EURALO Flyer Project Profile

What is it?

EURALO Leaflet/ Brochure (printed)

Size / number of pages or words

Fits on one sheet of paper, both sides, two or tri-fold? Easy readable explanation of EURALO work

What is the main point we are communicating?

To interest readers in joining EURALO as ALS and add to its work

Who is the main person we are writing to?

Average Internet users, non-technical; none or minimal knowledge about ICANN.

If there is a secondary audience, who is it?

More technical users, who did not realize there are ways to participate in ICANNs work.

What do we want the reader to do or feel because of seeing this piece?

Get interested in ICANN, visit our website, get acquainted with what we do and apply to become an ALS.

How will the reader get this?

Will be distributed in different events and conferences.

How will we measure whether or not this piece is successful?

Aiming for at last 1 new application from the European region.

Other descriptive notes /Considerations

This is intended to be the official paper presentation material for EURALO

The EURALO Flyer will be inserted in the At-Large Brochure

Tri-fold EURALO Flyer (Revised 11-2009)

IC_Euralo_Brochure_1.pdf

At-Large Brochure (Updated 11-2009)

IC_At_Large_Brochure_High.pdf

----

Version 4 - Final Proposed Draft

INVITATION TO JOIN EURALO

Go beyond simply using the Internet. If you are a European end-user organization concerned with Internet-related issues, you can help influence its operation, growth and development.

The European Regional At-Large Organisation (EURALO) invites all interested European civil society organisations to join it in influencing the decisions that shape the Internet.

WHO WE ARE

EURALO unites European voices of ICANN’s At-Large community, including Internet-related civil society and consumer interests, to ensure their views are included in the bottom-up, consensus-based, multi-stakeholder ICANN policy development process.

Our members include around 35 organisations working on Internet-focused issues, including Internet Society (ISOC) chapters and consumer groups across Europe formed into individual At-Large Structures (ALS).

To ensure that we represent the full diversity of Europe, we need to hear from you and your organisation. We are looking for members representing every European country. If you care about openness, security, privacy and other Internet-related rights or improved on-line user and consumer protection, come join us.

OUR HOT ISSUES

ICANN policy is important for every individual Internet user who goes on-line. In EURALO, policy issues we are particularly interested in include:

· Introduction of the new Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)
Familiar TLDs, such as .COM, .NET, .ORG have served well. However, EURALO is working to influence the launch of new gTLDs - .GREEN, .BERLIN, .SPORT, .SURF and an endless variety of others, bringing rich new potential to how users form communities and search on the Web .

· Trademark issues
The launch of the new gTLDs raises questions regarding potential abuse of trademarked names, and the balance between the rights of trademark holders versus the freedom of expression of the average Internet user. EURALO seeks to provide answers to policy questions about intellectual property and consumer interests, Internet rights and principles.

· Your Internet, your language
There are now more non-English speakers on the Internet than English speakers, yet web addresses such as URLs support Western, ASCII characters only. EURALO is helping resolve issues around implementing internationalized domains and URLs, even for languages that read from right to left, or that use hundreds of characters.

· Transition from IPv4 to IPv6
The current Internet Protocol addressing system (IPv4) is a resource facing depletion. To make sure another billion users will be able to connect to the Internet in the future, the addressing system is transiting to the next generation (IPv6). EURALO contributes to such policy debates as ensuring IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence and interoperability.

· Protection end users from harm
Increasingly, organised criminals are misusing domain names and the Internet addressing system, to create spam networks, pharming and phishing attacks. As ICANN is responsible for managing the identifiers that are being misused, EURALO works to battle domain hijackers, reduce spam, and ensure the adoption of consumer-centric solutions to cyber-threats.

· ... and many more!

You can help make the Internet more secure, more useful: come and join us in EURALO.

HOW TO JOIN US

For more information about EURALO and the benefits of becoming an At-Large Structure, please contact us at wolf.ludwig@euralo.org (this address and forward, created by Matthias, works for sure – other options like info@euralo.org etc. I don't know!)

Learn more about EURALO on our wiki at: https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi

WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT US

“The ICANN/At-Large Advisory Committee/EURALO nexus is the best forum we have to deal with Internet-related policy issues such as security of the individual and Internet. Thus our participation as an ALS within EURALO is our contribution to the broader participation of Internet Users.”

- Christopher Wilkinson, ISOC Wallonia, Belgium

“I have been a regular user of the Internet for a long time and went to an ICANN meeting in Paris in 2008…I participated in meetings of the ‘At-Large’ constituency, representing millions of individual Internet users worldwide, and was impressed about the inclusive processes which were in place to make sure that my voice was heard.”
- Olivier Crepin-Leblond, EURALO Chair, France

__
(Version 4 contains 642 words)

Version 3 - Draft

What is it all about

Today using the Internet is more trivial than driving a car. You can can use the Internet for work, education and entertainment without even knowing know how it works.

Certainly, when writing an e-mail people do not need to know about the Domain Name System (DNS) or other particularities of Internet regulation. When using Facebook, Myspace or other social networks, it may be reasonable to know some basics about privacy and data protection. To recognize, what is once posted on the Web will remain there forever... When downloading music from the Internet, you might want to be aware about the basics on relevant copyright laws – or otherwise you may find your self in trouble.

You are using the Internet... so why not influence and help shaping how it grows?

Our hot issues

· Introduction of the new Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)

Existing TLDs, such as .COM, .NET, .ORG are such an old news. Currently, in a process of development is the introduction of the new gTLDs - .GREEN, .BERLIN, .SURF and endless variety of others. We are helping decide how Internet addresses work, how the addressing system develops and is made secure, launching the new TLDs.

· Trademarks abuse

Some institutions worry that new gTLDs provide new ways to abuse trademarked names. How the rights of trademark holders and the freedom of expression of the average Internet user shall be balanced? Euralo is involved in discussions about intellectual property and consumer interests, Internet rights and principles.

· Your Internet, your language

Now non-English speakers can go online using their own local language characters. However, there are technical challenges for the implementation of some scripts, like those that read from right to left, or languages that use hundreds of characters.

· Transition from IPv4 to IPv6

Current Internet Protocol (IP) addressing system is a scarce resource. To make sure another billion of users and devices will be able to connect to the Internet in the future, a new version of the Internet Protocol - IPv6 is needed. How to ensure the IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence and interoperability? Are new security risk and speed limitations going to be introduced? EURLAO contributes to the dialogue on this issue.

· Battling domain hijackers, reducing spam, phishing or pharming attacks

· Improve transparency and accountability of ICANN in the interest of Internet users; shaping the future structure and governance of ICANN
· ... and many more!

Who we are

We are part of the At-Large community of individual Internet users who participate in the bottom-up, consensus-based, multi-stakeholder policy development process of ICANN. ICANN policy is important for every individual Internet user every time they go on-line.
We are the European Regional At-Large Organisation(EURALO) and we represent European individual Internet users and consumers. EURALO streams various voices, including governments, private business and civil society and consumer interests and is making sure those voices are heard in the process of decision making and policy development in ICANN.
We speak with the voices of approximately 25 new media, privacy or Internet rights-based organisations, Internet Society (ISOC) chapters from Europe formed into individual At-Large structures (ALSes).
To ensure that we represent the full diversity of Europe, we need to hear from you and your organisation. If you care about openness, net neutrality, digital divides, security, privacy and other civil rights in the information age or improved user/consumer protection, you should get involved.

You can help make the Internet more secure, more useful: come and join us in EURALO.

How to find us

Do not hesitate to contact us at info@icann-euralo.org (to be created and transferred to Wolf and Dessi)

We are looking forward to answer your questions.

Learn more on our EURALO Wiki at https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi

What others say about us

(Here the testimonials should be inserted)

Dessi Greve
09 August 2009

Comments:

Dear All,

As I promised, I am sending you another version of the document, shorter and much to the point of our hot issues. Please feel free to further develop it.

I am not a designer and I don't have the applications needed to design the look of the leaflet itself, so this task needs to be done by someone else.

-Submitted by Dessi Greve; 9 August 2009

contributed by heidi.ullrich@icann.org on 2009-08-14 00:41:57 GMT

Whoa!
Great job.
I have one additional proposal, to add the following sentence:
Help us to achieve one of our goal: At least one ALS by country in Europe.

All the best

Sébastien Bachollet
9 August 2009

contributed by heidi.ullrich@icann.org on 2009-08-14 00:42:58 GMT

It's great – thank you. Couple of minor bits of editing to do (can can (smile) ), but it's looking very good.

contributed by ajp@glocom.ac.jp on 2009-08-17 12:18:14 GMT

On 8/11/09 10:13 AM, "Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" wrote:
Dessi, Sebastien and Scott,

Please find below a "simulated" question/answer session as if you asked me, a EURALO member, about a testimonial re: EURALO. I thought the format Q&A engages the reader more, because they can relate to the person who is answering the questions. IMHO, It's more lively like this. Of course, cut/paste/delete/modify/scrap at will. (smile)

I've looked at the flyer and am concerned that it does not engage the reader enough. I was hoping that Scott could, for one, format it in a sexier way than the way it is presented at the moment. Add pictures - even using a stock picture of 2 people speaking to each other, each with a smile on. Make this human. Add a simplified diagram about ALS > EURALO > ALAC -> ICANN Board path. Make it understandable. Bright colours.

Our public will be skeptical of (1) ICANN and (2) EURALO - it will ask "what can EURALO do for me?".

The current version of the flyer, although interesting and although containing some important text, is to ICANN what the PC is to computing. If we are going to attract new ALS's we need to make it the Apple product. It needs to show all the facts, but also that it's not a question of "if" they should join, but "when" they should join.
It needs to get rid of language like "phishing of pharming attacks" - which relates to food-related terrorism for most non-technical internet users. (smile)

If EURALO's going to stand out among the dozens of groups that will be represented at those meetings, the flyer has to be exceptional and it has to show a human side to it. We're not politicians. We're not geeks. We're not companies. We're people, so let's show that!

I'll have a look at the text in more detail & make a few amendments, if that's okay with you. (and perhaps I'm arriving too late & most of what I've said has already been done, so apologies if that's so)

Warm regards,

Olivier

• cut here —

Questions to a EURALO member

Q. How did you hear about ICANN and EURALO?
A. I have been a regular user of the Internet for a long time and went to an ICANN meeting in Paris in 2008. Immediately, I found out that one of ICANN's constituencies was the "At-Large" constituency, representing the millions of Internet users worldwide. I attended some of their meetings and was impressed about the inclusive processes which were in place to make sure that my voice was heard. In fact, my opinion was asked and taken into account early on. That really impressed me.

Q. Why did you join EURALO?
A. The Internet is used by millions of people worldwide and is, arguably, the most significant factor of social change in the world today. It has an increased influence in our life and affects everyone of us, and this means that the future of the world is closely linked to the future of the Internet. What's peculiar about it is that the Internet Ecosystem does not involve a rigid top-down hierarchy of decisions. It doesn't have a president and no government controls it. Instead it consists of grassroots multi-stakeholder bottom-up decisional processes, where everyone, governments, corporations, service providers, users etc. come to the table and discuss its future, thus reaching a consensus about where to go next. ICANN is one of the pillars of the Internet Ecosystem and I wanted to make my voice heard, because I believe that we, the users, should be able to decide on our own future.

Q. Does this really matter?
A. Yes, it does! The Internet model is under threat from many sides. It's somehow understandable since the Internet is a catalyst for change in the world, and established powers, whether political or commercial do not like change. Some governments and multi-nationals want to have more control over what's going on. We argue that control must stay in the end user's hands. It's not just about a few geeks speaking computer language - it's about our future, and our children's future. It's about their ability to decide on what's best for them. If we do not make sure we keep that freedom of choice today, they might not have it in the future.

Q. So you're just a bunch of militants, then?
A. (laughs) No, not at all!
We're people and organisations from very varied backgrounds, scientists, academics, artists, lawyers, engineers, journalists, men and women who all have a common understanding that without users, there would not be an Internet. Domain names, .COM, .NET, etc. are an important part of the Internet because they are labels for information web sitesn email addresses etc. If we, the users, do not make our voice heard today, we'll end up paying in the future for the consequences of remaining mute.

Q. Any words for an organisation wishing to apply as an At-Large Structure?
A. Don't hesitate to apply!
EURALO needs more European input. EURALO is the voice of millions of Internet users in Europe. Since I've started taking part in EURALO, I've not only met and spoken to some incredibly talented and interesting people from all walks of life, but I've also contributed to many comments on ICANN policies. I've realised that together, we have a real voice and can really influence policies which will guide tomorrow's Internet. That mission "for the good of humanity" is something which I'm glad to spend some time on and I'm glad to offer members of my organisation, the opportunity to make their voice heard.

• cut here —

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-17 23:12:57 GMT

Thanks for the input, Olivier!

You have done some good work here — unfortunately, it’s not all applicable to the brochure we’ve been discussing. The EURALO team clearly has a desire to reach out to utterly non-technical, non-geeky Internet users. I applaud that desire. However, according to what the team has told me, the printed piece currently in development is not that piece.

In a conference call last Friday, the team agreed that the goal of the current piece is to help someone affiliated with an existing organization feel inclined to register it as an ALS. Given that goal, we have to assume their organization has some basic knowledge of the Internet. (There’s no way one brochure will move, for example, Knitting Circle of Grandmothers to become an ALS.) With that context, I believe we ARE writing to a reader who knows what phishing and pharming are. I believe that text should be retained.

All the words trying to describe what the Internet is, the fact that it doesn’t have a president, etc. should be saved for a different brochure, one you create for the Internet newcomer — but since those words do not support the goal of getting the leader of a group to register as an ALS, they don’t pertain here.

Please remember the physical dimensions you are constrained to if you are making an insert for the existing ALAC brochure. You should probably target something like 400 words per side; perhaps fewer words if you want photos. Olivier has sent nearly 600 words. It’s simply too long.

Olivier, many of your suggestions are helpful, and I apologize if my comments seem over-corrective. EURALO has enviable amounts of creativity! However, over the months I hear various team members reconsidering the entire purpose of the brochure. Until the whole team starts pulling in the same direction, nothing will get finished. Those of you with great drive to educate the total newcomer, feel free to start conceiving a second brochure. For this current piece, I suggest you all stick with the goal stated Friday. And rather than working toward the perfect brochure that will be done “never,” work toward a pretty good brochure that will be done in September. (smile)

Best Regards,
Scott Pinzon
Director, Policy Communications
ICANN

• 11 August 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-17 23:14:31 GMT

Dear Scott:

thank you for your prompt reply.

You have done some good work here — unfortunately, it’s not all applicable to the brochure we’ve been discussing. The EURALO team clearly has a desire to reach out to utterly non-technical, non-geeky Internet users. I applaud that desire. However, according to what the team has told me, the printed piece currently in development is not that piece.

Olivier: Mea culpa. There is a saying in France that says "Les absents ont toujours tort", effectively meaning that absentees are always wrong, and yes, I should have been at the conference last friday.

In a conference call last Friday, the team agreed that the goal of the current piece is to help someone affiliated with an existing organization feel inclined to register it as an ALS. Given that goal, we have to assume their organization has some basic knowledge of the Internet. (There’s no way one brochure will move, for example, Knitting Circle of Grandmothers to become an ALS.) With that context, I believe we ARE writing to a reader who knows what phishing and pharming are. I believe that text should be retained.

Olivier: Heidi's very kindly forwarded me the message that was sent out after the teleconference, including the pdf of the At-Large brochure. I must say that this befits my idea of what needs to be included in the EURALO brochure than including text about phishing & pharming. I'm just concerned that EURALO will only attract smelly teenagers with greasy hair wearing taped glasses & fighting for pirate rights. I know how to avoid them since I used to be one of them. (smile)

All the words trying to describe what the Internet is, the fact that it doesn’t have a president, etc. should be saved for a different brochure, one you create for the Internet newcomer — but since those words do not support the goal of getting the leader of a group to register as an ALS, they don’t pertain here.

Olivier: Ok. Agreed.

Please remember the physical dimensions you are constrained to if you are making an insert for the existing ALAC brochure. You should probably target something like 400 words per side; perhaps fewer words if you want photos. Olivier has sent nearly 600 words. It’s simply too long.

Olivier: Cut, cut & cut more. Pick & mix if there's any sentence/word/syllable which might be of interest, take it. I don't mind, as long as it gets us closer to having this brochure ready on time. I'm so verbose, 60k words wouldn't be enough...

Olivier, many of your suggestions are helpful, and I apologize if my comments seem over-corrective.

Olivier: That's what I was looking forward to. I'd rather have a frank reply than a note telling me it's interesting & no outcome at the end. I'll study the At Large Brochure pdf & Dessi's draft & revert soon.

Warm regards,

Olivier

• 11 August 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-17 23:17:45 GMT

Testimonials :

From Christopher Wilkinson (11 August 2009)

Dear Sébastien:

Thank you. I apologise for the delay. I was away. I would say the following:

1. Our Chapter is convinced that the interests and knowledge of Internet users must be brought to bear on the management of the Internet and related policies.
These include Governance, Languages and Culture, Security of the individual, including children and security of the Internet as a whole.

2. The ICANN/ALAC/EURALO nexus is the best forum that we have got to deal with some of these issues. Albeit sometimes cumbersome and off-topic, participation is better than abstention. Particularly as the forum for progressive reform is in practice this nexus itself.

3. European representation: Europe lies at the origin of the internationalisation of ICANN and related entities. That committment must be carried through permanently on behalf of the global interest, but also on our own behalf. Thus our presence as an ALS is our contribution to the broader participation of Internet users.

So, there you go! Naturally I would accept amendment or gloss from the President of ISOC-Wallonia and our EXCOM colleagues, in copy.

Regards,

Christopher

From Veronica Cretu (13 August 2009)

Greetings Sebastian!

Nice to hear from you(smile)! I have recently returned back from Nepal, and right after had 2 experts from Germany at my NGO - as we are starting a new project .... so sorry for getting back late to you!

Here are some input as per what you have asked me to share about, meaning some reasons for joining ALAC, Euralo, ICANN, etc ...

" The reasons for joining these structures are two folded:

• Euralo, ALAC, ICANN represented at that point in time new opportunities, experiences, approaches - a platform which was structured in a way that allowed participation in decision making processes at various levels;
  • Euralo, ALAC, ICANN represented at that point in time new opportunities for sharing of the already existent experiences, approaches in other sectors/areas of development and transfered to the area of domain names, future developments of the internet, etc... These experiences of Eastern Europe were and are as important as all the other existent experiences from around the world .... "

Many thanks,
and stay in touch,
nica

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-19 20:39:15 GMT

Hi all,

Sorry for my silence up until now - things are kinda crazy over here...

Anyway, here are some points I would like to raise:

I think the draft flyer is an excellent starting point, thanks for this nice piece of work (wink))

I agree that it would probably be good to be more upfront with our aim. Thus maybe we could start the flyer with something along the following lines:

INVITATION TO JOIN US

If you are using the Internet, why not help influence its operation, growth and development?

If you are a member of a European civil society organization concerned with new media and/or human rights issues, why not join ICANN’s EURALO for this purpose? In fact, you can even join just as an individual concerned with these issues.

WHO WE ARE

(then continue to explain ICANN and EURALO):

• But as you can see, with these three sentences, we are again right in the middle of this sticky debate about individual membership, so care is needed with how we phrase this invitation.

I like the hot issues part very much and have the following recommendations:

Please let's use "human rights" instead of "civil rights" throughout, as it is broader (also encompassing social, cultural and economic issues, which for instance play a big role in new gTLDs and IDN).

I think concern with ICANN structure and democracy needs to be reflected in a separate issue point, not under IPv4 and IPv6.

I think the point about trademark has to be called trademark issues, not trademark abuse because we come at it from different directions and "issues" is less loaded.

Lastly, I am still puzzling over the following sentence:

EURALO streams various voices, including governments, private business and civil society and consumer interests and is making sure those voices are heard in the process of decision making and policy development in ICANN.

Somehow, I thought EURALO is about individual users/citizens/consumers and their voices? Could someone explain?

I also like the idea of testimonials, and I think it would be great if we could get some (dare I say invent some?) that take up the issues that Wolf raised in his first paras.

So much from sunny Berlin,
Greetings to all and signing off for the weekend,
Heike

• Heike Jensen

14 August 2009_

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-19 20:41:33 GMT

We use the civil society word 2 times I prefer end users organisations at least for the first time.
SéB

contributed by sebastien.bachollet@isoc.fr on 2009-08-20 18:52:36 GMT

First impression from an ICANN unaware person:

• "At-Large" is mentioned every two sentences, but never explained shorty
  • Looks like a "from insider for insider" brochure
  • After some conversation about ICANN itself and At-Large especially, it's ok.

contributed by lutz@fitug.de on 2009-08-21 08:20:27 GMT

My comments here include a reply to emailed comments on the gTLD list.

Version 4 is a great draft. It is a great improvement and feel a lot more engaging.
Also great comments from Wolf & Adam on the list.

Wolf wrote:

> (1) On version 4 - final proposed draft, after the 2nd sub-title "Who we are", second para "Our members include ..."). The variety of our member ALSes exemplified by "ISOC chapters and consumer groups" seems rather limited and not very representative. In fact, we have many civil rights groups among our ALSes. Could we add them (2 words only (wink) in this enumeration? It would read:
> "Our members include more than 25 organisations working on Internet-focused issues, including Internet Society (ISOC) chapters, civil rights and consumer groups across Europe formed into individual At-Large Structures."

Should we point out "ISOC chapters" in particular? I am asking this because some people still do not like ISOC and some organisations out there might be competing for members with ISOC, or at least, hunting on the same turf - so we might be putting some people off if we mention ISOC in particular. That said, I also support what Wolf says, and suggest we could also add "online communities" and/or "both computer-related and non computer related organisations".

> (2) The heading on the testimonials says "What others say about us" – in fact, the people quoted (Christopher and Olivier) so far and the ones asked like Veroniqua, Vittorio, Rena etc. are not "others" or outsiders but members or people rather close to us. Could we therefore say "What members say about us" or if we want to put it a bit more neutral "What people say about us"?

Also agree!

Adam says:

> I agree with Wolf's comments. Also wondered about influence and
> influencing used in the first and second short paragraphs. Would it
> read more comfortably if affect/affecting replaced one of them? (or
> some word to replace one of the influences, affecting is all I can
> think of!)

You're right, at least one of the "influence" has to go. I am concerned about using the word "affecting" because of that word's negative connotation.
I'd suggest "defining" in the first sentence: "you can help defining its operation, growth and development".

If we wish to replace both "influencing", the second instance of "influencing" could be replaced with "taking part in"
ie. "to join it in taking part in the decisions that shape the Internet"
although I'm at odds with using "in" twice so closely in one sentence...

Last but not least, what will be the format of the flyer? Is there enough space for a picture?

Warm regards,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond / Friday 21st Aug 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-21 14:13:37 GMT

agree with wolf's comments!
also, euralo member organisations should be described not named.

agree with heike's comments except one: i would not replace civil rights by human rights.

if we have a part "what others say about us" these others should be others and not members of EURALO (like christopher and olivier)

best greetings
annette

contributed by annette.muehlberg@web.de on 2009-08-21 14:49:51 GMT

Dear flyer working group,

Thanks for the new draft, Heidi and Scott!

I could not figure out how to highlight the text changes I wanted to proposed in our wiki, that's why I am attaching a document with the changes highlighted.

In terms of substance, these are the changes I propose:

• mention that individuals can join EURALO as well
  • mention human rights and human rights organisations in EURALO (crucial for organisations like the one I represent)
  • go back to the breadth of concerns we initially mentioned under Who We Are
  • rephrase the trademark issue in a more open-ended way
  • circumvent "harm" discourse
  • list concern with ICANN structure as hot issue.

While this looks like a lot, it really isn't, and I did not make the text much longer, either (wink))

Heidi, I don't know whether this should be posted as version 5, alternative version 4, or whether it is possible to put it in the wiki with changes from version 4 highlighted. Please do as you see fit (and let me know how to track changes in the wiki for future work (wink))

Cheers,
Heike
(contributed by Heike Jensen on August 21, 2009)

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-22 00:55:43 GMT

Dear, Heidi, Dessi and all,

the message has come through on the EURALO list (and the board list as well). Thanks a lot, Heidi and Scott, for your final editing what is short, concise and very well done! There are two minor details only I would like to suggest - the one to be added, the other to be changed.

(1) On version 4 - final proposed draft, after the 2nd sub-title "Who we are", second para "Our members include ..."). The variety of our member ALSes exemplified by "ISOC chapters and consumer groups" seems rather limited and not very representative. In fact, we have many civil rights groups among our ALSes. Could we add them (2 words only (wink) in this enumeration? It would read:
"Our members include more than 25 organisations working on Internet-focused issues, including Internet Society (ISOC) chapters, civil rights and consumer groups across Europe formed into individual At-Large Structures."

(2) The heading on the testimonials says "What others say about us" – in fact, the people quoted (Christopher and Olivier) so far and the ones asked like Veroniqua, Vittorio, Rena etc. are not "others" or outsiders but members or people rather close to us. Could we therefore say "What members say about us" or if we want to put it a bit more neutral "What people say about us"?

Thanks again and kind regards,
Wolf
(contributed by Wolf Ludwig on 21 August 2009)

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-22 00:58:15 GMT

Heidi, Scott, thanks very much for this.

I agree with Wolf's comments. Also wondered about influence and influencing used in the first and second short paragraphs. Would it read more comfortably if affect/affecting replaced one of them? (or some word to replace one of the influences, affecting is all I can think of!)

Thanks,

Adam
(contributed by Adam Peake on 21 2009)

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-22 00:59:30 GMT

Part of the reason that Heidi and I omitted some of the causes you mention is because we could not answer the question, “How does ICANN address this issue?” In my mind, though I personally care very much about human rights, the digital divide, and other issues, I cannot draw a straight line from ICANN’s mission statement of managing the Internet’s unique identifiers, to (for example) civil rights. (In the USA, the term “civil rights” usually connotes issues related to unfairly oppressing a given race or minority; does it have the same meaning in Europe?)

So, we’re trying to maintain a high standard — that whatever we mention or espouse in the text is something that ICANN realistically affects. If someone can make a persuasive case showing how ICANN’s work affects the digital divide (or any of the other causes cited), we’re happy to put them back in.

Scott
(contributed by Scott Pinzon on 21 August 2009)

contributed by heidi.ullrich@icann.org on 2009-08-22 01:21:51 GMT

Hi Scott and all,

I must admit, I really appreciate this discussion on content and details because it may help to improve our common understanding about backgrounds, intentions and reasoning why we (ourselves) got involved in EURALO. And hopefully the wording and messages in our flyer may benefit from this to mobilise and involve more people from all parts of Europe ...

Regarding your arguments, Scott, I think we should at least try to link what may not be obvious at a first glance ("How does ICANN address this issue?"). And let me take your example of civil rights: I am aware about the traditional meaning and context of the Civil Rights movement in the US in the 60ies etc. and this, by the way, strongly influenced political movements in Europe around 1968 and onwards. In the WSIS context, this human and civil rights discourse was again "re-contexted" with new challenges of the information age such as freedom of speech, communication rights, access to information, or in particular privacy protection and related issues (some of our members like Bill Drake, Heike Jensen or Robin Gross contributed to an excellent publication on Human Rights in the Global Information Society, MIT Press, 2006).

And this issues - even if not connotated at a first glance with "ICANN's mission statement of managing the Internet's unique identifiers" are strong concerns of many of our member ALSes and were driving factors to get involved at the creation of EURALO. If you follow the ongoing debate on the HADOPI law in France or the continued control and recent censorship attempts by the German government etc. you will easily see that "Bürgerrechte" or civil rights in the information age matters – and becomes an increasing concern for Internet users not only in Europe (this is a strategic consideration as well (wink).

When you ask for a "persuasive case showing how ICANN's work affects the digital divide", I can only say that seemingly technical decisions and standards always have social or political implications – in the way trademarks or IP rights or restrictions are used or abused (just see the recent ALAC Statement on the IRT Report), whether systems and architectures are based on open standards, whether you promote or restrict openness, access or diversity (like languages or new gTLDs) etc. In this sense ICANN's work always affects or is setting standards for or against digital inclusion or creating more digital divides (just take the IDN debate as another example) ... It may not, as I said, always be obvious at a first glance but since WSIS more and more people (not only) in civil society understood how much ICANN and its policy matters – and civil rights, digital inclusion and empowerment of users are crucial factors in the information age.

I hope that my arguments may be useful. Thanks again!

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-22 13:28:13 GMT

Hi Wolf and all,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I was not really aware of the controversy surrounding individuals, but of course I agree that the flyer is not the place to negotiate it, so let's leave them out for now.

With returning to "the breadth of concerns we initially mentioned", I simply meant the inclusion of a few more words like digital divide. Did you get the attachment with my last email to this group? There you can see what I had in mind (minor changes, not an entire rewrite, of course (wink))

Lastly, thank you Wolf for volunteering to write a brief testimonial. Please do it! As suggested in an earlier post, I think it would be great to have/retain something accessible and down-to-earth, particularly given that the other testimonials are a little bit abstract in my view.

Cheers,
Heike
contributed by Heike Jensen, 21 August 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-31 15:31:54 GMT

Thanks, Heike, for encouraging me to supply another testimonial for the flyer (wink) I would like to suggest something which came out of the recent debate with Scott.

"The Internet and new means of communication have influenced our work and private life vitally. Since the World Summit on the Information Society more and more people from civil society understood how much ICANN and its policy matters – and civil rights, digital inclusion and empowerment of users are crucial factors in the information age."

Wolf Ludwig, EURALO Chair

Wish you a wonderful weekend,
Wolf
contributed by Wolf Ludwig, 22 August 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-31 15:34:06 GMT

Dear all,

Thanks to all of you for this fantastic discussion and for the work done on the EURALO flyer.
I like very much how the text is developing and especially with the last improvements, coming from Heike. I like especially the way how the trademark issues is rephrased, it sounds much more in accordance to the European agenda.

I also agree with Wolf to restrain ourselves from rising the issue of individual participation in the flyer - it is not the right place for debating, and if an individual user would want to join before we have found a way to ensure this in the proper way, we will do anything possible to guide and assist that individual in order to make sure her/his participation is eligible.

Thanks again to the staff people and the drafting team for this excellent work.
Dessi
Contributed by Dessi Greve, 23August 2009

contributed by guest@socialtext.net on 2009-08-31 15:38:02 GMT

• No labels