
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Welcome, everyone, to the APRALO ROP Review Working Group meeting on Thursday, 20 February 2014 at 6:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Karaitiana Taiuru, Siranush Vardanyan, Maureen Hilyard, Gunela Astbrink, and Ali AlMeshal. We have apologies from Olivier Crépin-Leblond. And from staff today, we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen.

May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Julia. I am sitting outside, so all background noise I will not apologize for. It's too beautiful a day for me to be locked up inside talking to you.

Let's go straight to the review of any outstanding action items. It's rather delightful to see so many boxes ticked. I don't think we need to discuss the ones that have got the clearly done tick box there, but we do have one – which is #5 – which was issue regarding difficulties obtaining information on the wiki during the Buenos Aires meeting.

Matt was going to meet with Holly, Maureen, I assume that should mean Siranush as opposed to some other derivation of her name, myself, Gunela, and the APRALO leadership to review the APRALO wiki page.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I don't believe this has been done. Maybe it was done without me, in which case I shall just sulk. But now Matt, of course, has moved on to another portfolio. And I just wondered, Silvia, could you work out who will pick up on this particular matter.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Happy to leave it open, but I think we need to assign it to someone.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Actually, Matt did review the difficulties that they had. I remember seeing him sitting with Holly and I think Maureen at least also.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: But at least Holly, reviewing the wiki, so I think he completed this action item. But if there are any questions, if anyone has further questions, Ariel is the new staff member and she is being trained at the moment. She is very good with technological tools, and I'm sure she will be able to help any member from APRALO that needs more wiki training.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Silvia. I don't think it's us that need training. I think it was the backend and general way it was badly designed that was the issue. So Ariel will also need to assist us in that.

I think Maureen, and perhaps if she was part of the subgroup that actually completed this, she'd be happy to tell us about it. Over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I've had my hand up, Cheryl. Yes, Matt and I finally did find a space of about ten minutes in Buenos Aires where we sat together and just organized the table of contents on the left-hand side of the APRALO page. And if you have a look – is everyone connected to the meeting page? There's a wiki page.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I hope so. Let's talk through it anyway. Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: What we did, Holly and I and Siranush had actually spoken about the difficulties of accessing different parts of our pages. And the APRALO one was a really good place to start because there weren't as many.

But the very first thing that we did was just organize it into subsections of information. One of the things too was the regional meetings.

The first one I've actually got there is "Current Issues." In Current Issues was where I felt it was important to put a one-stop-shop directory of

the things that were happening during the month that ALSes could access for APRALO meetings and things. Then we went into “Regional Leaders.” So, I mean, we’re actually organizing it in a way.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay. That’s good. More importantly, it means we can tick it off our particular set of AIs. I am wondering slightly perhaps our Rules of Procedure was caught up in this, and this is looking back into some of those sections that started AIs.

I would actually have thought that this probably belongs in a higher order regional action item because what you’ve done is a great amount of very important hierarchy reorganization for the whole of the site, not just for ourselves. But we’ve benefited from it, so we’ll tick it off in our action items but, Silvia, you might want to find perhaps a better home to duplicate it in.

Maureen, I’m going to stop you there and go to Gunela because I saw her hand go up during this conversation. Over to you, Gunela.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Yes, thanks, Cheryl. Yes, I remember that this item came up when KT had difficulty in finding particular documents, and I raised the issue of a hierarchical order of particular information in the wiki – certainly with APRALO but overall. It is certainly a larger issue than this particular working group.

What I’d like to see in a broader group is to work on setting up parameters for how the headings, the subheadings, and sub-

subheadings are constructed and also to have a type of guidelines document, so for anyone who is setting up documents to be aware of where they put them in the headings hierarchy so things don't get lost as easily as I think can easily happen now.

So certainly beyond this working group, that's something maybe we can discuss a little bit in APRALO and further up. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I think that's very valuable. Thank you. I must say that, Gunela, you've echoed something that I've now heard – it's a little bit like yelling into a valley – I've heard over the last five years at least with this current system we've got. And in fact, it was an even worse issue with the Socialtext that we used to use as our wiki.

But hopefully, with Ariel we can raise it for our region, and I think it's something that actually extends beyond our region, of course, and to the whole of the At-Large wiki spaces. Part of it's historical; part of it's – not being so totally tongue-in-cheek when I say – hysterical. And all of it affects the ability to predict and access materials.

So let's talk to Olivier at our next regional meeting and see what we can do and make sure there's a nexus with our accessibility working group as well because that would make sense, to me at least.

So, Silvia, while that's an action item, it's not specific to this working group. We do have Siranush on the call, so as long as Siranush doesn't lose sight of this so it can go to the larger regional leadership, but sincerely there's a few of us who are very interested in getting a good

start at **[inaudible]**, and I'm quite sure Maureen will be part of that as well.

Okay, while we've been talking, I've gone down now to the last box – which if you refresh your meeting pages, you will see is now ticked as well – which was under the listing “Continuing Matters.” There's a note with some more depth and color have needed to be added to some of these to make it clearer.

One of these continuing issues – and we need to simply start the conversation because we need the community as a whole in our region to complete the conversation – is to look at some of the issues on individual membership in APRALO. I want to speak to that in another work item in a minute.

And also, discussion on the definition of members and how we manage individual members so that things such as vote ramifications and methodologies are not turned into a nightmare. This is a very important part, of course as we all recognize, of our new rules.

The meeting immediately after the Buenos Aires meeting in December, unfortunately, was not arranged. And, unfortunately, we haven't served with that as a group as much as I'd like to have. But I'm starting to put together something that I hope will be a beginning point for our deliberations.

Okay, well, now let's see what sort of input we get from any of the work team activities that have gone on. Again, I'll probably go to Maureen first because a lot of what she was doing with our ALAC Rules of Procedure have ramifications for us.

One of the things she was talking about before we began the call – and this is where you can bring this up, Maureen – is the venue of looking at what the community might want as metrics for our serving ALAC members and see where they have nexus with our own rules and perhaps what we can be expecting of our other leaders.

Over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. Yes, I think that in the ALAC group we've basically been having some considerable conversations with other RALOs in finding out what their expectations are for the ALAC members. Because it is based on the fact that ALAC members are actually elected by the ALSes. We're assuming that they elect people that they believe will perform appropriately on their behalf in the decision-making that they're involved in.

So with the metrics and the metrics are sort of like there's an expectation of metrics for the performance of ALAC members within the ALAC Rules of Procedure anyway, so what we're trying to do was try to find some way that RALO itself was an appropriate means of measuring performance.

KT was one of my responders to the specific query, which thank you very much, KT. But I think the general feeling varied from EURALO who was sort of like "we're really not very keen on ALSes being involved at that level of input into the conversations" to there's been quite a lot of work that's been going on in the NARALO group and Garth and Glenn have really taken the issue to their meetings.

What we've done is we've tried to give some sense of balance and some introductory process that we might be able to take to Singapore. Dev and I and the little team that we've been working with at the moment have said we're going to put forward an option where there is an attendance checklist basically, and it's a quantitative evaluation of an ALAC member's contribution to the process, the ALAC system. As well as that we're also going to propose that there is some sort of a self-accountability thing.

There weren't any takers for ALAC members filling in a table or anything like that. I mean, it was only really put in there as a recommendation that hopefully we'd get some feedback, and we got considerable feedback from LACRALO, I must admit, and NARALO. But we were just expecting attendance checks, attendance evaluation, and probably a brief report from each ALAC member for their RALO meeting or for after an ALAC meeting.

But that's our general thing, but we haven't had anything specifically from APRALO, and perhaps if we can propose those at our next APRALO meeting, of course, but not **[inaudible]**. But should we include some sort of statement about metrics or performance of ALAC members within that? I'm not quite sure. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Go ahead, Ali or KT, whoever was first. I think, was it KT's hand who went up first?

ALI ALMESHAL: I did first.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, go ahead then.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay, then. Maureen, if I understand you right, you said the metrics that you have come up with from the recommendations and feedback from the ALSes and the others is attendance sheets and a report. Please, correct me first before I proceed.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Have you checked out the workspace, or would you like me to give you the link for the workspace so you can actually see the feedback, Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes. Yes, please, if you don't mind because I'm not so sure, to be honest. I haven't seen the link, but the point I have raised a discussion during the metrics discussions from an e-mail. I have raised maybe a couple of suggestions there, like attendance checklist is fine in a way that you can record the participation or their attendance in meetings either in a conference or face-to-face.

But on the other hand, I'm very much worried that for the ALAC leaders, their measurements or evaluations go on project-based and participation-based. But participation is not the core because everybody

can participate and is a part of this group or that group, but what is the deliverable out of him? What is the result of that participation?

So I was under the direction of these ALAC members, they should be always on the top of any assignments or working group, and this can be considered as an achievement. Plus also I have recommended something of having them have a monthly call or a follow-up call with the ALSes one-to-one basis to understand and get them more engaged.

These are things that we can get the ALAC members involved and engaged without having them that are you there or you are not there. When you attend, you have to register, and so on and so forth. So I think by having them on a project-based, achievement-based, that will be much better and that's more practical. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Ali. Now, it's KT. Over to you, KT.

KARAITIANA TAIURU: I think if our region hasn't contributed enough or anything worthwhile to date, I'd personally like to see it added to the agenda and perhaps individual targeted e-mails to the different ALSes in between to try and give some thought and maybe some conversation going prior to the next meeting. Just my personal observations.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, thank you, gentlemen. Maureen, you have your hand up. I'm sure you have an interesting right to reply here, my dear.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. No, I just wanted just to respond to Ali because Ali's contribution, I must admit, was very focal when we were actually putting our ideas together because we also agreed that it really had to be on how were people contributing. How would we know?

Because every single ALAC member is on a whole...with everything that's going on in ICANN, they're on a whole lot of At-Large working groups – ALAC, APRALO, and it's sort of like there's a whole host of them. So trying to keep tabs on what each ALAC member was doing really required their involvement and their evaluation of it.

But when we **[inaudible]** of that, we were finding that our members were saying, "Why do we have to do this? Why are you making us do it?" And for me, it's a personal accountability thing; but for these guys, they were saying, "We're already involved in all these other things. This is just something extra, and we don't want it."

So this is the reason we honed it right down to say, "Okay, attendance we'll do as we always do." There was an attendance metric that's in place at the moment. We're going to fine-tune it a little bit, make it **[inaudible]**.

And then that won't be done by the ALAC member, but what we are asking the ALAC member is – and it was something that Olivier brought up at the last meeting anyway – is that if each ALAC member could record a monthly report or some sort of report that actually could be used by the RALO, could be used by ALAC, could be used by anyone very

similar to liaison members who actually have to provide a report anyway.

But it just records what they're involved in, what has been on top for them for being a contribution towards the ALAC and representing their RALO. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. And if you could see me, not only am I typing and trying to e-mail Julia and do some other things, I'm – metaphorically, at least – standing up and yelling, "Yay, team," because I've think the approach here that you've all taken is extremely important.

What we can do, however, is continue perhaps by leading with good example. We have done our very best to try and ensure that there is as high-as-acceptably-possible by all the region standard of metrics and reporting incumbent on the members of the ALAC under their existing Rules of Procedure.

I want to particularly mark out Maureen and the contributions that she gathered from not only us but all of the regions as a vital part of that.

But we have led by example before, and we can continue to do so again. So there is no reason why we cannot do some field testing of some of the things that we believe would be a good idea. But since we did not get the global consensus, we could run them within our region and be satisfied either to rest on our laurels or reintroduce them later as a tested and working pilot.

I'd like to point out to all of you because I don't believe anyone but KT on this call was around in the more exciting and, I would suggest, **[inaudible]** days at the beginning of our organization as a regional At-Large organization for Asia-Pacific.

But three years I should think – correct me if I'm wrong, KT – into our official functioning as a region and on the first anniversary of my second term of appointment to the ALAC, we did our own version of the 360 review.

Now, this 360 review involved myself and the other then-appointed representative of our region by the RALO to the ALAC sitting in the center of a large square – not circle, it should have been a circle, I suppose – of this where all present ALS members and other interested parties sat. And we were grilled, questioned, and had to justify our continued existence as their representatives.

Now that's perhaps a little more powerful an experience than most volunteers would submit themselves to. But we've been out there before, and there's no reason per that example – and I hope you enjoyed me sharing it with you – that we can't be out there again with some extraordinarily high standards.

Now, to that end, is there any other work team activity or update that needs to be reported before I make a little presentation?

Okay, not seeing anyone or hearing anyone saying they want to do that. Julia, if you would be so kind now as to put up that full working document that I sent you, which is a draft.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, for whatever reason – probably December and the Lunar New Year – we didn't meet in December. We should have, we intended to, but it just didn't happen. And of course, January was written off as well. So work that would have been done by duly authorized sub-teams just had fallen through the cracks. So it falls upon, I believe, the chair or the leader in these times to step up and just do a few of the hard yards.

So what I've done – and the cover sheet you're looking at if you're in the Adobe Connect room now – is put together a draft. And it's not quite finished being beautified, but I do want you to look at the text. And I'll send it to the list and also have it **[inaudible]** up on the wiki for your comment and deliberations.

So do look at the text, not the formatting. There's a bright yellow highlighted part about halfway through the document which says I stopped having time before this call to do the formatting. So the numbering is all wrong and that sort of thing from there on, but you should look at the text and start making comments and contributions on the text.

Julia, I don't know whether you want to have – if I start taking control of this document, I'll probably break my Adobe Connect room. But if you could move on to the next page so we can just have a look at the following page.

There will be a table of contents on this first page. Julia will now move to, hopefully, the next page. Can you move it forward? Unless we all

have our own control, and I don't seem to. She's got all the magic controls.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Cheryl? I think the page for you, if you want to scroll the page, you can do it as you're host now. Can you try that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, I do understand that, Julia. But because I work off the mobile app, that tends to break things.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Oh, sure. Okay, no problem. I can do that for you then.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm a little hesitant to break things. I just wanted to show that at the beginning – and this is modeled unreservedly and unashamedly. We had stolen this general layout and, indeed, a good amount of the words for this draft directly from the ALAC Rules of Procedure. Because after all, many of us worked so hard on them, I figured we may as well make good use of them. But I've made them relevant to our region.

So there is the usual definitions. Julia, if you can go on to about page four or five now. After the inevitable tome of defined terms, I followed an identical layout in the four parts as you're well familiar with for the ALAC Rules of Procedure.

I would like to propose to you that whilst you are encouraged to be as brutal as you like with the wording and what needs to be culled, cut, or modified, I would strongly encourage all of us to actually follow a similar design and layout.

So, Julia, if you can just pop across, I don't know, pick any random page in the first ten. It really doesn't matter. That you could stick with something that has great matchability in design and outline to the ordinary ALAC Rules of Procedure. I think the more variation there are in these things, the more likelihood there is for confusion.

I believe that I have not missed anything. I would suggest – and I will send this today. I'll send it as a Word document to you all as well. I think I possibly have picked up too much from the ALAC Rules of Procedure, but at least it's something so between now and Singapore – and we need to get it done at least ten days before we go to Singapore.

We need to get this polished up. We need to get it in a form that we can send out to our wider regional list and have it open for discussion in a segment during Singapore in face-to-face meetings. So that's the intention.

Maureen, I see your hand. Please, over to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. Yes, I was just, for example, looking at the section 3.8.3.1. It's under "Secretariat."

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Let's see if we can find it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Now, one of the things that was in our discussion very recently on the metrics was the role of the secretariat. I mean, I don't know what the cross-regional role is for secretariat, but for us because we're looking at us, one of the things it says here is "Responsible for recording meetings." And I was wondering what meetings they record because that's all done by the staff. And so we were looking at: do we need to look at what the secretariat's role is?

That's when we were talking about gathering metrics for our ALAC members, for example, that perhaps RALO secretariats could include in their job descriptions (if you can call it that) looking after the metrics for their three ALAC members – two ALAC members. Are they responsible for NomCom? No. Two ALAC members.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, let me respond to that particular point in your follow-up question first, Maureen. I altered the second part of that sentence to read "and performing administration functions as requested and agreed by" what is the shorthand for the Asia Pacific Leadership Team.

I'm not ashamed to say the beginning of that sentence is a total steal from the existing ALAC rules. So any issues we have with this are very easy to fix by changing that sentence any way we like.

In terms of metrics, for example, whilst I wouldn't suggest that the secretariat should be responsible for necessarily taking all the records of

attendance and metrics, etc. – because that would mean, in fact, they would have to attend all of the meetings that many of us attend, which seems a bit odd – they might be responsible for the effective curation of or some such terminology.

This is exactly what I want each of you to get your teeth into. I want you to grab the bits that interest you and rewrite them to reflect what you believe is what you've heard or what you've discussed and is likely to be a consensus will of our region. That's a perfect example.

The other thing, and I think I forgot the second part of what I was going to answer, which is just really sad. Maureen, please refresh my memory. What was the second thing you asked me? You made an observation just before I interrupted you. What was it?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Was it about performance? No? The performance metrics or anything like that? No? I'm sorry.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

That's alright. I'm sorry. I should have been more attentive. I heard a question I could answer, and I jumped in.

So yeah, basically, this is one of those places that we can talk in **[inaudible]**. You do need to remember that most secretariats in all other regions, I believe – I think we are the only region, but I may be mistaken with regard to Europe – their roles are very different to ours because they are an elected position that has travel funding. We don't do that. Our rules from the beginning have said we can appoint a

secretariat, and we happen to have chosen to. But we can pretty well make it anything we want.

So I would think that section 3.8.3.1 could be written to perhaps have more about outreach, more about ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of various recordkeeping that we want for metrics. Absolutely, just put pen to paper and rewrite it. That would be perfect.

So what I want you to do, there is an awful lot of words there and I'm not going to apologize for that because it's [inaudible]. If you see something that says "xxx" and is yellow highlighted, then that means I've already fiddled around so much with where things are in this document that the paragraphs and numbering is so badly damaged even I can't keep up with where the paragraphs might be and I was writing the darn thing.

But you'll also found little grayed-out areas, and they are likely to have references. Believe me, there will be very few references within the document that will work. We'll have to go through that before Singapore and also before [inaudible] for Singapore and make sure that's all neat and tidy.

But basically, it's the beginning of something that's a bit more than a skeleton, and I'm hoping that with this impetus we can all get onto this online and do some redrafting so that we have something ready for our members to discuss and, hopefully, deliberate when we go to the Singapore meeting

Now what I'd like to do is ask Julia. I did send you, Julia, some separate text which even while I've been on this call I've been editing this

document. So I've already made a modification to the document that you all have with you, and that's to do with what will be the new section 6.6 in the eventual document, which is talking about the individual members.

So, Julia, if you've been able to grab that text from the body of the e-mail I just sent you, it would be brilliant if you could have that put up. But if that's not possible, I can read it to the record.

Basically, what I've tried to do is – again I think this is, of course, a great compliment to other regions – but where I've seen something in another region that I think worthy, I've just very unashamedly said, "Thank you. We will steal that and make it our own."

So this section 6.6, which is thankfully on the screen – Julia, you are a godsend, I do appreciate you – is how I would see we should have our "unaffiliated members."

Earlier on in the document, you'll see I talk about At-Large Structures, and then later on we go into how those At-Large Structures are formed and how they can be certified or decertified, etc. and what our role in all of that is.

But I've also included – as NARALO has had from the very beginning – the ability to have what's called "unaffiliated individual members." And then I've taken how they manage the unaffiliated individual members, mainly because it's stood the test of time. I know other regions are working on methodologies for themselves, but I'd rather go with one that has stood the test of time.

And I've just made some wholesale cut-and-paste with removal of "NA" and replacement with "AP" to how they do it. So what they effectively do is they allow unaffiliated members to join. They are, by virtue of their joining, assigned to what could be considered as a ghost At-Large Structure.

In other words, it is a grouping of interested individuals just like you have in an At-Large Structure, which then appoints representatives who will cast votes if a vote is called for on their behalf and who will contribute to consensus development and decision making on their behalf.

I'm very keen to see us go down this way rather than some of the mechanisms that some of the other regions may have. Other regions already have highly complicated voting structures, and I want to avoid that at all costs.

We have also been the proudest region to do as much as we humanly can by consensus and not by vote. So I would also like to recommend to you that you keep that in mind as you go through this whole document.

I've left in quite detailed voting mechanisms in the new draft Rules of Procedure for the purposes of if we end up going to a vote or something, then it has already gone through a consensus-building exercise and we've failed to build consensus. And that, to me, means that we're likely to have more contention than if we were running a region which tended to vote on everything which we, of course, do not.

I've also written these rules in a way that will probably free us up from doing certain votes or more formal approaches to things because, in

fact, we never have to do it that way under our existing rules. So some of these rule sections will actually be bringing us more into line more obviously with the initial intent of our regional operational procedures.

So with that, and recognizing that I've spoken far too long, I don't intend to take us through a reading. But I am going to, when I wrap up this call, find a way with staff to properly attach this document – I might finish formatting it first – up to the wiki. So I would expect by this time tomorrow you will have a clean and far tidier copy, including the 6.6 in your hands and on the wiki.

And I would like you to get into it and help us create something that we can have out to our members and our leadership for consideration in enough time before Singapore.

Maureen, over to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. I had just a query about the unaffiliated individual. And so they don't have to belong to an ALS, which means are you saying that they still have a vote?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, let me see if I can help you through this process. Thanks for that question, Maureen. The grouping of unaffiliated individuals within the North American Regional At-Large Organization exercise a vote by as a unaffiliated group ascertaining two people, I believe, who will be their representatives.

Those representatives are expected to represent the view fairly of the unaffiliated individual members in any policy development or consensus-building work that they do. And that if a vote is required for anything, they cast a vote. So for example in the NARALO rules, before every regional general assembly, the unaffiliated individual members go through a process to select their representatives.

But because it's mutually exclusive to belong to an At-Large Structure and to be an unaffiliated individual member – because if you're doing that, then you'd be double-dipping – that does still need to be avoided.

Why we need to not get too concerned about our region and unaffiliated individual members is that each individual that is a certified and accepted by us unaffiliated individual member will be heard with absolute equity, as we always listen to all in our region.

So we have never had the approach that only a representative can speak at a meeting. We might have a speaking order where we go through representatives first, but we've always been – as we are consensus builders – we listen to anyone and everyone who brings something to the table.

So to some extent it's less important for us, Maureen, but if you need to vote, for example, the unaffiliated members of any region should have the right to influence the way a vote might be cast for a Seat 15 in the Board, and I wouldn't want to see them not be able to do that.

Does that help?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. I was just putting in a note on the chat. So what we're talking about is unaffiliated members operate at a regional level in the NARALO.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Absolutely. And they are required to be able to. Every regional At-Large organization as a result of the first ALAC review, one of the recommendations – and it has to be enacted and implemented – is for every Regional At-Large Organization to find a way for unaffiliated individuals to be actively engaged, so to open up for more than just organizations and structures which qualify as At-Large Structures.

So this is work we have to do. I was just keen on stealing the easiest way I could find to do it. And yes, Maureen, pen to paper. Make sure that's more clearly described in the beginning. As I say, that 6.6 I've literally just stolen it off NARALO and tweaked it to what would suit ourselves.

Okay, Gunela, over to you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thanks, Cheryl. I'm curious about examples of current unaffiliated individuals in NARALO and other RALOs because it's so common for people in this space to be affiliated with one organization or another or many organizations. So for someone to be unaffiliated, I'm just wondering what sort of people they are. And it would be just great to get some examples. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright. I'm happy to fill in a couple of blanks for you there, Gunela. I'll give you Eric Brunner-Williams, who is very active in a number of GNSO policy pieces of work and who from the very beginning has been an unaffiliated individual member of NARALO.

And I will give you a more recent – and by more recent, I just mean the last seven years or so because he was actively involved and still is actively engaged on behalf of the At-Large community – and that's Alan Greenberg.

Alan Greenberg became an unaffiliated member more recently but, of course, he came into that role by being an independent voice in ALAC as a Nominating Committee member. So he was not willing, able, or desiring to join any of the At-Large Structures within the RALO, but he was perfectly happy to become one of the unaffiliated individual members.

Does that help, Gunela? Great. Yes. So thank you from Gunela. Good. These are really important issues that we need to discuss and have clear in our own minds.

So perhaps what I can encourage you to do is not only make suggestions on text changes but also note any queries and questions on this document. And I suppose the easiest way to do that is in the comments section of the page we'll put it on.

But some of you who might want to do a more significant markup on it, if you are using a Word or similar style open-source document, if you'd be so kind as to make sure that your notes, annotations, and edits are clearly identified – in other words, things aren't deleted but

strikethrough and that your suggestions and anything you do has your own initials or your particular color or whatever.

Purple is my color. None of you are allowed to use that. I'll be doing edits back to you in purple, so hands off the purple. And the rest of you can fight over how you want to be identified, but I think it's important that we're able to collaborate and share on this document.

Can I ask: do you wish me to put it into a Google document format? I am able to do so, and I'm happy to do so if you are all happy using that tool as well. Okay. Gunela wants it in a doc. Okay, well, we'll do it alright. Okay, so I'll also send out a Google link as well.

And by fair means or foul, we need to bludgeon this new set of draft rules into something that is suitable for us to have at least out by the 8th of March. That is our deadline, ladies and gentlemen, for this document to be in some semblance of reasonable order. We need to put it out to our community on the 8th of March, and then we will have a small amount in Siranush's agenda during the Singapore meeting to discuss and deliberate further.

I'd be very keen now to see if any of you have any questions about the Singapore meeting later in March. We have, I believe, a plan for the Wednesday morning during the Singapore meeting for APRALO to have a face-to-face meeting which will also have teleconference ability, and that will be the monthly meeting for March.

But I see Silvia. Over to you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Yes, just to clarify, I'm going to post then the document that you will send us on the wiki page, but requesting comments from the rest of APRALO members not yet, right?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct. Yes, we'll do that on or about the 8th of March, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Oh, okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We just want to have a bit of time. I mean, nobody here has seen it other than with me throwing it up via Julia today. Anyone who's ever written or edited one of these things will have a good idea of how many hours I put into this.

But hopefully, it's enough of a backbone for us to get our work done in time. But we do all need to have a good go at tidying it up and making it mutually ours with whatever changes.

And if we need to have a call – and I believe we will need to have a call – before we put it out for regional deliberation, can I suggest we look at meeting no later than the 6th of March, which would be two days before our last deadline? So that would be meeting in a fortnight's time. Silvia, you might want to just double-check with everyone that we can have a meeting probably at this time in two weeks' time on the 6th of March.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The only purpose of that call will be to finalize the draft document for it to then go out to the wider regional community. And that, hopefully, will get us back on track despite us taking almost two months' worth of holiday.

Okay, I'm going to now call for any other business. I note in the chat that Maureen is asking "Where can we access the document?" I'll put it up on the wiki as an attachment. I will send it to our list as a document, which will be a Word document format.

I will warn you that don't use Microsoft products. I use open-source products. So I save them as .docx or .doc, so sometimes formatting there does get mucked up, but that's just tough.

And what we might do if we're all happy to use Google Docs, we'll use the wiki to do discussions and ask why section 1.2.3.4 is written that way. And then once we've agreed, we'll make sure that whatever we agree on is captured in the Google doc. So we might use the Google doc as the master document.

And those ardent editors and drafters amongst you, feel free to use the Google doc as long as you follow the rules of making sure any annotations or edits you make are easily attributed to you. In other words, you need to sign in.

And I will send your invitation to edit the Google doc to whatever e-mail address Silvia has for you for this working group. So if you want it to go

to a perhaps Gmail account that isn't what you subscribe to this working group for, please, let Silvia know.

I think that's the only action item from all of us. Silvia simply has to sort out the meeting for the 6th of March, same day, same time. And we've got a little bit of wiki work to do.

So I will take a deep breath and stop thinking about the editing of this document until tomorrow morning and then by this time tomorrow have you all with access to a slightly neater version than the one you've looked at today.

Thank you, one and all, for the work you are about to do. I'm going to sit back and enjoy some spare time because I spent a fair amount of my time to get this to this stage.

Ladies and gentlemen, I appreciate your time. I certainly appreciate Julia. She has saved me today because things I was doing on the wiki when the call was about to start simply weren't working. So, Julia, you are truly a godsend. Thank you very much, indeed.

Alright. See you online, and we've got until the 8th of March, team. Let's get it done. Bye for now.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you. Thank you very much, everyone. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]