
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Thank you, Sergio. On today's call on the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Aida Noblia, Aislan Vargas Basilio, and Diego Acosta Bastidas. On the English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and we have apologies from Jacqueline Morris and Olivier Crépin-Leblond. Our interpreters today are Veronica and Sabrina, and from staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen.

May I please remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcript purposes and to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. Thank you, and over to you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Julia. Thank you for reminding speakers to say their names before taking the floor. That is something that I had forgotten at the beginning of this call.

Since this is our first meeting, there are five items on our agenda. Okay, we have proceeded with the roll call, so item number two has to do with what our task is, that is the purpose of this group.

Thirdly, we will focus on the election of the chair and co-chair for this group. I have taken the liberty to somewhat put the topics for this meeting in order, if you will, because I was the proponent for this meeting but, of course, we need a chair and a co-chair for this working group.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The fourth item would be the organization of the group, that is to define work or tasks and responsibilities. After that, we will address temporary metrics and, finally, any other issues that may pop up during the call.

So, let us focus on our task. What is our task? We have to focus our efforts the most here, that is to define them. We thought about having a working group on ccTLDs because of certain developments throughout the recent history, at least the recent history of LACRALO during ICANN meetings. This has to do with presentations regarding .fk and .gs.

Sometimes, or at a certain point, there are certain interests related to new domain names that perhaps there's a similarity to a country or a region. Also, certain or different activities within ICANN and there comes a point when we start seeing the way in which things or developments evolve within our region regarding ccTLDs. We see that there is very little participation or opinion in our region or from our region, so we represent end-users, first of all.

Secondly, ccTLDs have a direct impact upon our countries. Thirdly, this direct impact has to do with the role of the state, the role of the administrators or managers of ccTLDs, and we end-users have a lot to contribute in order to improve this work.

Also on a separate note, ICANN has been producing documents from the ccNSO topics related to IDNs and domain names, and you very well know that it is important to use non-Latin scripts, for example.

So all of these topics are being discussed within ICANN, and it would be very interesting for LACRALO as a region with a strategic view to start

contributing to this debate or this discussion within ICANN. That is why it is my understanding that we have to focus on this.

Now, I don't know what your expectations are regarding all these topics, so I will now open the floor so that you can put forth your ideas, your comments so that we can agree on what the task of this working group is going to be.

So having said this, I will remain quiet, and I now open the floor. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I can't raise my hand, since I'm not at the computer anymore. If you could let Sergio know I wish to speak while there's nobody else in the queue. [inaudible]

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Go ahead please, Dev. You have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Sergio. Apologies as I'm not in the Adobe Connect room. There's no electricity where I am right now, so I'm dialing in from my cell phone.

These are policies that come also out of comment of the ccNSO policy group. Obviously, yes indeed, the qualities of the country codes of the ccNSO does impact end-users, especially end-users within this territory.

So I do think that a working group such as this as part of the [inaudible] be to look at the [inaudible] that would happen at the ccNSO level and to respond to any policies that are coming out of comment of the ccNSO [inaudible] but typically though posted for all of the communities in ICANN to comment on and for us to then see what are the impacts of this if [inaudible] ccNSO, how it impacts the end-users. So I think that's probably something which we could do.

Secondly, having said that, ICANN can't really control the policies of ccTLDs within the ccTLD [inaudible] regions or to establish such quality first. So ICANN doesn't really have control [inaudible] a generic top level domain because at ICANN you have, you know...hello? Am I still on?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Yes, Dev, you are still on.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh okay, thanks. So ICANN has more contractual relationships with generic top level domains, with registries, with registrars and so forth and a more indirect relationship with ccTLD registries.

So I'm not sure what our potential impact is in that regard because I don't think that is something that's likely to change in the foreseeable future. I'll just stop there and, of course, [inaudible].

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Dev. I don't know if Aislan, Aida, Diego, or Silvia would like to make a comment. Thank you, Dev, for your comment.

Oh, before proceeding, there is a member called [Sultan], there is a participant called [Sultan] on the call. Maybe this participant would like to introduce himself or herself?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: I would like to take the floor. I would like to make a comment regarding what Dev said. That is, we have a liaison with the ccTLD group, so maybe we could invite that person. I don't know who is ALAC's liaison to the ccTLDs, so we might invite that person to participate or to join us on our next meeting and address what Dev said regarding the foreseeable future and the changes. So we could invite this person so that this person could tell us about the view of ccTLDs with regard or respect to the users. That's just an idea.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Sylvia. Any other comments? Your idea is pretty good.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I will respond to Sylvia.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Of course, Dev, go ahead, please. You have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you again. Thanks, Sylvia. Indeed, ALAC has a liaison to the ccNSO, and the ALAC liaison is Maureen Hilyard. She works, monitors all

that happens within the ccNSO and brings to the attention of the ALAC any issues that ALAC or At-Large might be interested in.

So typically on the ALAC monthly calls, there is a liaison report that is prepared by all the liaisons to the [inaudible] including the ccNSO's report. [inaudible] we can invite Maureen for a call if there is need for one, but I'll say that the first step will be monitor and watch the ccNSO liaison report, and we want to ask questions if she can be here. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Dev, for your contribution. It might be interesting to coordinate a meeting with her and maybe have her doing one of our meetings so that we can have a closer approach to the debate within the ccNSO.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: I would like to take the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Go ahead, Sylvia, please, of course.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Just a point of clarification – apart from Maureen, it was my understanding that there was somebody from the ccTLD. Am I right, Dev, or not?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: The liaison from the ALAC to the ccNSO is Maureen Hilyard who has taken over from Cheryl Langdon-Orr [inaudible]. The ccNSO has a liaison to the ALAC. I think it is – right now my mind has gone blank – I think it's Ron Sherwood. I believe that's his name. I can check on the computer when the power comes back up and get the name properly. So he can also be contacted regarding anything that you think that is happening within the ccTLDs that is of concern to end-users in Latin American and the Caribbean.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you. Thank you. Silvia, is that clear now that Dev replied?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Yes, thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Now I don't know if Aida or Aislan would like to make a comment.

AIDA NOBLIA: Yes, I think it's very good to receive input from these people that are addressing these issues. Not long ago, there was a request for comment from the different geographic regions. Carlton Samuels was in that group, and we spoke about frontiers/borders among countries and the possibility to integrate countries to other spaces different from geographic regions. I don't recall all the topics very well right now, but this bares a relation to ccTLDs.

So I believe there are plenty of elements or factors to be considered. I am quite new. I have just been within ICANN for a year now. These are very profound topics with many nuances, so first of all, we need to have or receive as much input as possible in order to analyze this topic.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Great, Aida. Thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Okay, regarding the ccNSO and the ccTLD as well, within this working group we have to study the report on geographic regions because no doubt this will affect decisions that have to do with ccTLDs. So that is one of the documents that we could post or distribute so that everybody can study that material and focus on the results of what this group on geographic regions have done, that is the end result the group presented to the entire community. So we should study that, as well. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Sylvia. I have just posted a link in the Adobe Connect room. This is a link to the material on geographic regions, but I have posted material that has to do with an introduction to ccTLDs, that is what IANA is doing in term of domains and the roots and what are the ccTLD agreements between ICANN and the CCs. So sensitive documents are involved.

Diego Acosta Bastidas, in Buenos Aires, was asking whether we could access these documents. In the case of Ecuador, the agreement defined

with Ecuador is also there. So there are plenty of documents that I have just posted, so it would be very good for us to read those documents.

The documents are in English. Maybe we find some of them in Spanish. So unfortunately, it is very difficult to have machine translation of documents that are in a PDF format, but what is posted on the Web can be very quickly translated. We have the Chrome, for instance, and some other Internet explorers or navigators that allow these translation features or functionality.

But basically – oh excuse me. I didn't post the material on geographic regions. Let me check. Please, bear with me for a minute. No, I didn't post that material.

So I believe that we have to focus on geographic regions. There is a report on revocation in the – I don't know if we addressed that in our prior LACRALO call, but we do need to start focusing on that, regarding ccTLDs.

So there are plenty of topics that have to do with these groups, so we have to put all these topics in order. So we have to focus...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I want to say something.

INTERPRETER: Yes, Dev, I would love for – this is the interpreter. I will tell Sergio as soon as I can.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We have to focus on all these topics, and we have to focus on specific points so that our discussions are enriching. So we have certain deadlines to meet, that is by January 31 our region has to express its view regarding certain reports, regarding revocation of ccTLDs.

So that is a report that was sent in October, and the window for a comment closes on January 31. So it would be interesting for us to read this material, see if we are in agreement or not with what is being done, see whether we are in position to make a comment.

Maybe we are still not up to the circumstances, but I think that this is a good motivation, that is to draft a regional recommendation on a report drafted by the ccNSO. Does anyone want to take the floor at this point in time?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, please. I do want to speak some. Please [inaudible]. Can you hear me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, of course. Go ahead, please, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thank you. I want to respond on this issue of the geographic regions reports. I'm going to actually I would say disagree, and the reason why I'm going to disagree with this: first of all, the geographic

region report is an important one because it talks about how the regions are organized within ICANN and how countries fit within those regions and therefore how the ccNSOs are structured in terms of [inaudible] and so forth, so it is an important document.

However, from a ccTLD perspective, it doesn't really make any changes in how ccTLDs will run in term of its policies and so forth. So from a ccTLD perspective, there is no impact regarding how ccTLDs will run or anything in that regard.

Now, the report has been published and, in fact, I believe it was available in multiple languages, so Aida and Sylvia, you know, [inaudible] you can study it, as well LACRALO could study it.

However, I think that if there particularly any changes or recommendations now, I think it has passed because ALAC already has sent its comments and voted on ALAC comments on this geographic regions report. The vote happened in early January and I believe now that the [inaudible] actually have commented on it, it's now in the hands of the ICANN Board for study.

So I don't know if there's any opportunity to make any meaningful comments to the geographic regions report [inaudible]. And keep in mind this geographic regions report [inaudible] we will find in previous ICANN meetings.

So my suggestion is that if LACRALO as a whole wants to look at the geographic regions report and make comments or recommendations, that's one thing. But from a ccTLD perspective and it will be a ccTLD

issue, the two are not related in that regard. So that's my comment on it. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Dev. Aida, you have the floor.

AIDA NOBLIA: Thank you. I just wanted to say that I do agree with Dev when it comes to changing because we know there is a report already done. And what we're suggesting in fact is that in this first page we should accumulate or gather information together so as to be able to define because at least, myself, I do not have very clear in my mind the objective of this working group.

So I know what ccTLDs are, but I am not sure about the focus they have. So perhaps we need to take into account this report on geographic regions because it is related, and this would be to gather certain elements together so as to see how all this material impacts on ccTLDs and what materials we can produce regarding ccTLDs. That is my comment.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Aida. Diego, would you like to make a comment? Dev, of course, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Sergio, and thank you, Aida. I agree that this document is an important document, and as a participant of At-Large more should read it because it's a very important document. It talks about how ICANN as a whole views its geographic regions, and the final report made various recommendations as to how ICANN should proceed.

So obviously, we should study that document but not as part of this working group because this is [inaudible] to look at issues related to country code top level domains, and to me this geographic region is not really good. I mean, when we hear the words country code...

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, Dev, perhaps you've dropped. So while you reconnect, I will proceed with the meeting with the call. First of all, just to be clear, we need to read the report for the sake of participation.

When it comes to the Malvinas issue, there were certain comments regarding the previous draft. I don't remember well, but I think it was two years ago, or one year ago – perhaps, Sylvia, you might help me remember, I think it was two years ago – there was an outworking group that was working in San Francisco. It was in San Francisco.

So there was a working group working on different topics regarding geographic regions and how to optimize this and the view ICANN has regarding the Internet world. This is just to put it somehow. So it would be interesting that we'd take this and that we'd start building our ideas. I don't know if this has the data impact of ccTLDs, so I think we need to read again the report and take the report into account to start producing our own materials.

The other point or topic that we need to address and which has to do with ccTLDs exclusively is a document for use by the ccNSO which has to do with the revocation of the ccTLDs. According to what I've seen in the information provided by Dev, there is no [leeway]. The deadline is January 31, so we have only eight days – let's say nine days – for us to draft the document or two documents.

So the question is: which are we going to choose or take? On the other hand, we need to see, if we are considering the two documents, how are we going to divide ourselves to work with them?

So I would like to discuss this, but before going into that discussion in order to close this item, I think we should define the chair and the co-chair of this working group because this is very important. This will be important for the leadership of this work. So is there anyone who would like to make a comment?

Aida, is that you? Aida, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA:

Well, I wanted to say that I do agree with you. We need to read both documents. As Dev said, these reports are important, and we need to be aware of the geographic regions because ccTLDs are part of those regions.

We also need to read the other report, but it would be just a question of dividing the activities. I don't know the processes. It would be time-consuming for one person to read both documents, but in my case I

need to review the information so as to be able to contribute to the group.

I have been reading and I have been participating in the discussions and following the inputs and comments made by Carlton Samuels and some other people. So I could review those comments, and I will try to read the other document. But as I said before and I repeat, these are the inputs that we need to take into account in order to produce one document to meet that deadline, which is January 31.

The idea is to have an objective – a goal – for this working group, and January 31 is not the goal. I think the group was created and we can work until January 31, but this will be important because of the knowledge we will gain. And I am talking from my point of view from my personal perspective, but I think we need to define the goal of the working group.

I think it would be good to read both documents because it will be useful for the working group, but if we're able to post comments by January 31, okay, that would be very good, but we need to focus on the main goal of this working group.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Aida. I have two persons raising their hands: Silvia Vivanco and Diego Acosta Bastidas. I don't know who will be the first one. Diego, go ahead, please. Silvia, if you don't mind, I will give the floor to Diego first.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, of course. No problem, Sergio. Go ahead.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Diego, go ahead, please. You have the floor. Diego, are you there? Okay, Silvia, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

SIVLIA VIVANCO: I just wanted to repeat what Aida has just said regarding something which is not very clear for me, and this is the objectives of this working group. I think we need to debate and discuss the ccTLDs and take into account the ccNSO, and that would be the first action item.

Perhaps we can talk to Maureen for her to speak to us, but I would also like to know or to have a short-term objective or goal for this working group, and this would be in terms of the public comment periods that are open now.

But we also need to set long-term objectives and general objectives. So my question is: what are those long-term objectives to be able to help you define within ICANN certain people who can come to this group to help you, to speak to you, and to discuss with you about these topics? Thank you very much.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Silvia. I think that, on one hand, we have one open working group which we not only take into account the policy discussions from the ccNSO or GNSO or other specific working groups

working on ccTLDs. But these working groups, I think, should have the possibility of defining or having a regional overview regarding ccTLDs.

The ones who have been participating for a long time realize that usually some points are in the legal standpoint. And this is something that happens in our everyday life of Internet users, so this is not applicable to geographic regions and we need to take into account continents as well.

They have a different view. They have regional views regarding policies, in this case regarding ccTLD policies. The Latin American and the Caribbean regions does not have a concrete standpoint. So we need to evaluate or assess the conditions of ccTLDs in the different countries to assess the regions – to evaluate the regions – and based on that to take different actions regarding ccTLDs.

I don't know if this is clear enough, but I think this is the path to go. That's why I posted point number four, the temporary metrics. That is to say, we should have temporary metrics. This will imply that we can have metrics in terms of different tasks because I think this will be a long-lasting group. These are the dynamics of the Internet. We will be working continuously in topics related to related to ccTLDs.

Sylvia, you have the floor. Go ahead, please. Sylvia Herlein, please go ahead.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

Thank you, Sergio. I raised my hand when Silvia asked her question, and I think, Sergio, you answered that question very well.

The idea of this working group came up due to the specific problems that we already have. We have ccTLDs that are related to LACRALO, so the idea of having a regional overview of ccTLDs, well, that would be our main goal.

So we can have that on one hand, and on the other hand, we can take into account the report or the work on geographic regions. I think we can summarize all these in item three and define that item as a main topic. So we can analyze any specific problem already existing in any country and post that into the mailing list so that other LACRALO representatives read or review and can contribute with problems their countries may have with ccTLDs. Thank you very much.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Sylvia. Aida, you have the floor.

AIDA NOBLIA: I fully agree with Sylvia. This is also the development and the diagnosis and survey of the ccTLDs. When you see there's problems of ccTLDs in the region, and taking into account the time we are undergoing and the development of IPv6, well perhaps I know these are complex issues but perhaps we can address these issues as well.

We can define the relationship or how ccTLDs might be affected by the IPv6 development in the different regions. Perhaps these would be more complex issues, but I think that these might impact on ccTLDs. I mean, the development of all these domain names might impact on ccTLDs.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Aida.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I want to say something.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Just to reply to your comment, I would say that even though these are different or separate issues or topics – ccTLDs and IPv6 – these topics have [LACNIC] but I think that they are, in fact, related because we can produce or have a map of the ccTLDs in the region and this does not mean to grant or assist a dot to a ccTLD.

For example, we can have Argentina with .ar. If we have a map of the regions with all the ccTLDs in the countries and if we perform an analysis, this will take perhaps quite a long time but that task or that activity might help us to deepen into other activities.

For example, those related to IPv6 perhaps might not be considered within this working group. Perhaps we need to create a separate working group to work on IPv6 because this is a topic that has a high impact on our region, and sometimes the development possibilities are not that high.

I can give you the example of Argentina and the companies working in Argentina. There is no investment by companies, and perhaps all that might be a reason to start discussing this topic of IPv6 implementation is a separate working group.

We can also start working with the RIRs on the different regions, but these are two different activities. At least that is my point of view.

I don't know if there are any other participants who would like to make a comment about this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would like to make a comment.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We are running out of time, so we need to go to item number three. When it comes to item number three, well, this is the definition of the election of the authorities – the chair and co-chair. So it is up to us to define the chair and the co-chair for this working group.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Can you hear me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So I think it's important to define the chair and co-chair for this working group.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Can you hear me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Dev, go ahead please. You have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you very much. Thank you. I missed quite a bit of what was said earlier. I want to go back to the issue regarding our charter. I just think that we really need to understand what our charter is before we decide who can be a chair or a co-chair of a working group because we're still discussing what it is.

I think there was some question – I think it was from Diego – that was asking about the particulars from the Geographic Regions Working Group. It's in the report. I'll find the link, and I'll post it again to the LACRALO mailing list. [inaudible]

But essentially the geographic regions made various recommendations that the regions be as they are. If a country wishes to be aligned with a different region, it can do so. Once it has the approval of that country or territory or government, they can do so. There were about ten recommendations. So we can find the report and, again, I'll be happy to post that to the list.

I just got disconnected when I was hearing Sergio talking about I believe it was IPv6 and so forth. Might I suggest probably an idea for this working group is to really, well, I think it's a long-standing objective for At-Large Structures to be able to work more closely with their ccTLDs in their country.

So when it gets more impact to the ccTLD policies in that country rather than trying to – how to put it – make impact on the ccNSO is appropriate. But what I'm hearing with these types of localized issues –

IPv6 deployment and so forth – it may be better realized in proper discussions with the ccTLD directly.

So I would like to suggest that perhaps one of the objectives of this working group is not so much to talk about IPv6 but to strengthen the relationship between ccTLDs and At-Large Structures.

Finally also Sergio, you had mentioned a map. Well, the LACTLD, which is the organization comprising of ccTLDs from the region, they already have a map that's often shown at [inaudible] ICANN things and it's on their website. It's a very large poster, and it shows all of the ccTLDs in the region. So that map is already done.

And of course, LACTLD also has their meetings to discuss issues. So is there a possibility then for sponsorships, for example, to go to LACNIC meetings? Is that a possibility?

Look for strengthening the ties between, so looking at the need to improve our collaboration with LACTLD and with your local ccTLD in your region. That I think is probably what this working group [inaudible] rather than look at IPv6 alone or anything like that. So I hope I made my point clear. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you very much, Dev. Thank you for your comments. We have very little time. I think Dev has supplemented or added more information to what we have been discussing before, so I am happy to see that we are on the same page.

And now, we need to discuss three things. I see Silvia is asking for a five-minute extension. I think that will be enough. I know that you are looking at me, or many of you are looking at me, to be the chair of this working group. I would prefer to have another chair, but I have no problems in being the chair of this working group. But if I did that, I mean, Dev, would you like to be the co-chair of this working group and work with me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, it's not about if I'll be the co-chair. I think given that we're running out of time, might I suggest this action item: one, [inaudible]. I think once we have that documented and people could comment on this and so forth, by the time of the [inaudible] meeting we have a very clear idea on what this working group is going to do.

Then we can look at the positions of chair and co-chair. I don't think we should fill [inaudible] the chair and co-chair of this working group now because we're still trying to figure out what this working group is going to do.

Well, let's pick out what we want to do. Let's put that on the wiki page, and then we can move ahead with – that is unless there's some large disagreement with LACRALO – then let's proceed with a chair and co-chair. That's it. I sincerely [inaudible] this needs to happen so fast.

VERONICA: We are not receiving audio from Sergio, so perhaps he dropped.

JOSE ARCE:

Sorry for interrupting. I don't know if I may take the floor. I see Sylvia with her hand up, but thank you very much, Sylvia. I am not a member of this working group, but I would like to make a clarification which I believe is important taking into account the activities of the region. I think we should involve in this issue of the chair and co-chair, and we need to give these positions to people who are newcomers. For example, Aida is a person who came to the region not long ago, and she's very committed. That's my comment.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

Thank you very much, Jose. I have a question and perhaps a clarification, but I believe that Jose is right. I think Aida would be a very good chair or co-chair because she's new to the different working groups, but she's very committed and very energetic. So the reason why I indicated Dev as a co-chair is because he participated a lot and he's very knowledgeable. So I believe that the chair and co-chair should have a minimum knowledge about the topic.

But what I did not understand is the reason why we should first define the topic and then we should elect a chair and co-chair because otherwise I am contradicting myself regarding what I have said about Dev. We need to work on that, and I believe that anyone could be the chair or co-chair of this working group because everyone will be involved in reading documents. So I don't see what is the barrier not to elect or not to define the chair and co-chair now. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I am back. I see many people typing. Jose, I see you typing, so welcome to the group. It's a pleasure to have you here. Aida, you have the floor, but we only have very few minutes.

AIDA NOBLIA: I just wanted to say – sorry for interrupting you, Sergio – I do agree with Sylvia. I think that we should have people with great knowledge because I am very willing to work but I do not have the necessary amount of knowledge.

And I also agree with Sylvia in that we are [inaudible] and we need to define the topic – the task – of our working group because this is not something which is clear. We have different elements to assess and to consider. Anyways, this has been a very productive call, but I think we can define the chair and co-chair afterwards. I don't see why we need to define the chair and co-chair now.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much. Are there any other comments? Dev, you have the floor. Go ahead, please, but please be very brief.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Just to say that [inaudible] Aida to be considered as a chair or co-chair. It's good to get newcomers/new persons who are involved in ICANN policy discussions, so I would support that.

I was just saying, because Aida herself has now said again we need to at least define clearly what we are trying to do and what this working

group is about. If you define what you're going to solve, and then the group comes together to solve these problems.

Obviously, we discussed it, but we need to put this down on the wiki page and so forth. [inaudible] interest of time because I know it's well past the hour. That's really my chief concern. If Aida was willing to be considered as chair, I would be willing to be considered as co-chair. I'm just wondering because I know it's beyond the hour and I [inaudible]. I've been here for a while so, you know. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Sorry, I was not able to understand the last part of your speech or your comment. Could you please repeat that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I was saying I was not trying to – I know that we're reaching the end of the call, and that's why I said that we don't need to do this now. But if you really feel that you need to define the chair and co-chairs now, I will support Aida for the chair of the working group, and I'll be willing to serve as a co-chair of the group, as well, if you want to move things forward. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. Dev, is there any other comment?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No. I think as an action item we need to put all this talk, all of the discussions as to what we want this working group could do on the wiki page. So that's our key action item to come up with at this meeting. That's it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much for your comments, Dev. I do agree with you. This is on the agenda. When the agenda was drafted, I didn't pay attention to the order. But I think that we need to organize ourselves. I am now chairing this call, but any of us could be the chair of this call. But I believe it was necessary to get organized to start and to finish with the previous topics. So this was just a question of order.

We can define a chair and co-chair so that we can then develop the other items on the agenda. Now, when it comes to the definition of our task and responsibilities, well, I do agree with you. We need to focus on that.

Even though we have defined the overview of the big outlook, we need another call to keep on discussing this. I don't have any problems with accepting the appointment of a chair and co-chair, but I think this is something important, and I think that we need to work together.

I don't know if, Dev, you agree with this. If you have [inaudible] we can accept. We can start working.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I agree. It will be fine.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: But as Jose said before, we need to take into account and we need to be willing to work. That is the most important thing. If there is any topic that we do not know, we – the ones participating with ICANN – have criteria, and we have our judgment as well, and we need to work. We're volunteers and we're willing to work. And we learn. Every time we work, we learn.

So what we need to have is the willingness to work. We only have four minutes until the end of the call. Dev, if you agree with that, we will bring this call to a close, and we will continue with another ICANN.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think, yes, we can close the call and have another call to discuss. I'll put it up on the wiki, you know, what this working group is about. We can then have another call to review that. I agree.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, thank you very much. Do you think that we can meet again next week? That is an open question.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We can have perhaps not on the same day because I will be abroad. It could be on Friday, but could we have a Doodle pool, Silvia? Because I

will be out of the office the whole week until Friday. So let's circulate a Doodle pool with a possible date. Or if it is not next week, it will be the following week – perhaps Monday or Tuesday of the following week. What do you think about this?

We still need to be able to discuss other topics, but we need to bring this call to the end. Now the question is: is there any other questions or comments?

Okay, so the three remaining items will be open for discussion for the next call. So thank you very much for your participation. I repeat: I think it is very important to have our chair here with us in the call, and let's meet in the future.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I just wanted to say that I would like to invite you to keep on discussing the issues and topics on the wiki and through the mailing list so that we can have information. We will circulate Doodle pool for next week or the other.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you very much, Silvia. Thank you very much to the interpreters for their time because they are always helping our region, so we are very thankful. Let's talk, and see you later. Good-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]