
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group Webinars Team call on Thursday the 23rd of July 2020 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Hadia Elminiawi, Barrack Otieno, and Abdulkarim Oloyede.

We have received apologies from Joanna Kulesza, Maureen Hilyard, and Alberto Soto. From staff, we have Claudia Ruiz, and Heidi Ullrich will be joining us in a moment.

Our Spanish interpreters for today are Paula and Lilian. Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their names before speaking for the transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels.

Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Evin, and thank you all for participating in today's call. Let's take a look at the agenda. If we all agree to it, then it will be adopted. I'll give you a few seconds. Seeing no objection, no hands up, the agenda is adopted and let's review the action items from our last call.

So, Capacity Building Working Group webinars list of experts survey to be for webinar speakers only. Title of database to be At-Large capacity building—okay. Abdulkarim, you had some action items. So we will

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

discuss this during the call. And then next webinar, and Gisella to ask Justine to send brief description, and we'll talk about that as well.

So if we can go back to the agenda, please. Next steps on the experts Excel sheet in ICANN-related topics, and Abdulkarim, would you like to update us in relation to this item?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Thank you very much. I just want to give a brief update on what I think is going to be the way forward, because I think there are some issues or there are some things that need to be clarified before I can give a definite proposal. So I'm thinking what we can do today is actually clarify some of these issues.

We talked about the criteria as an expert, what is the criteria we're going to use, and for me, my thinking is we really don't need to use any criteria because I think there is no incentive in any way for someone to claim what they're not, because I'm thinking it might be difficult to say—okay, what are we going to say? Based on previous experience? Are we going to say—so my thinking is there isn't incentive for anybody to claim what they cannot do.

What we need to do is to make it clear that this is what is required. If you [are an expert] in this area, you might be required to give a presentation on that topic, if you feel comfortable, you want to give a [inaudible] presentation on that topic.

Then the other thing which I'm also looking at which was also mentioned was to say, okay, what is your level of skill when it comes to

a particular topic? Low, medium, high expertise, which is something we can include on the Google doc.

Then we also said we want it to be uniform for all RALOs and to make sure we engage with the RALO. so the other thing is to have a list of topics on the Excel sheet, which is something like what we have now on the screen. My thinking with this is because I looked at it—and just like what was mentioned during the last meeting, is that some of these things are actually broad.

Yes, I agree with you that some of this is actually broad, but I was thinking it's going to be difficult to break them down. Now, what we can do is to also create two Google sheets. Number one is name, topic that you think you can actually talk about or you can give a presentation about, then your level of expertise.

Now, we'll create another Google sheet where we can say, just like what we have now, for people to suggest topics they're interested in. I know we have a list of topics at the moment, we can also incorporate what we have at the moment and see if anybody is ready to add more. But if we for example were talking about community networks, community networks, I think it's a little bit out of scope for ICANN but to me, yes, it's a little bit out of scope, it depends on the community.

So that's why I think what I'm going to come up with, if we agree, is something as simple as what we have on the screen now which is just a Google sheet and say, "Can you give us that?" Rather than we sending out a survey. I think this is going to be simple enough rather than having to go through a survey, because a survey might be ... I don't know. So I

want to open the floor. I don't know if we have the time for people to give their suggestions so that by next meeting, I will come up with something definite. Thank you very much.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Abdulkarim. So I think we did agree that we don't need a survey, but let's talk about it again, let's see what others think as well. And in relation to the topics, for our purpose—and we need to remember that we are not putting out an expertise sheet in general but we are putting out an expertise sheet in relation to our work as a webinar team. For that reason, I think that the topics need to be much narrower than what we have now.

So you mentioned for example community networks and whether this is within ICANN's remit or not, but for me, it's not about ICANN's remit but it's about what kind of webinar could we do in relation to community networks. So I think the topics should address the issues that we could do a webinar with, and we need to remember that we are a Capacity Building Working Group.

And as for the RALOs, I think that also, my suggestion is that this sheet would be a central sheet, like we don't need to send it to the RALOs, it's a central sheet for everyone who would like to participate in the webinars. And that would avoid sending to RALOs. Again, because it's not a general expertise sheet but it is very specific.

So that's what I think, and let's open the floor for others as well. I see Cheryl, your hand is up. Please go ahead.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Sorry, Hadia, before Cheryl, can I quickly ask a question? Are you saying we should not include the low, medium or high level of—

HADIA ELMINIAWI: No, I didn't say that. Yeah, I think maybe you could do that, and if it's low, then definitely, we won't get whoever indicated that it's low expertise field as a presenter or speaker. No, I did not actually refer to that. So I see Cheryl, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. A couple of things. Yes, we are a capacity building team, the webinar aspect of it at least. But we are an ICANN capacity building team, so I strongly encourage you to, at least in these embryonic changes of this little exercise, to limit ourselves to topics that we know are likely to make the shortlist for what we will be presenting with community over the next 12 to 18 months. Otherwise, people are going to put themselves forward in whatever level of expertise they think they have and not be called upon or not even be got back to to say that their topic is going to be shortlisted. So I think we need to watch the reciprocal aspects of this, otherwise people just get jaded and don't respond anymore. And I gathered that the purpose is in fact to expand our group, not to make them pack up their bat and ball and go home.

So with that, can I encourage you, Abdulkarim, to look to what is currently on the forecasted agenda for public comment, which does go out over the next 18 months or so? I'll also encourage you to look at

what is in the at least proposed and final drafting of the five-year strategic plan as well as the current focuses that the various supporting organizations are looking at. And that should help us winnow down some of it if you just use this list. and if you winnow down this list by taking away the things that are clearly not going to make the cut over the next couple of years, I think that might be a more rewarding experience. High, medium and low, whatever scale is fine as far as I'm concerned, as long as there is a scale. And of course, the scale is only one part of it .[We should actually like to, dare I say, to have at least heard of this person] or seen this person present, also to be able to say, yes, they are clear and articulate, or no, they are boring and a “death by PowerPoint” person.

So that can go on later though. So let's see if you can winnow it down to be the most rewarding experience for both sides, and then see how we go then. But you've got an extraordinarily small audience to be pitching this to today, Abdulkarim, so [inaudible] another time as well.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you very much, Cheryl. The other specific question I would like to ask is, [so that means] there is no need to actually ask people to suggest topics. What we should rather do is to suggest a topic and ask them to just put their name in front of the topic. Is that correct?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I thought I was really clear. You need to winnow down, we need to present, and we need to say, “Here are these seven topics that we are looking for speakers for.” Not ask them. Otherwise, you get all this fluff

and nonsense that isn't going to make the cut through our capacity building design. So design, and then ask. And there's several in there, probably eight or nine on a quick look, that would do that. That's what I'm saying.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Okay. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Cheryl. That was really clear. So, does anyone else want to speak to this item? I see no hands up. So the action item in relation to this agenda item- would be for Abdulkarim to narrow down the topics. So Abdulkarim, you'll be coming back to us on the next call.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Yes.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. And if we're done with this agenda item-, let's go back to our agenda and take the following. So update for the subsequent procedures webinar on Monday, August 3rd. As I understand, Heidi contacted Justine. And Heidi, would you like to update us in relation to this agenda item?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi everyone. It's actually Gisella, and she's off today. However, I'm aware that—it sounds like it's only going to be Justine on this call, and

she's planning an animated type of presentation. So we look forward to that. And that is where we are currently. No other presenters on that call.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So, do we have a brief description for the webinar, or not yet?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I will need to get back to you on that. Let me see if I can find that.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, because before we agreed on staff contacting Justine, I had sent her an e-mail asking for the brief, and I assume that now she would be sending the brief to you, because we need that in order to proceed with the ...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, we do, actually. We do have a brief description. Let me put that in the chat.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, thank you. So actually, we can go ahead and start advertising the webinar, right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. You can go ahead and do that.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: And did we agree on the time? Did we communicate the timing of the webinar to Justine?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me just take a look. I think it's going to be 13:00 UTC on Monday the 3rd. That's what Gisella has indicated on that. So she says, "I'm considering preparing an animated presentation." So that's why she would like to have only herself on as presenter.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So we can start advertising the webinar, correct? What do we need to do for that? We had Natalia last time, she had a [very nice] card. Natalia, would you like to—I see your hand up, please go ahead.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you very much, Hadia. So I'm ready to make a promo for the next webinar. So I need just information, short description and photos, and a short bio maybe if our speakers would like to present on promo cards. And I'm ready to [inaudible].

And if I can, I would like to come back to previous item, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, sure.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you very much. So I already said a week ago during our call that we have in EURALO the same Excel sheet of expertise of our members, and if I assume that in each RALO, we have [inaudible], I think we can use this database to pull speakers on topics or to change speakers if our webinars will be repeat. So just my idea. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thank you, Natalia. So your suggestion is actually to use what already exists in order to call upon speakers for our webinars. And definitely, this could be used, but I think what Abdulkarim was suggesting is something different, and it's not related to ... It's more of a central document for the purpose of the webinars. So it wouldn't typically, I think, include the broad topics that you have or that other RALOs have as well, and it will be central and people can just log in and determine their level of expertise. However, that does not preclude that each RALO could actually use their own lists that they have in order to also suggest speakers. And maybe you could also contact when we have this list of topics out, maybe you could contact your experts in certain fields and tell them, if you would like to be presenters or speakers, please fill in the Excel sheet and determine your level of expertise on the topic. So I think that it's slightly different.

NATALIA FILINA: Yes. Thank you very much. I understand, but I think that we can just ask directly if we will have problems with speakers for example or with the free time for attending the webinars, our speakers, and we will at the

same time activate the participation of our members as speakers. Just this idea. So thank you for the explanation.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: But yes, sure, we definitely [need] to make use of your list as well. It's an additional something that already exists.

NATALIA FILINA: Yes, Hadia. I agree.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: And Abdulkarim is agreeing as well. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you. And apologies in the delay in getting that description. Claudia and I think it may have been too long. May I go ahead and just read that briefly?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. It is too long.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is from Justine, this is a brief description of the webinar. "During this webinar, the guest speakers will take participants through a brief overview of the new generic top-level domain—gTLD—program and suggest answers to four key questions around the topic of new gTLD rounds and subsequent procedures. First is how does new gTLD

program impact end users, the second is what are subsequent procedures, third one is why should subsequent procedures matter to end users, fourth is what's next with subsequent procedures and new round of new gTLDs. And then although introductory in nature, the guest speaker will attempt to touch on the end user connections to selected subtopics for which policy development is taking place within the GNSO New gTLD Subsequent Procedures policy development process working group. Thus, this webinar is not only suitable to those who are less familiar with the new gTLD program in general but it will also provide an opportunity for more seasoned ICANNers to reaffirm or reacquaint themselves with why and how subsequent procedures matter to the At-Large community.”

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you. Yeah, that’s a comprehensive description, and it seems like a very interesting webinar. I'm looking forward to attending it, actually. So that would be actually the description that Natalia would put on the promo card, and then in relation to the photo and maybe the bio, will staff me contacting Justine for that, or would Natalia—I think it’s more appropriate that staff contact Justine for the short bio, and maybe only a few lines and also [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, Hadia, she actually has already provided a few short paragraphs about her, so we have her bio. We’ll ask about the use of her photo in any kind of mail card as well as whether she approves the use of her image on Facebook. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, very good. So I guess we are good now for Natalia to start developing the promo card, assuming of course that Justine would allow us to. And when are we expecting to advertise to the webinar? Could this happen tomorrow?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Normally, we do it about a week or so in advance, but just two things are that, A, we need to first get her permission for the use of the photos before any kind of promotion, and secondly, just wondering, it looks like we do have [a nest] now for the agenda. So, are you okay if we go ahead and update that agenda page? I'm assuming that you'll be moderating and introducing Justine.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. I can do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And do you also—

HADIA ELMINIAWI: [inaudible] Joanna or Alfredo—

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't believe—

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Joanna or Alfredo— yeah, they're not. So unless Joanna would like to do that, I can actually introduce [the module.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'll follow up with her on that. And then also, the same question about who wishes to moderate the questions and answers. I think it's normally the moderator as well.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, exactly. So let's see if Joanna is interested in moderating it. So let it be. If not, I can do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: okay, so I'll send the draft agenda to the three of you, Joanna and Justine and you, and we'll go from there. And then once we get permission—I'm sure Justine will respond overnight about the use of her photo, and then Natalia, we can go ahead and likely start promoting that by tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, very good. So the target is to start advertising by the beginning of next week, correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's correct.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, very good. So the action item here would be to contact Justine to get permission for using her photo, and also for contacting us in relation to the moderator who's going to moderate the webinar, and also forwarding the information to Natalia to start working on the promo cards.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Noted, thank you.

NATALIA FILINA: Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes.

NATALIA FILINA: So I would like to say that I think we need officially to tell all the members of our working group that they can send me information directly. I mean photos, descriptions, and don't hesitate to ask to make a promo as soon as possible, I will be happy to do it because sometimes, unfortunately I cannot attend our calls, but I'm always happy to [inaudible] this information to do it so fast. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Natalia. The only thing about having staff actually ask for the information and then forward it to you is for the reason of permission, and for the privacy and legal aspect of that. And I think that's why we

need actually staff to do that and then forward that information, because we might end up, as we did before, with a promo card that we cannot use.

NATALIA FILINA: [inaudible]. Thank you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you. And if staff also agrees to that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Staff can do that.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, thank you. So we go now to, if there's nothing else in relation to this item—and I see no hands up—let's go to our next agenda item, webinars good practice document, and that's the document that was developed by Alfredo. So I think we need to revise and approve this document. And I've been speaking to Alfredo and actually, he would like us to do that.

So we need to revise and approve it, and then based on this document, we would like to create a checklist that we can use in relation to each of our upcoming webinars. So the checklist would include the staff person who will be responsible for a certain action item, so whether it's staff or maybe Natalia doing the promo cards, or maybe contacting the speakers. So based on this document, we would like to come up with a

checklist with dates so that we could follow that in developing our future webinars.

So I don't know if you all read it or maybe we can quickly go through it. I don't know if I should read it. I know we can all read, but would you like to—

NATALIA FILINA: Hadia, [I just wanted to ask,] do we have this document [inaudible]?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Excuse me?

NATALIA FILINA: Yes, I'll repeat my question. Do we have this document from Alfredo for comments, or just for reading and using?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: No, it's been up for some time for—anyone can comment or suggest edits to it.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So if you haven't had the chance to do that, then I think we could postpone this to next time. We are already done with what is required

for our next webinar. Hopefully we could agree and approve this document and create the checklist, and we can use it in our following webinar, the one in September. So we could actually go through this next time.

Seeing no hands up, I guess you agree, so the action item would be here for the webinar team to review the best practices for webinar document in order to approve it for next time, and then the other action item would be to develop a checklist based on this webinar best practice document.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hadia, I didn't catch the second AI you just stated.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

It's creating a checklist based on this document. So the checklist will be basically a table or a document. Yeah, it's a table which includes the action items that need to be taken before every webinar, and that table would include also the person responsible for the action item. So for example, staff would be contacting the speaker and asking for so and so, and then that would be with actually timing, like first week, second week, third week, and for example, Natalia would be developing promo cards, and those promo cards for example should be ready by the third week. So it's a checklist or a table based on this document.

Of course, I do realize that we need first to adopt the document in order to create the table. However, I don't think that there will be major

changes on our next call. So that's why I think that we could also develop the checklist or the table by next time as well. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I've captured those.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thank you. So Natalia, please go ahead.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you very much, Hadia. So I would like to say that with this document, we are coming back to our idea about the webinar for our At-Large members, something like brilliant speaker, for example, and this document and this checklist is wonderful idea and I think it may be the core of speaker [training] and in general, I think that we were discussing with Joanna, I remember, that we will create maybe [school of] At-Large speakers within our work, and I think we can even select the best speakers every years and award them. I think it may be not separate but, I don't know, special part of our work. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thank you, Natalia. So my suggestion would be maybe recognizing all of the speakers instead of trying to see who's better. I'm not sure that—well, but I don't know, that's just my take, recognizing all of them I think would serve our purpose better than trying to say who was better. But anyway, this is something we could discuss on future

calls. Yes, we may discuss in the future. Definitely. Let's try to put this on a future call and discuss this item.

So seeing no hands up, we can go to our next agenda item. If we can go back to the agenda, please. Okay, so upcoming webinars, we already discussed this last time and I don't think we have anything new, but maybe we can reflect on the—if we could please see what we have on the table now. I think we have a table created for that purpose. So we have [—that's] August and then we have Holly in September.

And our next webinar, we were not able to determine the time, the date, but we can actually list it, if you would like, the sixth webinar could be about IoT, the DNS and ... There was a suggestion. I think we talked about it last time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I think the next one after that would be—[I think there's an action item.]

HADIA ELMINIAWI: The DNS and the Internet of Things, or would it be ATRT3? Because those are our two topics, actually, that we agreed on putting, ATRT3 and the DNS and the Internet of Things.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so I have [it from those] action items here. Let me see if I can get this.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: And ATRT3 had also a little bit of a description because it wasn't purely ATRT3.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Hadia, I put what was agreed from last week into the chat.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Okay, so October is ATRT3 outcomes in the context of At-Large and continuous improvement, and we can add this to the table, and then November, the DNS and Internet of Things.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Hadia, should I add all of those? Obviously, no date yet.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yeah, I think so. Let's do that so that we populate our table with the upcoming topics, and then let's decide on the dates later.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, thank you, Heidi. So that action item would be updating the capacity building webinars table with the upcoming webinar topics. So, seeing no hands up, I think we are done. Let's go back to our agenda.

Yeah, so next call, would you like to have our next call on Thursday, same time? Just to make sure that everything is going fine with the upcoming webinar and that the promo cards are out, the webinar's being advertised. And also, we could revise and approve the best practice document and go over the checklist. Abdulkarim would also update us on the experts Excel sheet.

So, can staff confirm our next call, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. I'm making an action item for Yesim to schedule the CBWG webinars next call for Thursday, the 31st of July at this same time.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Very good. Thank you. So, Any Other Business? Seeing no hands up, we're done. We finished a little bit early today, so I think that's good. Thank you all for your participation, for a very productive call, and thank you, staff, for your continuous support and thank you to our interpreters. This call is now adjourned. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you everyone. Bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: [inaudible] everyone, enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]