about Maureen being the first lady Board member. Yes, so it's very good.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Jia-Rong, two seconds. I would like to welcome Edmon Chung. I would like to tell that this is really an innovation in any RALO that one of the RALO members, RALO leaders, had been invited and had been asked to join our regional partners as a Board member, and I thank Edmon for this initiative.

I also would like to tell that Maureen's candidacy was supported by APNIC, as well, so we have three main partners in the region, and two of them supported Maureen, which is really a great support for APRALO, too. Congratulations, Maureen.

JIA-RONG LOW: Thank you. Thank you so much. I'm very proud of being part of this, so do stop me if I get too carried away and too excited about this collaboration.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No way.

JIA-RONG LOW: Good. The next pillar is also on APAC Hub will have the opportunity to work closer with APRALO on ICANN readouts in the upcoming Asia Pacific Regional IGF. I will talk about this more in the next slide, and we will continue to share the engagement activities the APAC GSE team has so that we can continue to find ways that we can collaborate. Next slide, please.

This is the last slide. I'm very excited about this one because apart from many other things, Siranush mentioned that here in the APAC region we want to be a model for the world, and we have in many areas.

Apart from all those other items, the ICANN readout sessions have been facilitated through community partners. We have done this in Japan, in China, and we hope to do this all over the region. It is working with local stakeholder partners who bring in ICANN meeting discussions after the ICANN meeting.

For example, after this week, two or three weeks later, they will digest the information, re-package it, bring it back to their community, and then share some key points that were

discussed in their own local language because of their own country.

Now, within the region, we can do this, as well. So we came up with this idea of why don't we do it at the next Asia Pacific Regional IGF that is happening in Taipei? This is in late July. It will time very well with the second ICANN meeting of this year, which will be happening in June, so we know it's not going to be in Panama. There'll be an announcement of where it will be.

But nevertheless, it will not be in the Asia Pacific region, so we can work together, attending the ICANN meeting, then take key takeaways from the ICANN meeting and bring it to our region and share it with our stakeholders there.

I'm very excited about this, and we've gotten in principle agreement to collaborate for a session, so here it is exactly from the APAC Hub. Through Kelvin's help, we have put up a session as a workshop during the APR IGF to do it as an ICANN readout. It's entitled "For the Community, By the Community Towards a Sustainable Model for Community Outreach." So the short of it is really it will be an ICANN readout but led by community members.

This morning, I was at the fellowship welcome. I always say that the best spokespeople really are our community. Our staff, we

try our best to facilitate, but it's your interactions with your communities that really get people involved, and that's really the key spirit behind an initiative like this.

So, hopefully, our proposal gets accepted. Definitely, I think it will, so then we can take this forward and we will continue to hopefully work together. From staff, we will facilitate by being able to provide information on what are some of the key highlights that were discussed, help to package some of the presentations, and work with you, as well. We hope that from the region, they will be able to really feel that our stakeholders, especially from APRALO leadership, is bringing ICANN to the world, bringing ICANN to our region.

I'm really looking forward to this initiative, and I hope that this can be a model for the region and for other At-Large structures, as well, so we hope to be able to do that. With that, I will close on my update. Thank you very much.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Jia-Rong. Thank you very much, and welcome again to the board with us.

I would just like to add that for Asia and IGF, we got the invitation from APAC Hub for Satish and Maureen to be a part of this workshop, and we are really very happy that we can bring

the community perspective to the region. Just for the record, Satish is on his way to Marrakesh, so he sends his apologies for being apart from this monthly meeting today.

I also would like to add that last year, we put a paper, a strategy, for APRALO for the whole 2016, and we are following the strategy, which has the key priorities for APRALO and APAC Hub. The process is that the strategy is being approved by APAC Hub as our leading partner in the region, and I assume that we will be doing the same for FY17 to put the key areas and activities on paper and trying to follow up with what we envisage to do.

Thank you once again. Yes, Maureen, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Ariel, can you just go back a few couple of slides to the one about the webinars? It's got the timeline. Yeah, that one.

Jia-Rong, one of the things that we've been trying to do – and I think I've mentioned it to you to do with the capacity building – was to look at how we can actually make some of those webinars a little bit more sustainable so that people can actually view it.

We're looking at e-books or something similar in a way that isn't just people sitting there listening to a recording. An e-book could

actually include other aspects of the presentation that's given on the webinar, but that people will know that the webinar's been held, who took it, and we want to put it onto the website.

Will you have your own webpage?

JIA-RONG LOW:

From ICANN, we have been working on having regional pages. But this project is in the longer term because we were cleaning up the ICANN website, so it will take some time before that happens.

In the meantime, what we've been doing is trying to leverage on the community wiki as much as possible, make that a repository of information, and when the time is ready for us to have regional pages, then we can actually transport that into something that's much easier to read, easier to digest. So for now this is, I would say, a work in progress in the longer term.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Just following on from that, we have actually produced a couple of webinar e-books, and so we could continue to add to that resource and give that to Ariel to put it into some sort of resource page for us.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: That's a good idea, Maureen. As far as I know, we have already elaborated two e-books and they are available for the region, as well. They are very important resources for the ALSes, and I think we should continue that approach.

Jia-Rong mentioned about captioning a piloting phase, and this is the project which APRALO volunteered to join among three other RALOs. It's one of the three other RALOs who suggested and agreed to test this pilot in our region, and I think it will be really very helpful.

The first captioning will be during the March webinar, so I invite all of you to join this webinar on universal acceptance. The topic will be on that. And as you also know, all the webinar's information is available in the wiki space, so please if you have challenges to join the webinar, go later to the wiki space and try to download and hear the records and read the transcripts for that.

With that, once again, thank you very much. I would like to move to another topic in our agenda, which is FY17 budget request. I welcome Heidi joining us.

Every year in February, we are submitting requests on behalf of any RALO. I would like to thank three ALSes, ISOC Palestine, ISOC Bangladesh, and ISOC Delhi, and TRV for submitting their

requests together along with two other requests from APRALO leadership.

I'll just give the floor to Heidi to talk a little bit about what is the process and how we are going to move forward with this. Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you and good morning, everyone. I'm going to give you an overview of the FY17 requests from all of At-Large. We'll go through this page. Then I'm going to tell a little bit about the next steps, and then I'll hand it over to Jia-Rong to talk about some possible collaboration with APRALO and the APAC Hub.

This is a process for community ACs and SOs to be able to submit requests for activities that are above or not within the core budget – except for travel. There is a request now not to have just simply travel support as part of these requests.

The ALAC works through the Finance and Budget Subcommittee of the ALAC, and this year there were 20 requests. Several from the overall ALAC, and then there were several from each of the five regional At-Large organizations, so I'm just going to highlight several of them if that's okay, Siranush.

For the ALAC, they submitted additional requests. The first ones were this past year, and that was for a strategy session at the ICANN 54 meeting and then also at ICANN 55. Basically, that was for an extra day, Saturday. They're requesting that again for 57 and 58, and I feel very positive about that one.

The next one is for a development session for the ALAC, and what that one is – thank you, Ariel – that is again, for the ALAC, it's on the last day of the Meeting C, which under the new meeting strategy is going to be the annual general meeting in the autumn. That is for the ALAC to have an external facilitator lead a team building exercise, and that was very successful in Dublin.

Then moving on, this is an At-Large request for captioning, and that was a very successful project that is for this year. That is to allow up to nine At-Large meetings to have captioning. That is where in the Adobe Connect room that we use, you can actually see what is being said, and that is for the people who might have issues of listening to the actual call. This addition, this request is to add to continue with that project, expand the project in terms of numbers as well as languages into French and Spanish.

There was also a request by the RALOs. This is the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement for a request for all of the RALOs to have funding for local activities, including

printing, promotional activities, etc. So that's a request that all of the RALOs have put in.

I'll just skip some of them that are not that relevant for APRALO. Moving on to the RALO ones, let's just move down to APRALOs. I'm sure that's what's on your mind.

Jia-Rong, just let me know when you'd like to take over. I'll just highlight what these are. Okay, so they were really well thought out.

The first one is a visit to China by a number of members of the APRALO leadership team plus regional partners if available. This was for actually a trip to speak with members of the ISC in Beijing. Jia-Rong, do you want to take that one, or do you want me to update what's actually going on with that one?

JIA-RONG LOW:

Yeah, so I mentioned just now when I was updating that we are facilitating a meeting with ISC this week, then we will talk about how to take things forward going from there, so that's the current update.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Jia-Rong. I think that will be a great opportunity for the leadership to have some good discussions with that ISC leadership, which is the latest ALS in APRALO.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Heidi, just to add what was initially the reason. This was one of the unique ALSes joining to At-Large ever with the content and with the size of the organization. We decided to learn more about the activities and where APRALAO and APAC Hub can really bring forward the activities in the region and extend outreach in China to have more participation from that region. So initially, the purpose of this request was that in our mind.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you for that. I think that we can move that forward in some manner. I'm quite confident.

Okay, so the next one was for an APRALO leadership outreach at the 11th annual IGF meeting, which is tentatively scheduled for Mexico City. This one is pretty much an annual submission. This is for a number of people. I think you reduced it to three, I believe, to go to the IGF to work on panels and to do some outreach. That will be dependent for one thing. If that request is accepted, it will be dependent on the panels being approved by

the [MAG] for participation at the IGF. So I'm not sure if I want to comment on it. That's the first step for sure.

The next one is for a showcase for local APRALO activities at APNIC 42 to be held in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and I'm going to hand that one over to Jia-Rong.

JIA-RONG LOW:

Actually, I have two that I am seeing that's on my list. The Bangladesh one is one of them, and there's another one in India. I think that's probably somewhere below, but these are definitely areas we can consider and we can think of how we can work together really to showcase our activities and how we can bring, not only just showcasing, but being able to let people know more about what are some of the activities and get them to participate with us in the longer term going forward, as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Jia-Rong. So again, there might be a consideration if that one is not approved for CROPP funding. That is the ICANN program that allows for regional travel, as well, so that's something. But also, if there is a shift in meetings regions, then would there be a consideration of having a showcase at the ICANN meeting there? So something to think about. I'm not sure if you're focusing on the APNIC target audience.

The next one is for the ICANN workshops to support the Palestinian National IGF. That one, Jia-Rong, I don't think you can comment. That is another GSE regional vice president's area, so we'll have to get back to you on that. This is for the first meeting for a national IGF. What the ALAC request was was that request is covered for \$2,000, and then would want to have or would request GSC assistance with that, as well. That was what was submitted.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Just to add to that, the initial thought for us when we were discussing this application coming through was to support local initiatives. This is really very important, and especially for the areas where our intervention outreach is less and people need to know more about.

Also, the initiative came from ISOC Palestine. Nadira is here. The representative of this organization is here. We really want to support the activities on the local level and to increase the outreach activities on the local level in the community. I hope that this will get support from GSE also as one of the key components of local outreach.

Nadira, you want to say something?

NADIRA ALARAJ: Yeah, because this was my first experience and I kind of didn't know the process, what the requirement. Without the help of Maureen and Siranush and Ali, we couldn't formulate the proposal.

I'm just talking about the logistics first of all. It needs to be worked out. This needs to have some framework or some guidelines. Even I mentioned to Maureen, the guidelines she provided me could be an initial work to work on it and continue to be a resource for the community to see the many answers to so many questions instead of have so many correspondences back and forth. This is an important point.

Regarding the national IGF, I think I will appreciate your trust. It's important to have this initiative, but with our expected allocated budget, I'm thinking now just to stick up with the workshops alone with the allocated budget. That might also bring the Palestinian community to learn more about the ICANN.

In fact, from our first outreach, we know the people are not aware. They never heard, even from people in the IT sector. It's important because we participated in the national Expotech in Palestine. We had a booth, and people were asking, "What is it?" It's important to see what's the work of ICANN and exactly what's the task of the At-Large structures.

We are kind of moving forward, so I thought it was bringing a workshop. If we could manage to conduct the IGF, it will be very affective, as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, very much, Siranush. All of the APRALO requests were very strong, and I really appreciate it. The FBSC was appreciative that where there were questions that there was very rapid and full response for additional information, and that's all posted on this workspace.

First off, they were strong to begin with in my view compared to in the past – not APRALOs, but just general requests in the past, and then the response for additional information was really outstanding.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Heidi. We are learning.

HEIDI ULLRICH: On this one, again, and as the other ones, the following one then was for a support to the first Indian school on Internet governance. Do you want to comment on that one, Jia-Rong?
No.

ALI ALMESHAL: Just a comment on the Palestine request. Last night, I had a casual discussion with [Baher], and I think we need just to follow up that one either with you Heidi and with the APRALO team. Maybe we can reach an agreement on something. I did not get either positive or negative things from him, but I was discussing that. He's aware of it, and I think he's open to more discussion on that. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That was the final request by APRALO, so the next step in the process is that now the internal review group is taking a look at these. I've had the chance to speak to them, explain, advocate for APRALO. I'm quite positive on their next steps.

So then it goes to another. It will step up internally, and then it will go to the Board, so I would expect official responses to be sometime in April/May. Again, what's going to be the next step is that on Tuesday, the ALAC and At-Large members will be speaking with the GSE team. The regional vice presidents are aware of all of these requests, and they will address the issue of collaboration.

I think that that's where we're trying to do is rather than submitting these types of requests, that might be more in the area of a GSE RALO collaboration. That might be a way forward.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Heidi. This is really very important to hear that.

We put a lot of time and really take it seriously on behalf of APRALO leadership for all the requests submitted, and you could see that follow-up questions also were in place for stating the reason for each and every request. I really put a lot of importance of partnership between GSE team here because all the requests, initially, the highlight is outreach and information sharing and active participation, which is one of the key challenges we usually face.

So, yes, there should be a partnership and as fruitful the partnership will be in place as much we will gain out of all this support.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Jia-Rong, any last words on that?

JIA-RONG LOW:

Well, the requests that come in, I've seen them, and I think the key is really going back to the basics just as Siranush had mentioned about outreach, about increasing participation. From the GSE perspective, we are always there to support, so being able to even think about how we tailor the outreach activity – who is the target group, do we need to tweak it, once we tweak it, which other partners can we bring in locally – these are areas that we can bring in. We can help for sure.

For example, in the request for Bangladesh and Dhaka, there's an APNIC focus, but we can bring in another partner, maybe from ISOC, and focus more on the users from there. So that's one way we can redirect our focus, and that will give us a very strong engagement in terms of who to target and how do we do it.

Likewise, for India, as well. These are areas that definitely from the APAC Hub we are very keen to support, so you definitely have our support in this regard.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you, and I think that it's very important also the support for the promotional items materials, which we are getting from the staff is really important to be on place, so we can also share

all those materials to be disseminated to participants like we did during APRICOT. Liana?

LIANA GALSTYAN:

I also want to stress how important is all of these requests coming from the ALSes in regard that all of the other ALSes who did not apply to this, they can know from the results of this first thing so that for the next year, they can apply for the same thing.

For example, for me, I'm seeing the first Indian school on Internet governance. I'm really very interested to have such an Internet governance school in Armenia, and I'm kind of thinking in a [roar] in my mind.

So if I will see that this is really supported from the help from ICANN, this is a great opportunity for us to have the same thing in different countries, so this is really very important. I wanted to say that. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thanks, Liana. Yes, this is the first try with ALSes to submit these proposals, as I've said, and I know I have talked with different ALSes who also were thinking about submission. During the discussions, I told them that this is really a serious step to think about, so we will be learning also out of this process during this year, and I will welcome more for the next years. Yes, Nadira.

NADIRA ALARAJ: I just wanted to ask because of the regional level of the future and especially asking Heidi. I was in contact with our colleagues from the [inaudible] if we are possible to do a joint activity. But the problem then is I told her since we are not aware about if it's possible for travel [inaudible], let's forget and let's focus on our countries.

Maybe in the future, you can consider that. It's bringing also the region activities and it strengthens the connection in the region.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Cross regional collaboration. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not sure if we have that up yet, but the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement has created a wiki page where you can put in requests for materials. We have the APRALO trifold. You have business cards. ICANN has a lot of materials, and I can put up a link where it shows all of the outreach materials that are available for numerous topics. We can send those to you.

But what we do need is we need to have the event date, what the event is, what you'd like, what languages you'd like, and who

to send them to. I'll find that, Ariel, but that's something that we really would like to request.

How we're doing it right now is basically people are sending, just commenting, and asking us rather not in a way that we can manage it, or it's too rushed. So we'd like to have this where you can give us in advance a request for that. That would be useful to do. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Heidi. I think we will make sure that whenever the event is there and the planning is there that someone is going or someone will be doing something, we will send the request in advance to have all these documents in place. Save, please.

SAVE VOCEA: I just wanted to ask a question. If this list is the exhaustive list now? Is it final? Okay, because I didn't see any initiative on the pacINET. That's an annual event in the Pacific where all our groups come together. Should we have had a request come through there through the ALS?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. For APRALO, no. There's one additional one from LACRALO that is not on this list, but no, that was it for APRALO.

SAVE VOCEA:

Also, I'm in discussions right now to hold a Pacific IGF in the Pacific around the September/October/November timeframe once that's confirmed. Since this is in FY17, maybe there could be a placeholder for that. I'm not sure how we do that, but it's really for the Pacific. It might be interesting for the five ALSes that are based in Oceania because they're close, they could go there.

It's an opportunity. It's a multi-stakeholder setting. I'm working with the government Regulatory Resource Center for the Pacific to hold this as an open multi-stakeholder event.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thanks, Save. We didn't receive any last requests or any request for funds, but I think we already have with your support, with Maureen's support, a strong presence in Pacific.

Just for all of you to know, yesterday, we received a new ALS application from Vanuatu, which is the great result of the outreach which was done during APRICOT in Pacific with the support of Save, so thank you all. Thank you, Save, for the great support. I think that this will be one of the strategy items put in our overall strategy to involve more Pacific Island activities and

the GSE to think about support for extending out outreach activities in Pacific Island. Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just a comment on that point with Vanuatu. Thank you very much. We also received, just a day later, another request from another applicant in Vienna. So with those two, if approved, At-Large will have 200 At-Large structures.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: By the way, out of these 200, 43 (including the Vanuatu one) we'll be 44th, and APRALO will be the biggest RALO among all of the five. So, yeah, congratulations to all of us.

Now, thank you, and I think we do not have any questions related to FY17 budget request, but we will come back to that discussion later again. I would like to move forward to another agenda item, which is ALS participation. You all know that this is really very important. We can do a lot of work, but if there is no interest, there is no participation, it doesn't make any sense, so the activities, the initiatives should come from ALSes, as well.

We have developed some kind of metrics and criteria for ALS participation. I'll give the floor later to Maureen to talk a little bit about this, but first, we have Pavan, our secretary, who is joining

us remotely, who has collected some data since 2014 (so for two years) to talk about this. Pavan, if you can join us remotely. Ariel, can we hear him?

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Yes, I'm here.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Oh, welcome, Pavan. The floor is yours.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Thank you very much. Okay, so just a quick update. I worked with Ariel a couple of days ago just to get the attendance list from the APRALO monthly calls, the ICANN APRALO meetings, and also the seminars which we've had throughout the year. Ariel was kind enough to provide that to me quite quickly, and I just broke down the numbers.

For some of them, I'm just doing the attendance record. For some of them, it's hard to really give a percentage because either they didn't join from that time in early 2014. They joined within that time period until 2016, so I put that as N/A for moment. But the others, I've given them a percentage.

Overall, I would say that with the 43 number of ALSes, we have probably half of them who have an attendance of close to 50% or more, which is really promising for joining the calls on APRALO, as well.

What I'm going to do for the coming year, for 2016 and 2017, not only will I count the monthly calls and also the seminars and stuff, I will also add a metrics about the e-mails. So how many e-mails go out about, for example, a new ALS joining or some matters, and how is the response of the ALSes over there, as well, and try to incorporate that into the metrics, as well.

As I mentioned to Siranush today morning by e-mail, one of my recommendations would be to have all the ALSes have an attendance of close to 60% or more. This, I think, can be achieved because there are monthly calls, there are seminars, responses to e-mail, and so on, so I think it can be achieved, 60% for the year. So from April 2016 all the way until 2017, that would be the goal that we set. Each ALS that if they reach 60% attendance, and then that would be one of the criteria, I would say, so that's something I'm working on.

Now, I've just done the attendance for the monthly calls and also the seminars, so I'll add it for the e-mails and have it all for you by probably this week or early next week. For the ones going forward, maybe I could draft something with Siranush, with

Maureen, and get the message out to ALSes that we expect them to have an attendance of 60% or more for this year. Also, in this e-mail, we could give the recommendations of the monthly calls, of the seminars, and also the e-mails on other ways they can participate, as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much, Pavan. This is really very important and helpful, and thanks for your support to putting all this together. We just have limited time, Maureen. Can you talk a little bit to the ALS criteria just for a couple of minutes?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Just very quickly, one of the things that we are doing at the moment is a review of At-Large structures. What I've actually put up on the screen at the moment are some of the things that we're actually looking at with regards to application criteria, first off, so that when people actually do apply to be an ALS, they're actually aware of what those expectations are with regards to qualifying as an ALS.

The key ones are that they must be self-funding and that ICANN does not fund ALSes to exist. So that when we're actually looking at criteria for applying for events, that's when they're sort of like again, it's looking at targeted audiences, etc. That

they must be not-for-profit and not having any governmental or any other political affiliation. That they consist of individual members rather than corporate bodies,

One of the things, too, that there's an expectation that could be part of the criteria is that there must be three contacts. Currently, at the moment, you're asked to give a contact. One of the things that we're finding is that a lot of ALSes drop off. We attempt to locate that person who is the contact and can't find anything, so we have this ALS in limbo for a while. They're actually asking for three contacts, so at least we can find that one of them might work just to find out how active the ALS may want to be.

Also that there was maybe an expectation that applications must include the minutes of the meeting that actually endorses the application. I think that in a lot of organizations that you join, this is normally an expectation, so that there is a sustainable feature of an ALS's involvement is that it has been formalized by the leadership of the organization.

There have been times when ALSes have joined because there's been some very keen people within the organization. But in fact, the leadership have been unaware that they are actually members of ICANN.

That connection between ICANN and the organization must be obvious, so that if you've got a website or some other means of demonstrating that you actually are involved in ICANN and that there is some reporting. That reporting that you put on your website can be used as evidence of your engagement with ICANN anyway, so that's quite important.

Can we just go to the next one? It's just to look at expectations. This is what Pavan was actually talking about. This is looking at your organization's engagement with ICANN.

These expectations are actually incorporated into the metrics, so it's to do with how you disseminate information about APRALO and ICANN within your community, how you actually participate actively in the meetings, which is what Pavan was talking about, how you actively participate in working group or other activities to do with At-Large of the ALAC, and also that feedback. This is where your website and other sorts of things can be important for demonstrating that.

Okay, so I think I'll finish there.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Maureen. In addition to what you have said, the information also can come through the APRALO outreach calendar, which we used actively during the previous couple of

months, so I would encourage to continue using this calendar. This calendar gives us also the overview of what kind of activities are planned on local level, and this will be helpful also for GSE team to know in advance where we can bring our participation and our support to those activities.

So thank you very much, and this is really very important topic across RALO. We just don't want to have the numbers of ALSes put in place and saying, “Okay, we are big. We are great.”

We want also to be helpful for those ALSes and to have that content-wise active participation from our ALSes to benefit from their participation in ICANN and being a part of At-Large.

Thank you, Pavan, and thank you, Maureen, for this, and we will continue discussions on this aspect. We'll go back again and again to this topic.

Just moving to another agenda item just briefly, I would like to mention the recent APRALO leadership participation in APRICOT. This was one of the key events on a regional level, and the report came on Monday. It was posted in our wiki monthly space. If we can put this on the screen, Ariel, that would be great.

We have tried to cover in our report all the important aspects which we have done during APRICOT. We met with our regional partners there, which is really very important. By the way, we

got a lot of support from our regional partners, which made possible our participation. APNIC, APTLD, and .asia covered also some part of our participation from a financial point of view, which is really very important for us having the limited resources together from ICANN.

Our submission was done through CROPP budget, but we almost had the full team there, except Holly, who couldn't join us. Kaili was funded through his own sources, .asia supported our participation in visiting the expo sites and also for other participation fees for Kaili and Maureen. APNIC supported us in to some way to be a part of the APNIC AP Stars meeting, so we had a chance to introduce ourselves to AP Stars there. APTLD supported for myself, for ISOC Armenia participation for some of the additional days to be there.

For the first time, we had the opportunity from APRALO to do an official presentation during an APTLD meeting where we could introduce ourselves, where we could bring to the point what we are doing, how many ALSes are there, what are they doing, and how important to be a part of these discussions. During the AP Stars Meeting, APRALO also suggested to consider us not as just members only of the community but consider us as a separate organization, separate entity to become a part of this major set of organizations.

We also were happy for the first time ever, as we mentioned, to have Maureen as a Board in .asia. By the way, Maureen was assigned as a new Board member as well to chairing the next APNIC meeting in Dhaka, so Maureen will be chairing that. Yes, she will have a hard time this year with all her participation, but I think that her expertise in all these activities is really vital and important.

We also had the possibility to do a little bit of outreach there. We got the new ALS already from Vanuatu as I said, and we are expecting one more from Papua New Guinea, so we are covering more Pacific Islands there. We also had the chance to meet our GSE VP Jia-Rong there for the first time and had a chance just a little bit to discuss and bring discussion to Marrakesh, so this was important. Of course, our participation was to renew our connections with ALSes who were based in New Zealand, in Pacific Islands, [inaudible], and some other from the region.

So this is really important to get the support. As I said, it was through CROPP funding. The main participation was done through CROPP funding, but without our regional support, without our partners support in the region, it's not just participation. It's full of content there.

The report is posted in our web space, so please go and read it and comment wherever you would like us to add in our future

activities and what we can also bring to our ALSes when we are going to some event.

With that, I would like to thank everyone for their participation. I know we have limited time and I know there is another meeting. People are waiting for us to leave the room.

I wanted actually to give a couple of words to our NomCom representative, to give some updates, but unfortunately, we don't have time for that. But there will be an open forum conducted by NomCom members, so there will be an update coming from NomCom. I would encourage you to go and participate to that open forum and to learn how many applicants are from Asia Pacific there.

Just know that for this year, we don't have the slot for Asia Pacific for At-Large. But the next year, we will have the slot for Asia Pacific, so this will be the place for us to think about that and to think about candidates and recommendations for the next year. It will encourage our participation to learn more, so visit NomCom's open form.

With that, I would like to thank, once again, Jia-Rong, staff, our technical guys for their support, and this meeting is adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]